Sponsored by:

2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM
dayunbao
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions

The steering wheel on my 911 starts to shake at about 70 MPH. I think this is due to uneven wear on the tires (I was told about this during the PPI), although it may be another wheel-related issue. So, I'm taking my car to a America's Tire Store on Friday. My roommate takes his BMW there, and has been happy with their service, so I thought I see if they can sort out whatever is causing the shaking. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to wheel/tire stuff. So, what should I know before taking my Porsche there? I don't like walking into situations like this without some knowledge. I realize that you can't rotate Porsche tires like you can tires on other cars because the front and back tires are different sizes, but is there any kind of rotating that can be done? Are there any gotchas unique to Porsches that the tire place may not be aware of that I should watch out for as they work on the car?

My second question is about washing as Porsche. There's a local detailing place with a stellar reputation that I'd like to take my car to for a wash, clay bar, and wax. However, their reputation is so good that they are booked for the rest of the month. So, I'll have to wash it a few times before I can get the detailers to put a good coat of wax on it. I don't want to end up with scratches or swirl marks, and so am a bit leery of washing/waxing it myself. I'm thinking of going to a "no touch" car wash until I can get an appointment with the detailers. Is there anything I need to avoid if I'm going to a car wash place? I once heard that the soap used at car washes can damage some kinds of paint (specifically paint used on German cars), although I' haven't thoroughly researched it myself. Is there any truth to that?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How old are the tires? You need to check your alignment. I had bump steer a while back and an alignment was the problem.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like your wheels need to be balanced and then get a good alignment. If you aren't running an asymmetrical tire or don't drive much in the rain, you can have the tires flipped on the rim to even out weak.

As for car washes, I find the ones with the brushes get my car much cleaner. I know that might make you cringe but it's what works for me. For my race car, which I don't take through the car wash due to lack of windows, I just use mothers showtime or meguiars to dry wash it.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:11 PM
dayunbao
Track Day

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
How old are the tires? You need to check your alignment. I had bump steer a while back and an alignment was the problem.
I'm not sure how old the tires are. I'll have to double check the CarFax. The car is a 1999, with a little less than 40k miles on it.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dayunbao
I'm not sure how old the tires are. I'll have to double check the CarFax. The car is a 1999, with a little less than 40k miles on it.
Carfax tells you how old tires are?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dayunbao
The steering wheel on my 911 starts to shake at about 70 MPH. I think this is due to uneven wear on the tires (I was told about this during the PPI), although it may be another wheel-related issue. So, I'm taking my car to a America's Tire Store on Friday. My roommate takes his BMW there, and has been happy with their service, so I thought I see if they can sort out whatever is causing the shaking. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to wheel/tire stuff. So, what should I know before taking my Porsche there? I don't like walking into situations like this without some knowledge. I realize that you can't rotate Porsche tires like you can tires on other cars because the front and back tires are different sizes, but is there any kind of rotating that can be done? Are there any gotchas unique to Porsches that the tire place may not be aware of that I should watch out for as they work on the car?

My second question is about washing as Porsche. There's a local detailing place with a stellar reputation that I'd like to take my car to for a wash, clay bar, and wax. However, their reputation is so good that they are booked for the rest of the month. So, I'll have to wash it a few times before I can get the detailers to put a good coat of wax on it. I don't want to end up with scratches or swirl marks, and so am a bit leery of washing/waxing it myself. I'm thinking of going to a "no touch" car wash until I can get an appointment with the detailers. Is there anything I need to avoid if I'm going to a car wash place? I once heard that the soap used at car washes can damage some kinds of paint (specifically paint used on German cars), although I' haven't thoroughly researched it myself. Is there any truth to that?
You might find that your wheel balance and alignment is ok, in that case look at the track rod ends, they are a known West Point on the 996!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:31 PM
dayunbao
Track Day

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Carfax tells you how old tires are?
CarFax might tell you if the tires were changed, but only if the garage who changed them uploaded that information. So I was thinking to look for that.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:31 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I recommend photographing your wheels before you allow anyone to change tires. that way when they scratch them you can show them the before pictures
Old 03-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a date code on the tires. VERY important that you check on that. Chance of catastrophic failure at speed starts to go up at 6 years.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

Cheers,

D.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

If they're the original tires with 40k mi. on them, 2 things - they're close to twenty years old and there's probably no tread left... In other words, it's doubtful they're the original tires. If they are original, just throw them away and get new tires - and don't do 70mph on your way to the tire store!... ** All the other suggestions re: alignment, balancing, tie rod ends, bushings, ball joints etc. are still in play... Good Luck getting it sorted out, and try to diy as much as possible - unless you got plenty of $$ stashed for maintenance.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:51 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Amazing!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:06 PM
stever996
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Amazing!
Yes! I wish the OP much luck. I think he/she may need some.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Amazing!

Yeah! Makes me wonder why some people buy these cars
Old 03-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Just a couple points of interest on this subject to add to the good points that have already been explained. These type tires are very prone to flat spotting if let sit for long periods. It was very common at the dealership for cars to sit for months without being moved and the tires would flat spot and have a vibration at 60-70mph and until the car was driven long enough for the tires to heat all the way up and remain heated for a period of time.

Also the wheels are very light weight and will bend easily if you hit a large pothole. Wheels should be checked when doing a PPI or when balancing or after hitting a pothole.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions