Anyone caught doing over 100 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by Torags
What a unique treatment of the left lane; for passing. I wonder if that will catch on in the US.
People drive the way they think, slow and stupid. Commuting 100 miles/day I've seen some really insane driving. I'm going to install a DV camera someday...
Old 12-24-2003, 04:48 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sent my ticket in from about 2 weeks ago... Got caught on the FL turnpike doing 109 in a 70... Down here points are easy...I only got a ticket for the speed (no reckless driving) which was only 4 points!!!(12 in a year=suspension). I just sent the ticket back and elected to attend traffic school (or do it online). This will wipe out ALL 4 points and knock 50bux off the only $273 ticket... Lucky for me the cop was nice and laws are easy down here!!!
Evan
Old 12-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I did once and won't mention the speed. He was merging onto the high way and did not have radar on when I flew by him. It was at night and I saw the cop chasing me in the rear view before he hit his lights. I slowed and he was so pumped with adrenaline and ready for a chase he about plowed into me. He was pretty irrate until he asked why I was going so fast and I responded something to effect of "just stupidity."

He wrote the ticket for only 90 in a 55. I got out of the ticket . . .
Old 12-24-2003, 05:05 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I've gotten out of 3 different tickets... NYC cops are generally pretty good. State Troopers on the other hand are not very "easy going".

Old 12-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I was doint 135 for a brief 1/4 mile burst in a 944 Turbo S I had at the time. I had already taken an exit when a state trooper followed me to a smaller road. I promptly pulled over when signalled to do so. He came over and asked if I was in a hurry - I said no officer. He asked me where I was going. I told him I was going to the Sunoco gas station a couple of blocks away from where he stopped me, which is where I was really going. He haid he clocked me at 135. I told him that I didn't realize I was going that fast. I told him I was about to miss my exit, thats why I sped up. I apologized, he gave me a ticket for going 95 and illegal lane change. I told him I signalled before lane change, whats illegal about it? He told me for going over 100 he could arrest me and impound car etc, etc. So I didn't push it. I called a friend of mine who is a lawyer, we went to court got it dropped to a 2 point ticket and then took drivers ed course to get rid of points. It cost me $300 for attorney, and approximately another $350 for ticket plus court fees. Scary moment though. I try not to break the 100 mph barrier even for short bursts.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:52 PM
996 AERO
Instructor

Here in Pa in June of this year we had a gentleman pulled over on one of our interstates clocked at over 200 mph in a Lamborghini. The radar stopped at 200. Car was impounded, driver arrested for dui and reckless driving and other. Just had his trial last month.Took five months for him to go to trial, car stayed impounded until the trial, was fined a large amount of money, lost license and sentenced to three months in jail. I think it made the national news also so some may have seen it.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:04 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Ahem.... some Porsches "around" my cottage are regularly seen "approaching" speeds that would otherwise impinge upon the drivers ability to "commute" to the office in order to make the 7.45am morning meeting...that being said, its amazing what a few thousand dollars in contributions to local police charities over the years can do for you in Northern Ontario! Such a good feeling to give rather then to recieve!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:08 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Talking how fast?

Originally posted by 996 AERO
Here in Pa in June of this year we had a gentleman pulled over on one of our interstates clocked at over 200 mph in a Lamborghini. The radar stopped at 200. Car was impounded, driver arrested for dui and reckless driving and other. Just had his trial last month.Took five months for him to go to trial, car stayed impounded until the trial, was fined a large amount of money, lost license and sentenced to three months in jail. I think it made the national news also so some may have seen it.
i saw a story like this, it was a well-known doctor from new york. i think he was clocked around 180 mph.

ot but in a similar vein...what's the fastest you'll admit to taking your 996? i managed 168 mph, and didn't hold it for long (but the car was still accelerating)

Old 12-24-2003, 10:08 PM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I got caught at 97 MPH a year ago in my 911, I was super nice to the cops, and he wrote me down for 85+. I went to court and fought the ticket, at the trial, the cop was a no-show, so the ticket was dismissed.

On the other hand, the Judge chewed me out for going that fast. He concluded by sayng he also owed a 911, but driving a Porsche is no excuse to exceed the speed limits.

So I got off for free, Guess it was my lucky day.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:49 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Years ago, I was driving my 1980 911SC on I-75 in Florida. Doing about 85 or 90, see a car that looked like an unmarked cop car, but it's pulling a boat. I think, "Nah," and pass him. He gets right on my tail. It's unnerving -- lotsa nuts in Florida -- so I speed up. He's pulling the boat, so I quickly get some distance on him, pass two tractor-trailers, and one pulls into the left lane and blocks him, so I hit it, and get it up to about 115 mph (top speed in an SC (185 hp) is about 130 or so). I'm watching in the rearview, and I see the truck move back over, and then I see the blue lights. Oh, s---. I pull over. He asks why I was going 115 mph, and I say that I didn't realize he was an officer, and I was afraid he was some crazy person who was angry because I passed him. Believe it or not, he tells me if he ever sees me going one mile an hour over the speed limit, he'll take me to jail and lets me off with a warning. To this day, I think he just didn't want to bother with the paperwork or he didn't have a citation book with him. I apologized, thanked him and when I offered my hand he stared at it as if I was holding a turd out to him.

Two weeks later, a half-wit mechanic from my town who had an identical car to mine (1980 silver 911SC Targa) gets pulled over going 128 mph on I-75, this time by a Florida trooper. Trooper says, "Why are you doing 128 mph?" Mechanic says, "Because it doesn't go any faster." Bang ... off to jail, car impounded ... loses his license.

Goes to show ... attitude goes a long way in these situations. I was pulled over in Kansas doing something stupid in my 1987 911 Turbo -- the boost on those old 930s is very addictive -- and what I did was so blatant I started laughing when I rolled the window down, and the cop started laughing, too, tears were rolling down our faces, and he finally says, "Buddy, if I had a car like that, I couldn't resist it, either. Keep that damn thing on the farm roads, wouldya?"

Vic
99 C2 cab
Old 12-25-2003, 02:40 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally posted by vjd3

Trooper says, "Why are you doing 128 mph?" Mechanic says, "Because it doesn't go any faster." Bang ... off to jail, 99 C2 cab
Classic...That made me cough from laughing so hard!!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Default Re: how fast?

Originally posted by fahren affair
ot but in a similar vein...what's the fastest you'll admit to taking your 996? i managed 168 mph, and didn't hold it for long (but the car was still accelerating)

"Cause it won't go any faster..."
Old 12-25-2003, 07:42 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Living in the land of the Lowest Common Denominator, you have to understand that even though our cars are capable, and so, probably, are we as drivers..most others are not able to drive very fast safely!!! As I have said before....Check out the car and driver next to you at the next light. Not only are they driving but they are voting and reproducing!!! Now how'd you like to see them blasting by you at 119 mph???? Many you wouldn't mind, but some......

When you get caught think..... Plea bargin!
Old 12-25-2003, 10:48 AM
pete01_996
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone caught doing over 100 mph?

Originally posted by Palting
... Anyone here actually had it happen, or know for sure about someone that had it happen and the consequences thereof?
FWIW, here's my 100+ story ....

In Mass, I got on I-93 North one day {doing about 90}, saw a Chevy Impala with tinted windows trying to keep up, so I figured, lets have some fun. I nailed it ... got up to 114MPH at which point I was already at my exit, so I hammered the brakes and ripped around the ramp and headed off to work {the Impala was gone} ... well ... hit a light and just after getting the green, guess who shows up ... Yup, the Impala, with lights under the grill going. Turns out, it was an undercover cop {agressive driving patrol}. He gave me a ticket for 100+. He had no idea what my real speed was, he said he hit 100 and I was pulling away. I contested the ticket, was found responsible by clerk, appealed that, and then found responsible by judge. Cop was upset, but never threatened a tow or anything but speeding violation.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by rdstemler
Living in the land of the Lowest Common Denominator, you have to understand that even though our cars are capable, and so, probably, are we as drivers..most others are not able to drive very fast safely!!! As I have said before....Check out the car and driver next to you at the next light. Not only are they driving but they are voting and reproducing!!! Now how'd you like to see them blasting by you at 119 mph???? Many you wouldn't mind, but some......

When you get caught think..... Plea bargin!
I was coming home late one night when I hit a stretch of very winding roads that I know like the back of my hand. I one point I passed a BMW doing the speedlimit (40MPH) I was doing about 90 when I passed him and shortly noticed that he was speeding to keep up to me... well I was hitting these hairpin turns doing 85+ and I looked in my rear view to see him fly off the road and into the trees and grass.... don't know what happen to him or the car but it clearly shows that people think they can do things their cars certainly can not. I know the limits of my driving and the limits of my C4...

Rob
P.S. I've taken mine up to 145+ MPH on a straight stretch of I-81.

Quick Reply: Anyone caught doing over 100 mph?