Sponsored by:

Anyone caught doing over 100 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 03:29 PM
pete01_996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by riad
... in my rear view to see him fly off the road and into the trees and grass.... don't know what happen to him ...
That's the spirit!

You big jerk!
Old 12-25-2003, 07:49 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Default Re: Re: how fast?

Originally posted by Carlos from Spain

"Cause it won't go any faster..."

Nice

294 kph is about 182. that's better than book. 180 mph makes the national news here when you guys accross the pond get to do it legally (deutschland, anyways).

actually, the most impressive aspect of the 996, imho, is the acceleration from 100 mph to top speed...simply astonishing--especially for a paltry 300 hp!
Old 12-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by pete01_996
That's the spirit!

You big jerk!
How exactly am I a big jerk? Did I invite that guy to drive like an idiot? Did I force him off the road? Did I do anything to him whatsoever?

Listen if you want to flex on someone driving a $90,000 car than you better know what you're doing. I'm not responsible for morons that can't drive... sorry.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:14 PM
LegoDoom
Instructor

Maybe it's because you saw him drive off the road and didn't both to stop and see if he was allright.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Yeah, that post sounded bad. I almost suggested that you delete it so it would not be taken in such a bad way. Also hate someone to see that if by the off chance they knew the guy and he is now dead because he sat injured and unfound for several days. I have seen lawsuits over less.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:24 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I drive fast, too fast, I however, always back off when ever someone acts like the want to play. I don't even like people following behind me on the highway to take advantage of my radar detector and etc. Afriad their dumb *** might plow into if traffic gets snarled up.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:38 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doug- you're exactly right. I HATE it when people drive fast with me as long as i'm taking the lead. if you set them up so they MUST pass you, funny how the pace slows, isn't it?!

I like giving them the ol' 'speed-up, then lightly-hit-the-brakes-just-enough-to-light-up-the-brakelights' trick....watch their front end dive as you pull away....

if you're drivin' fast with me, you'll take your pull at the front.

oh - and i've never been CAUGHT over 100. bless my V1.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:15 AM
smk002
Instructor

In '86 or so I was caught trying to find out how fast my Alfa Spider was. On FL Turnpike (3AM, Completely empty, 'cept for me and the cop) I got it over 105, but resumed cruising at 80 or so. When he pulls me over he says I was pulling away from him at 95 so he giving me ticky for 99. I asked for a break and he says "Son you earned this one."
This was spring break and by the time I got back to school my parents are all over me about going 99. Still don't know how they found out.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:08 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Default i am on your side riad

riad

now leaglly, i have no idea what you're responsibilities are and...i think it would have been nice if you stopped to check out the other driver but i trully don't think you were under any obligation to do so. Two people made a choice that day. One persons choice netted them little more than a speedy trip another persons choice netted them an unplaned offroad adventure (and possibly death). while the later is unfortunate it has little to do with you riad. we are not after all lemmings.

and an answer to the speed question... i got my cab up to 160+ this morning on my way home from work and it was still pulling hard!
Old 12-26-2003, 09:34 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Imagine you're going 105 in your 996, you hit a piece of metal debris in the highway, shred a tire and off into the trees you go. Would you want the person in front of you to say "That's what that idiot gets for driving his Porsche so fast!" and continue on their way or would you want them to stop and call 911 if you were injured or trapped in the car which was about to catch fire? Jeez.

Vic
99 C2 cab
Old 12-26-2003, 10:10 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Riad, not passing judgement on you, but thats very very bad karma....
Old 12-26-2003, 11:16 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I have gotten nicked was on the way to Vegas from LA. Was going 115-120 but was able to slow down a bit before he caught up to me. Written up for 89 and was able to go to traffic school to clear it.

I think my being polite and certainly the 11-99 license plate frame helped (best $1200 investment I ever made ).
Old 12-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: i am on your side riad

Originally posted by jbdmd
riad

now leaglly, i have no idea what you're responsibilities are and...i think it would have been nice if you stopped to check out the other driver but i trully don't think you were under any obligation to do so. Two people made a choice that day. One persons choice netted them little more than a speedy trip another persons choice netted them an unplaned offroad adventure (and possibly death). while the later is unfortunate it has little to do with you riad. we are not after all lemmings.

and an answer to the speed question... i got my cab up to 160+ this morning on my way home from work and it was still pulling hard!
That's exactly my point. I was 1/4 mile ahead of this guy the whole time, we were not racing. He went into a large grassy area, not off a bridge. Here's the other thing, let's suppose I did pull off the road, double back on the other side, go into the grass and to help this guy and he pulls out a gun and kills me because he thinks it's somehow my fault. Or another scenario, he's hurt or his car is damaged and now the police come by and start asking awkward questions. And this guy starts telling them that I ran him off the road... now it's just his word against mine, and how do you think that would work out??

Come on people I don't want to see anyone get hurt ever, but the point of my original thread was not that I was happy to see him off the road (by the way if you're going to quote me, then quote a complete sentence) but that many people drive beyond their abilities, and/or their car's abilities.

If by any means someone thinks I was happy about what happened please reread the original thread and accept my apologies.

Rob
Old 12-26-2003, 12:13 PM
mim3
Instructor

I have never been nabbed at +100mph in a car. However, I do have a favorite road that I like to run on my motorcycle called the Cherohala Skyway www.cherohala.com. The last time I was there the group spent more time talking to local law enforcement then we did ridding. In that part of the US anything over 100mph is a FELONY. A couple of pals got slapped with court appearance tickets which resulted in stiff fines. The funny thing was that we got clocked by a helicoptor. Luckily it was in an area where we were chugging along at 80mph and not +140mph a little earlier. I should note that the speed limit there is 45mph.

For many years we never had any problems, but this area has become very popular with car clubs and sport bike enthusiasts. Almost all who are over driving/riding their ability. IMO anyone who wants to test their limits should do so first on a track. Be safe
Old 12-26-2003, 12:18 PM
pete01_996
Instructor

Default Re: Re: i am on your side riad

Originally posted by riad
...snip... let's suppose I did pull off the road, double back on the other side, go into the grass and to help this guy and he pulls out a gun and kills me because he thinks it's somehow my fault. ...snip...
So ... do nothing is the other option? Nice!

Hopefully you're just trying to justify you actions now, because the bare minimum you should have done is dropped an anonymous dime to 911 to let them know you saw someone go off road, and you're too self absorbed to actually double back and see if they actually need help, but, you didn't want the fact that there may be someone in the ditch slowly bleeding to death, to follow you to your self centered grave!

Quick Reply: Anyone caught doing over 100 mph?