Sponsored by:

996 $60 Hands/Free Bluetooth Phone & Music Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM
dukestreet
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 996 $60 Hands/Free Bluetooth Phone & Music Solution

After purchasing my 2001 996 C4, I needed a solution to utilize hands free for phone calls and wanted to stream bluetooth music/XM Radio/Pandora etc. from my IPhone. Was ready to swap out my audio head unit but found this solution for right around $60.00. I have been using it for about a month now and can't believe how good it works. Thought I would share it with others out there who may want the same as I did without breaking the bank or modifying existing dash ie. USB cords hanging or crappy fitting aftermarket radio heads etc.

Found cool unit on Amazon that has bluetooth ability through the FM channel on stock head unit. Simply tune to a FM station not in use...one with all static noise. Plug the unit into cigarette ligher socket, sync the station on the unit with one that shows on radio head unit and you are done. I stored the sync station on the last preset on radio head unit so I can listen to normal radio and quickly switch when I get a phone call and answer/talk hands free. It quickly finds and syncs up with your IPhone bluetooth. Phone calls come in though your car speakers and unit has a noise reduction Mic that picks up your voice loud and clear to the person on other end of phone. Unreal. I have streamed my music, XM radio (you have to be a subscriber and it uses you data) as well as Pandora with no issues. All play loud and clear though the car speakers. Bonus - it has two USB chargers as well to charge your phone while in use.
Only mod needed was to change out the Cigarette lighter to US Spec one which is smaller in diameter and needed to secure and support the bluetooth unit firmly in dash. If you have a 2001 or older you will need to do this. Plenty of instructions on these forums and install took me about 20 min.

Sumind Bluetooth Unit: Amazon search: (Upgraded Version) Bluetooth FM Transmitter, Sumind Wireless Radio Adapter Hands-free Car Kit with 1.7 Inch Display, QC3.0 and Smart 2.4A Dual USB Ports, AUX Input/ Output, TF Card Mp3 Player $26.99
Porsche OEM US Spec Lighter Upgrade: Suncoast Porsche: Cigarette Lighter Socket Upgrade - 1997-01 Part Number - PK9X6LIGHTER $29.95

Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

But now you have nowhere to plug in your radar detector.... and something that sticks out and is in the way.

I removed and sold the original stereo, sold it on Ebay and then purchased a new Kenwood system with integrated Bluetooth with the proceeds. Net cost was zero, plus I can still use my radar detector.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:09 PM
dukestreet
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

USB cord for the detector. I am not sure who bought a 2001 stock Porsche radio for cost of new blue tooth headset but OK if you say so.

Last edited by dukestreet; 02-05-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dukestreet
After purchasing my 2001 996 C4, I needed a solution to utilize hands free for phone calls and wanted to stream bluetooth music/XM Radio/Pandora etc. from my IPhone. Was ready to swap out my audio head unit but found this solution for right around $60.00. I have been using it for about a month now and can't believe how good it works. Thought I would share it with others out there who may want the same as I did without breaking the bank or modifying existing dash ie. USB cords hanging or crappy fitting aftermarket radio heads etc.

Found cool unit on Amazon that has bluetooth ability through the FM channel on stock head unit. Simply tune to a FM station not in use...one with all static noise. Plug the unit into cigarette ligher socket, sync the station on the unit with one that shows on radio head unit and you are done. I stored the sync station on the last preset on radio head unit so I can listen to normal radio and quickly switch when I get a phone call and answer/talk hands free. It quickly finds and syncs up with your IPhone bluetooth. Phone calls come in though your car speakers and unit has a noise reduction Mic that picks up your voice loud and clear to the person on other end of phone. Unreal. I have streamed my music, XM radio (you have to be a subscriber and it uses you data) as well as Pandora with no issues. All play loud and clear though the car speakers. Bonus - it has two USB chargers as well to charge your phone while in use.
Only mod needed was to change out the Cigarette lighter to US Spec one which is smaller in diameter and needed to secure and support the bluetooth unit firmly in dash. If you have a 2001 or older you will need to do this. Plenty of instructions on these forums and install took me about 20 min.

Sumind Bluetooth Unit: Amazon search: (Upgraded Version) Bluetooth FM Transmitter, Sumind Wireless Radio Adapter Hands-free Car Kit with 1.7 Inch Display, QC3.0 and Smart 2.4A Dual USB Ports, AUX Input/ Output, TF Card Mp3 Player $26.99
Porsche OEM US Spec Lighter Upgrade: Suncoast Porsche: Cigarette Lighter Socket Upgrade - 1997-01 Part Number - PK9X6LIGHTER $29.95

Ordering . Nice find.
Originally Posted by dukestreet
USB cord for the detector. I am not sure who bought a 2001 stock Porsche radio for cost of new blue tooth headset but OK if you say so.
+1
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I tried an FM bluetooth adapter and it was a disaster. If you live in a metropolitan area with many FM stations, you'll find yourself re-tuning the thing every few miles. I bought the i-Simple bluetooth module specifically configured for CDR-220 and it works brilliantly. It plugs into the back of the radio and there is nothing sticking out of the dash, just one very small button and a microphone that I installed over the sun visor. I had an alternator whine but solved that with an $8 ground loop isolator.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT

Ordering . Nice find.

+1
Just stating the facts. Don't really care who it was, but it worked out well for me.

Quick Reply: 996 $60 Hands/Free Bluetooth Phone & Music Solution