2002 face lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by e90steve
I agree, it's the most tasteful attempt at it, but you don't see 997 owners swapping their headlights for 991's.
Actually you do see this. There's an aftermarket headlight for the 997 that looks like the 991 PDLS+ LED headlights with integrated DRLs. There are 997 owners who do this. There are also lots of 997.1 owners who add LED tail lights that look somewhat like the 997.2 LEDs.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Actually you do see this. There's an aftermarket headlight for the 997 that looks like the 991 PDLS+ LED headlights with integrated DRLs. There are 997 owners who do this. There are also lots of 997.1 owners who add LED tail lights that look somewhat like the 997.2 LEDs.
It's not an attempt to change the whole shape of the headlight though. And the tail lights aren't a big deal... it's like having orange/red 996 tails and swapping for the red/clear. More personal preference not changing the character of the entire car.

I'm sorry to have gotten off track to the original poster. You have a great car. Overall, I really like it. Very clean. Headlight covers aren't my fav mod obviously. Don't want to seem like I'm bashing on anyone. I love the 996's including this one.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Ljt
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I got myself a C4S recently for the car it was designed. If I wanted a round light, I would have got myself a 997 instead, price difference is only very little apart. The wide hip of 996 and its awesome look is getting hot nowadays. I think people will soon start appreciating the unique look of a different 911(fried egg headlight) and the first water-cooled 911. It looks is classic and someone said it aged well too. I just love the car for what it is. The only thing I might consider is to make the exhaust a bit more audible like the 993.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:05 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

So I am going to sum this up this way. My buddy spent a million bucks modifying a 51 ford. Why would you pick an ugly car like that and invest that kind of money to do that if you can buy a 918... the car was his vision on how he felt the car should look when back in its day. He made it meet his vision and a week before he passed it was on a Jay Leno episode....it was a masterpiece. That is why I think we do what we do, we have a vision of a certain car and what we would do to it....This is what I love and this is what I love about the OPs vision. I am OK with not liking it but I do not want to discourage people from experimenting and sharing their ideas. This is a great experiment and its reversible. :-)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I love the headlamp cover look. For me, I think this brings the front end styling in line with the rest of 911 generations. I think the cover looks much better in person than in picture.
The proportion are quite different with 997.
Here is direct comparison between my 996 with headlamp cover and my 997.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:22 AM
501Max
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 44 Posts

I proudly fly my eggs...;0

Old 03-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

It's not an attempt to change the whole shape of the headlight though.
Good point. Like I said before, I had no issue with the OE headlights on my 996.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
So I am going to sum this up this way. My buddy spent a million bucks modifying a 51 ford. Why would you pick an ugly car like that and invest that kind of money to do that if you can buy a 918... the car was his vision on how he felt the car should look when back in its day. He made it meet his vision and a week before he passed it was on a Jay Leno episode....it was a masterpiece. That is why I think we do what we do, we have a vision of a certain car and what we would do to it....This is what I love and this is what I love about the OPs vision. I am OK with not liking it but I do not want to discourage people from experimenting and sharing their ideas. This is a great experiment and its reversible. :-)
Well said! The non-paying guy with a few posts and no profile picture needs to lighten up. I've had my 996 for eight years and still get a kick out of it every time I drive it. I also like changing things up with the looks a bit. It keeps it fresh for me. My appearance mods are all reversible. I hope the complaining guy didn't change out his orange side markers or put on black wheels because that would be blasphemy.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:00 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Well said! The non-paying guy with a few posts and no profile picture needs to lighten up. I've had my 996 for eight years and still get a kick out of it every time I drive it. I also like changing things up with the looks a bit. It keeps it fresh for me. My appearance mods are all reversible. I hope the complaining guy didn't change out his orange side markers or put on black wheels because that would be blasphemy.
At least the wheels would still be round and the side markers still rectangular. I'm all about appearance mods, not this one though.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:04 AM
Ljt
Track Day

Laphan, the headlamp looks really good, better than the 997 look
Old 03-04-2018, 07:55 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

That's fine, and I get it. Agree for the most part on the "Mod" comment, but this is akin to putting BMW halo headlights on a civic. I agree, it's the most tasteful attempt at it, but you don't see 997 owners swapping their headlights for 991's. If you wanted round headlights so bad, you should have bought a 997 or a 993. Buying the covers and putting them on a 996 just makes the car and the buyer look cheap, like they couldn't afford to get the car they really wanted.
What do you care what anybody else thinks??? So you think I can’t afford a 993, 997 or 991, so what?? I don’t care!! Nothing you do will satisfy the car snobs, so F em.

Do what makes you happy!! That’s what makes America such a great country.

I believe the talented designer is now working on Mk1 covers. I will definitely be a customer if they turn out good.

Last edited by JimmyChooToo; 03-04-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I don't understand people. The OP said " Yes I know some of you hate this, but for those that don't... " What part of that says please tell me that my mod is blasphemous in your eyes but your mods are fine? If you don't like it just move on to another thread. I see the same thing on YouTube all the time. There will be a video of a talented little kid playing an instrument or singing a song and invariably multiple people will click the Dislike button.

To the OP: I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to the MK-I version.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate it - looks like JC Whitney universal fit crap
Old 03-04-2018, 06:42 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
Hate it - looks like JC Whitney universal fit crap
Again, who asked you?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, who asked you?
I don't understand people. The OP said " Yes I know some of you hate this, but for those that don't... " What part of that says please tell me that my mod is blasphemous in your eyes but your mods are fine? If you don't like it just move on to another thread. I see the same thing on YouTube all the time. There will be a video of a talented little kid playing an instrument or singing a song and invariably multiple people will click the Dislike button.

To the OP: I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to the MK-I version.
Same one who asked you?

Quick Reply: 2002 face lift