Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another IMS question (Replace LN Retrofit?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
There have been zero failures of the Single Row Pro or Classic Dual Row Retrofit kits. Likewise, the IMS Solution also has a flawless record. That said, there are Classic Single Row bearings that have been in service now 10 years, well past the recommended service interval. As with any mechanical part, the longer it is in service, the greater the likelihood that it will wear out or fail. There is a reason why manufacturers recommend timing belts on those engines where it is not a permanent chain - some at 60k, some at 100k. The idea is you change it before it fails.
Sorry Charles, copied two of your quotes below.

1 "There have been zero failures of the Single Row Pro or Classic Dual Row Retrofit kits"
2 "Any part supplier that says they don't have failures is straight up lying"

A paradox:-(
Old 02-28-2018, 11:04 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ21

1 "There have been zero failures of the Single Row Pro or Classic Dual Row Retrofit kits"

Not that I want to get in the middle of this debate...but I think you have to look at what Charles has said (I am not an attorney either)...He has stated that they recommend regular maintenance and replacement every 4 years. But what he also said that of the two types he lists there have been no reported failures. He is not stating that they wont fail, just that they know of no failures. Those are two different things. :-)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Russ21
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowpue
Not that I want to get in the middle of this debate...but I think you have to look at what Charles has said (I am not an attorney either)...He has stated that they recommend regular maintenance and replacement every 4 years. But what he also said that of the two types he lists there have been no reported failures. He is not stating that they wont fail, just that they know of no failures. Those are two different things. :-)
His quote below, maybe from a different quote you read.

'There have been zero failures of the Single Row Pro or Classic Dual Row Retrofit kits. Likewise, the IMS Solution also has a flawless record.'
Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

His quote below, maybe from a different quote you read.

'There have been zero failures of the Single Row Pro or Classic Dual Row Retrofit kits. Likewise, the IMS Solution also has a flawless record.'
Russ, we all know your opinion and position on changing your IMS bearing. Yes, I should have stated that there have been zero REPORTED failures of the Single Row Pro, Classic Dual Row, or any of the IMS Solution kits. However the success of any procedure regardless of whose technology you use depends on the condition of the engine to start with. Not every engine should have the IMS bearing changed. I'll reiterate what I've stated a thousand times before - it's important that pre-qualification procedures are followed. Waiting to change your IMS bearing until it starts to fail or has been failed as you imply in your posts is a bad idea.

There are many who wait until they see debris and then sell their car to some poor unsuspecting soul who has a live grenade on their hands.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
You read correctly. The ims bearing is a maintenance item that needs to be serviced, like a timing belt. If you run any bearing, factory or aftermarket long enough, it will fail. Everything mechanical will eventually fail. Not to be a debbie-downer, but just the facts.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Russ, how is this a paradox? You are not adding anything constructive to this conversation by being a horses a**. There have been many threads on this topic prior to your joining Rennlist. The search feature is your friend. I've been honest about failures and there have been members with failures that have posted on Rennlist previously.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Russ, how is this a paradox? You are not adding anything constructive to this conversation by being a horses a**. There have been many threads on this topic prior to your joining Rennlist. The search feature is your friend. I've been honest about failures and there have been members with failures that have posted on Rennlist previously.
You say your product never fails, yet you also say, anyone who says their product never fails is a liar.

A paradox is a statement that contradicts itself and still seems true somehow.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

You say your product never fails, yet you also say, anyone who says their product never fails is a liar.

A paradox is a statement that contradicts itself and still seems true somehow.
Please re-read my past posts. I have taken ownership of product failures in the past. I was answering another members direct question.

It is because of people like you that I took an extended hiatus from the forums.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:57 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 702 Posts

Charles - you provide invaluable technical knowledge and information and I appreciate it. As do so many others on here. If you have to step away from this one...do so, but please stay with us as we really do appreciate everything you provide, and your company provides. Proud owner of many LN Engineering products!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Charles - you provide invaluable technical knowledge and information and I appreciate it. As do so many others on here. If you have to step away from this one...do so, but please stay with us as we really do appreciate everything you provide, and your company provides. Proud owner of many LN Engineering products!
x996
Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Please re-read my past posts. I have taken ownership of product failures in the past. I was answering another members direct question.

It is because of people like you that I took an extended hiatus from the forums.
It's just the way you word thing implying the original IMSB will fail when it's chance of failure below

8% of cars fail at an average of say 85,000 miles remember some never fail in the life of a car even 250k or more ;
so you take 100 cars do 85,000 miles in each so you cover 8,500,000 miles divided by your 8% or 8 failures = 1,062,000 miles traveled
( I am not nor have I implied that 1 bearing would or could do this, what I am pointing out is on average (as I have stated many times) A 996 single row bearing will go every aprox million miles travelled)
This is not taking into account the 1% for the upgraded bearing which has a failure rate of 1 in 8,000,000 miles travelled.

Anyway I'll agree to mention it to you no more, if you agree when I give someone advice on IMSB you don't reply to me.
As you have an agenda, but to me it's a bit of number crunching unbiased advice to someone who asked,
Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

It's just the way you word thing implying the original IMSB will fail when it's chance of failure below

8% of cars fail at an average of say 85,000 miles remember some never fail in the life of a car even 250k or more ;
so you take 100 cars do 85,000 miles in each so you cover 8,500,000 miles divided by your 8% or 8 failures = 1,062,000 miles traveled
( I am not nor have I implied that 1 bearing would or could do this, what I am pointing out is on average (as I have stated many times) A 996 single row bearing will go every aprox million miles travelled)
This is not taking into account the 1% for the upgraded bearing which has a failure rate of 1 in 8,000,000 miles travelled.

Anyway I'll agree to mention it to you no more, if you agree when I give someone advice on IMSB you don't reply to me.
As you have an agenda, but to me it's a bit of number crunching unbiased advice to someone who asked,
Your data is flawed as is your logic.

This isn't a made up problem and your opinion is no consolation for those who have suffered a failure or multiple failures.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Your data is flawed as is your logic.

This isn't a made up problem and your opinion is no consolation for those who have suffered a failure or multiple failures.
I fully understand the plight of the victims of imsb failure, however someone asked a question on whether to change one I gave the best factual unbiased advice with a breakdown of the likelihood of it happening. I appreciate you see more than your fair share of failures as it's the business your in, but the fact you see more failures gives you a bias opinion.
you say my data if flawed, let"s see your data to the contrary.
I doubt you'll reply but I hope you do, if you have data to the contrary when someone asks again I can say here you are I got this from Charles he knows what hes talking about, if it's fact based I'll back yiou all the way.

best wishes Russell
Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 702 Posts

There are lies, damn lies...and statistics. Here's a point of bias for you - Charles, Jake and LN Engineering know more about this problem than anyone, and have developed, marketed and installed solutions with recommended service life based on their knowledge - 4 years or 50K miles. The OP has already had a single row retrofit, so any debate about original bearing life is moot. What is relevant is the 4 year/50K service recommendation for a retrofitted single row bearing. The OP I think checked out of this thread...but if he is still checking in - For your peace of mind, schedule to have the bearing replaced and spring for the Solution...then drive it like you stole it! It will be worth it if you plan on keeping the car.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
There are lies, damn lies...and statistics. Here's a point of bias for you - Charles, Jake and LN Engineering know more about this problem than anyone, and have developed, marketed and installed solutions with recommended service life based on their knowledge - 4 years or 50K miles. The OP has already had a single row retrofit, so any debate about original bearing life is moot. What is relevant is the 4 year/50K service recommendation for a retrofitted single row bearing. The OP I think checked out of this thread...but if he is still checking in - For your peace of mind, schedule to have the bearing replaced and spring for the Solution...then drive it like you stole it! It will be worth it if you plan on keeping the car.
I know it's crazy changing a part that can last say 15-20 years (average age of my porsche's 16 years all without exception had original IMSB) to one that has to be changed every 4 years whether you use the car or not.

Ps I have never doubted the ability of any mechanic on this site

Quick Reply: Another IMS question (Replace LN Retrofit?)