Sponsored by:

IMS Guardian Wires Keep Breaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:52 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default IMS Guardian Wires Keep Breaking

Has anyone else had a problem with the wires at the plug unit keep breaking? Mine seem to last about 2 years max. I've even put silicone around mine as a type of strain relief. Still doesn't seem to work well. I've contacted Flat 6, they tell me it's because of the way my wires are routed, the wind catches them. I asked how to better route, and got no response.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:41 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I am in the same boat. I am on sensor number 3 AND this time I put some thick liquid electrical tape build up around the cable connection to the sensor.

I also tried to protect it with aluminum dryer vent tape and worked nicely. I put some aluminum tape and they lasted around 1-2 month before they got torn up.
Worked great but have to change the tape once in a while.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM
kbollaert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I weren't such a big believer in chip detector/mag plug tech, I'd have dumped it a long time ago. The first (old style) plug, wires broke 2x, finally had to replace it with the new style after hitting something which cracked the sump plate. (I know, don't drive over things that stick up). New style, I've already had to repair the wires. I route my wiring between the skid plate and the bottom of the motor, which seems to help.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

All,
The most common issues with wires fraying comes from the wires being unsecured, or secured in a manner that promotes uncontrolled flopping in the wind under the car. A secondary factor comes from road hazards, and debris making contact with wires.

Though there have been some complaints of this over the years, they have been few and far between, considering that thousands of units were sold, and the majority of those have been in service since 2011. We’ve been supportive of the product, offering replacement MCD sensors, or repair of sensors at our cost only.

The best way to fight the fraying wires is to wrap the wire 1/2 way around the sensor, and then secure it to the sensor with a wire tie. This will keep the ware held very tightly at the sensor, and will address the fraying.

We updated the sensors a few times, mainly so they would resist over- torquing from people treating them like a stock drain plug.

Mr. Raby personally replies to any IMS Guardian related technical questions that we receive, and will continue to.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
All,
The most common issues with wires fraying comes from the wires being unsecured, or secured in a manner that promotes uncontrolled flopping in the wind under the car. A secondary factor comes from road hazards, and debris making contact with wires.

Though there have been some complaints of this over the years, they have been few and far between, considering that thousands of units were sold, and the majority of those have been in service since 2011. We’ve been supportive of the product, offering replacement MCD sensors, or repair of sensors at our cost only.

The best way to fight the fraying wires is to wrap the wire 1/2 way around the sensor, and then secure it to the sensor with a wire tie. This will keep the ware held very tightly at the sensor, and will address the fraying.

We updated the sensors a few times, mainly so they would resist over- torquing from people treating them like a stock drain plug.

Mr. Raby personally replies to any IMS Guardian related technical questions that we receive, and will continue to.
Support from flatsix is definitely top notch. They offered me a replacement sensor at cost.
main issue is securing the wire. With engine skid plate, I have no place to tie the wire to.
I tried high temp gorilla tape and it came off after a couple heating cycle.
Dryer tape works but not durable. Will try to find thicker aluminum tape.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:40 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Heat shrink sleeve and a blob of JB weld might work.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:09 PM
DK570
Racer

Could you post a picture, to be clear? This step definitely was not in my install instructions.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
Could you post a picture, to be clear? This step definitely was not in my install instructions.
Seems pretty clear to me...
Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM
DK570
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Seems pretty clear to me...
I would think wrapping the wire would put a small radius bend in the wire, making it more likely to break.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I would think wrapping the wire would put a small radius bend in the wire, making it more likely to break.
No, wire strength is not the issue. The issue is the turbulence under the car that makes the wires fatigue when they are not secured. The most critical part of this is where the wires enter the body, as this is where the fatigue will be concentrated.

Wrapping the wire around the body of the sensor removes this from the equation, and spreads the area where the fatigue would occur over a wider area of the wire.. This omits the point loading from the equation, and solves the problem..

People that have had more than one issue with this are clearly doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result that does not happen. Wrap the wire around the body of the sensor one revolution, and secure it tightly. You will not have a problem again.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:52 PM
DK570
Racer

No, wire strength is not the issue. The issue is the turbulence under the car that makes the wires fatigue when they are not secured. The most critical part of this is where the wires enter the body, as this is where the fatigue will be concentrated.

Wrapping the wire around the body of the sensor removes this from the equation, and spreads the area where the fatigue would occur over a wider area of the wire.. This omits the point loading from the equation, and solves the problem..

People that have had more than one issue with this are clearly doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result that does not happen. Wrap the wire around the body of the sensor one revolution, and secure it tightly. You will not have a problem again.
What's the best way to contact you to get a replacement sensor?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

What's the best way to contact you to get a replacement sensor?
Email info@flat6innovations.com

Quick Reply: IMS Guardian Wires Keep Breaking