Sponsored by:

I spent my birthday tearing down my 3.4 and found what failed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
Yeah....that is a great point. I did put in a center radiator a few couple of years ago to get my coolant temps lower because they tended to be on the high side. In fact, I am so concerned about temps that even with the new 997S engine (expecting between 400-420HP) I am putting in 996 Turbo radiators which are much larger +center radiator cause I want to make sure the engine stays cool.

One thing I forgot to mention is the engine only had 54K miles on it but the car was tracked through its whole life....thus the starvation.
What about a lower temp thermostat? After reading 74 pages of the Hartech white paper on M96 engine failures, I think all engines save from those only driven in cold temps could benefit from it.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

What about a lower temp thermostat? After reading 74 pages of the Hartech white paper on M96 engine failures, I think all engines save from those only driven in cold temps could benefit from it.
A low temp thermostat will certainly help along with larger radiators (and the upgraded center), but oil temperatures will still be over 240F easy on the track. Adding the 2 quart deep sump with baffling will help with oil control (the added volume doesn't hurt either), but if you use crappy oil, you can still suffer from engine failure. Aeration of the oil as well as loss of viscosity are still a possibility with a 2 quart deep sump and added engine cooling, so the key is to use a race oil on the track. We run Driven XP9 in all engines that will see track use - it's a must. Street oils aren't made for the track.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
A low temp thermostat will certainly help along with larger radiators (and the upgraded center), but oil temperatures will still be over 240F easy on the track. Adding the 2 quart deep sump with baffling will help with oil control (the added volume doesn't hurt either), but if you use crappy oil, you can still suffer from engine failure. Aeration of the oil as well as loss of viscosity are still a possibility with a 2 quart deep sump and added engine cooling, so the key is to use a race oil on the track. We run Driven XP9 in all engines that will see track use - it's a must. Street oils aren't made for the track.
That’s a good point. The larger oil volume can keep temps down only for shorter runs, but at some point, the heat has to be removed.

And regarding street oil vs race oil, are there any aeration tests that compare street vs track oil? There seem to be quite a few tests for strength and temperature, but I don’t see much on aeration.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...mp-system.html
Old 02-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

That’s a good point. The larger oil volume can keep temps down only for shorter runs, but at some point, the heat has to be removed.

And regarding street oil vs race oil, are there any aeration tests that compare street vs track oil? There seem to be quite a few tests for strength and temperature, but I don’t see much on aeration.
Tests for foaming and aeration aren't something you see, nor is viscosity at higher oil temperatures approaching 300F.

I'm a big fan of DT40, but it's no good for the track. But then again, all street oils are just for that - street use. You need a true race oil for the track, even if it's only a DE event. To be perfectly honest, most race cars are better maintained than mixed use street/track driven cars.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Tests for foaming and aeration aren't something you see, nor is viscosity at higher oil temperatures approaching 300F.

I'm a big fan of DT40, but it's no good for the track. But then again, all street oils are just for that - street use. You need a true race oil for the track, even if it's only a DE event. To be perfectly honest, most race cars are better maintained than mixed use street/track driven cars.
One interesting thing about the broader discussion is that a true dry sump seems to work ok even with mobil1, which is flagged by many (even the guy that uses M1 in dry sump) as being inadequate for track when used in conjunction with the stock M96 wet sump.

from the thread I linked above:

The idiot light comes on at a very low pressure. I am not sure of the exact number but it is under .5 bar. Since the oil pump creates this much or more pressure pumping pure air (at least at rpm > 4000) the idiot light is never going to alert anybody to oil pressure fluctuations.

My long experience with various engines leads me to conclude that most of the time, the brand of oil matters very little, and the weight of that oil matters even less. Engines that receive an uninterrupted supply of oil, even at a very low pressure, seem to last forever. Engines that do not, fail regardless of oil brand, weight, or temperature.

That said, everything in racing takes place in that last 1% of performance, so very small things can matter. I use Mobil 1 (the weight depends on expected oil temp) in my dry sump engines, but I don't recommend it for wet sump M96 engines that are used on track.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Maybe someday we will. It used to be that video of inside an engine to view the actual flame burning was not possible.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
One interesting thing about the broader discussion is that a true dry sump seems to work ok even with mobil1, which is flagged by many (even the guy that uses M1 in dry sump) as being inadequate for track when used in conjunction with the stock M96 wet sump.

from the thread I linked above:
The main difference is the models with Mezger engine and its true dry sump, both aircooled and watercooled, are inherently stronger and more reliable than the M96 engine. Even with race oil, if you don't do the required oil system updates on an M96 engine, it will blow up. Likewise, using race oil won't prevent IMS or scoring issues. Some things are just design flaws and can't be overcome simply by using a certain fuel or oil.

That said, there are better choices the M1 for Mezger engines, but that's a different topic.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

There’s no question in my mind that a stock 996 suffers from oil starvation at the track.

So does the X51 baffle and deep sumo effect the oil pressure drop in sweeping rights? If so, by how much?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
So does the X51 baffle and deep sumo effect the oil pressure drop in sweeping rights? If so, by how much?
I cannot give you a number as there are many things that will affect this. What I can tell you the race cars originally fitted with the 2 quart deep sump and campaigned professionally using racing oil suffered zero oil pressure drops after the addition of the 2 quart deep sump including 997 oil returns and the anti-slosh tray that is included in our kit.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I cannot give you a number as there are many things that will affect this. What I can tell you the race cars originally fitted with the 2 quart deep sump and campaigned professionally using racing oil suffered zero oil pressure drops after the addition of the 2 quart deep sump including 997 oil returns and the anti-slosh tray that is included in our kit.
Can you comment on the addition of an accusump as a preventative measure for starvation? I know many of the Boxster spec cars run them. I believe you offer them on your website iirc.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moburki
Can you comment on the addition of an accusump as a preventative measure for starvation? I know many of the Boxster spec cars run them. I believe you offer them on your website iirc.
Yes, we do offer the Accusump as an option, but most choose the route of the 2 qt deep sump as it's fool proof and doesn't require driver input for proper operation.

I have seen multiple times where the customer forgets to turn the system on or improperly fills the oil and causes an engine failure. The EPC valve must be tested regularly to ensure it is operating as well as there have been problems in the past where the solenoid does not excite properly and the system is non-functional.

That said, I ran one for years in my Boxster before I came up with the 2 quart deep sump.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the info! Sorry lowpue, don't mean to hijack thread. I would love to tear down a motor to learn more about M96.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:23 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by moburki
Thanks for the info! Sorry lowpue, don't mean to hijack thread. I would love to tear down a motor to learn more about M96.
No worries....I am learning a lot from my own thread even though it has taken a tangent... btw, Charles Dundon has a GT3 motor he wants to tear down for parts and he asked my buddy and I if we want to tear that down too. Charles gets free labor and I get a free lesson....win..win.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Yes, we do offer the Accusump as an option, but most choose the route of the 2 qt deep sump as it's fool proof and doesn't require driver input for proper operation.

I have seen multiple times where the customer forgets to turn the system on or improperly fills the oil and causes an engine failure. The EPC valve must be tested regularly to ensure it is operating as well as there have been problems in the past where the solenoid does not excite properly and the system is non-functional.

That said, I ran one for years in my Boxster before I came up with the 2 quart deep sump.
Isn't it also possible that air still gets delivered to the bearings even if Accusump is used? I thought that how Accusump worked is that it’s pressurized via the oil system and then it can release oil pressure when/if oil pressure drops. But if an oil pump sucks air, that air has to be delivered to the system.

Quick Reply: I spent my birthday tearing down my 3.4 and found what failed