996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New motor mounts and then this......

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:48 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 702 Posts
Default New motor mounts and then this......

Finally getting around to installing new motor mounts. Mine are completely shot. So did right side first and went without a hitch. Started on left side. Removing the SAI pump and blam....coolant all over. I said what? Then found this coolant hose with the plastic nipple busted off. Oh well, another $70 hose and another day of waiting. Just thought I would enrich the Rennlist hive of knowledge...be careful pulling that hose off the SAI pump because that little plastic nipple is right under it.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Exhaust tips before and after. BTW - I went with OE Porsche motor mounts. I knew mine were destined for replacement and long overdue. But I figured if the OE ones went 141K miles, the new ones will be great for a long while. Got them from AutoAtlanta for $187 a pop.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:43 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,348 Likes on 662 Posts

I did my mounts yesterday but I didn't disconnect any hoses. I unbolted the air pump and then used a mini bungee cord to hold it out of the way.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:06 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too replaced my motor mounts recently, but didn't drive the car until last night.
After a few miles the check engine light came on, but temp, oil pressure, voltage, ..etc
seemed normal so i continued to drive until I was home.

Torque App said I have MAF problem plus six other fuel injector faults. I checked the MAF wiring
and didn't notice any problems. I cleared the faults and will see if they return. My battery voltage
was low and cranking was slow since the car was driven only about 40 miles since last November.
I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:27 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Make sure that MAF connector is plugged in tight...might even disconnect and re-connect it. Might also consider putting some Techron in the fuel tank since it has not been driven much. Which mounts did you go with?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:41 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Left engine mount

Right engine mount
P/N 993 375 049 08 both the same
Old 02-12-2018, 02:46 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Make sure that MAF connector is plugged in tight...might even disconnect and re-connect it. Might also consider putting some Techron in the fuel tank since it has not been driven much. Which mounts did you go with?
I used Rein AVE0382P from rockauto. $133 for the pair including shipping.

I run on Chevron gas, so there is techron in it, but this tank of gas is from mid November last year.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Bummer! On the plastic hose fitting... The area around the motor is so tight that it makes even seemingly simple jobs a challenge. One of the biggest challenges on these older cars with lots of old heat cycled plastic bits is not over flexing and breaking old plastic fittings... I've been pretty lucky so far, but it has cost me huge amounts of time being extra careful and analytical when it comes to doing what should otherwise be quick/easy jobs. Those tailpipes look SOOOOOO much better!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
Bummer! On the plastic hose fitting... The area around the motor is so tight that it makes even seemingly simple jobs a challenge. One of the biggest challenges on these older cars with lots of old heat cycled plastic bits is not over flexing and breaking old plastic fittings... I've been pretty lucky so far, but it has cost me huge amounts of time being extra careful and analytical when it comes to doing what should otherwise be quick/easy jobs. Those tailpipes look SOOOOOO much better!!!
Thanks! Yes sir indeed, pulled it up probably a little over 1.5 inches and tucked those in nicely. And I agree with you about the challenges. These cars are getting old. I thought I had looked over things pretty carefully on getting the SAI pump out. Anyway, just back from the grocery store with my shiny new coolant catch pan (foil oven roaster pan). Going to drain the coolant and reuse it, because I just did a coolant flush awhile back. Still awaiting my fancy new coolant hose, and installing it is going to be a bear. Wonder what else I will break getting that in? Sigh....it is the complicated hose that attaches to the bottom of the coolant tank, then has the plastic nipple fitting, then goes down to the block where it branches into two hoses. All kinds of potential to break more stuff...LOL
Old 02-13-2018, 01:58 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks! Yes sir indeed, pulled it up probably a little over 1.5 inches and tucked those in nicely. And I agree with you about the challenges. These cars are getting old. I thought I had looked over things pretty carefully on getting the SAI pump out. Anyway, just back from the grocery store with my shiny new coolant catch pan (foil oven roaster pan). Going to drain the coolant and reuse it, because I just did a coolant flush awhile back. Still awaiting my fancy new coolant hose, and installing it is going to be a bear. Wonder what else I will break getting that in? Sigh....it is the complicated hose that attaches to the bottom of the coolant tank, then has the plastic nipple fitting, then goes down to the block where it branches into two hoses. All kinds of potential to break more stuff...LOL
Do you feel a difference
Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

When I get my coolant hose replaced so I can run the engine and drive, I'll report back. I'm sure I'll be able to tell a difference since my old motor mounts were completely shot, and probably allowed a great deal of engine movement. Right now awaiting my $70 coolant hose.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I know that hose well... While I had my engine out last year, I replaced it fearing exactly what happened to you. I kept the original one, as it wasn't leaking, but I doubt I'll ever need it unless I go and break the one I've got now... Just as an aside - I recently noticed that I was leaking coolant under pressure (only after driving the car for a while). It turned out that several of my coolant hoses were loose (the clamps had loosened since I put everything back together - there are no Torque #'s for the hose clamps as afaik) most of them were the ones in the area where your hose broke. The one more insidious one that I found was the large (return?) hose on the other (passenger) side of the motor - the stock clamp that I had put back on had cut into the hose and was therefore loose. Luckily I had some left over clamps with the stainless steel inner ring/sleeves - these distribute the load so much more evenly over the hose. Fortunately I was able to stop all leaks...

Quick Reply: New motor mounts and then this......