Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another IMS question (Replace LN Retrofit?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 PM
steve578
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ21
9,999 to go😀
I’m another member who would like you to go away. 9,998.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve578

I’m another member who would like you to go away. 9,998.
So I see now, only people who are too scared to deviate from the ill informed crowd are supposed to comment on here!!!
I know there's a lot of garages on here touting there stuff, but I'm sorry I didn't realise most of you are sheep!
It's a pity that this site is for people with something in common, yet you just think you can bully people into believing what you believe,
with out discussing, or proving anything and a lot of you just copy what other people say because you don't have a mind of your own,
If you think you can bully me into agreeing with you, you are very much mistaken,
Ps. anyone who replies to this will get a reply, as if you didn't know that.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 PM
steve578
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ21
So I see now, only people who are too scared to deviate from the ill informed crowd are supposed to comment on here!!!
I know there's a lot of garages on here touting there stuff, but I'm sorry I didn't realise most of you are sheep!
It's a pity that this site is for people with something in common, yet you just think you can bully people into believing what you believe,
with out discussing, or proving anything and a lot of you just copy what other people say because you don't have a mind of your own,
If you think you can bully me into agreeing with you, you are very much mistaken,
Ps. anyone who replies to this will get a reply, as if you didn't know that.
It has nothing to do with you having a different opinion. I bet there are many that would respect you for that. It’s that fact that your crap in every IMS thread with the same drivel over and over and over. We get it.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:30 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Russ21 you have a PM
Old 08-23-2022, 03:16 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Update a few years later. Never did get around to changing the bearing, car is at 117k, the retrofit bearing just under 40k. My indy told me "don't worry about it, just drive it". Have been doing blackstone analysis every 3k with no issues. Not sure what I'll do, I almost took it in for another retrofit in late 2020 but other things came up. Maybe just continue to drive it til it needs another clutch, which could be years at this rate. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by PacNW3
I’m in the exact same situation, ironically with a C4S, too. I bought it in December. I called LN, & the person I spoke with was suprisingly forthright. I expected the recital of the 4/50 service life recommendation, but he told me that they have had maybe 5 of the “classic” retrofits fail, all in engines that had debris from either a partial IMSB failure or something else (I’m paraphrasing here). He didn’t say “don’t worry about it,” but he sure gave that impression. You may want to give them a call next week to see if you get the same feeling I did.

I’m under the impression that the materials & available lubrication are far superior to a stock bearing that had the seal compromised. Certainly the “pro” retrofit or the solution are better options, but the classic should be better than the stock one that had a 92% (not sure how relevant the 8% failure figure really is) success rate.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision. When I need a new clutch, I’ll certainly replace the IMSB, & I hope that it’s not needed before then!
What did you end up doing?

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
There have been zero failures of the Single Row Pro or Classic Dual Row Retrofit kits. Likewise, the IMS Solution also has a flawless record. That said, there are Classic Single Row bearings that have been in service now 10 years, well past the recommended service interval. As with any mechanical part, the longer it is in service, the greater the likelihood that it will wear out or fail. There is a reason why manufacturers recommend timing belts on those engines where it is not a permanent chain - some at 60k, some at 100k. The idea is you change it before it fails.
Charles - has this changed? Have you received any reports of single row retrofits failing?
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 03:45 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

Charles - has this changed? Have you received any reports of single row retrofits failing?
We do still see single row retrofits fail from time to time, but as referenced to above, we still recommend anyone with a single row retrofit to change the bearing out as they are all well out of the advertised service interval for time, even if not for mileage.

That said we still can't answer why some retrofit bearings look great after been in service for a long time (sent back to us with their warranty registration) and some fail prematurely. Again as cited previously, it may have to do with the oil used, oil level observed, manufacturing tolerances for the shafts (we see shafts with upwards of .015" of runout even without a failure which can't be good for the bearing), contamination in the oil, vibration induced from worn tensioners that is transmitted into the bearing, poor maintenance, moisture in the engine, or improper installation, or some combination. We'll probably never know. With any mechanical system, unfortunately there is no way to make it 100% fail proof. That's why we provide service intervals that are conservative and also offer the IMS Solution as a permanent fix.
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 04:19 PM
fireman
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Ignore lists

How do I put someone on my ignore list? Cough Russ21 cough.
This forum is moderated isn't it?
Old 08-23-2022, 06:58 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman
How do I put someone on my ignore list? Cough Russ21 cough.
This forum is moderated isn't it?
Well last time Russ21 blessed us with his "nowledge" was before August 2019 so he has apparently moved on to torment others.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:19 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 704 Posts

Quick thanks to the folks who resurrected this thread, otherwise I would never have had the entertainment of reading Russ21 posts.
The following 2 users liked this post by wdb:
Dagsvik (08-25-2022), Emefef (08-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Another IMS question (Replace LN Retrofit?)