Sponsored by:

COPART CAR BEWARE vin #WP0AA29902S621082

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Avid996buyer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COPART CAR BEWARE vin #WP0AA29902S621082

Hi everyone, new to this forum, and have joined because I just picked up a 2004 porsche 911 a few months back. It has been in storage since I have bought it and I have not been able to drive it because of the snow. I spend a lot of my free time surfing the internet looking for new deals to come across. About a week ago i was doing some browsing on the well known Copart.com and a car caught my eye. It was a silver 02 911 from one of their Pittsburgh branches which happens to be close to my Oakmont PA house. This car has higher miles, and I remember seeing the same silver one down my street and wondered if it was my neighbors. I saw him outside the other day and asked about it. Come to find out it was his car, which he had for a while. The story he told me was that he was coming home one night and was cut off by a car, which made him end up in a ditch. He proceeded to tell me that it was the best outcome for the car, because it had overheating issues. He then proceeded to tell me that the week that had happened he pulled the car into his garage, dropped the engine and trans and switched out the good trans for a junk trans!! I congratulated on this frugal move and went on my way. I wondered why he would go through all this work, but after looking up the prices of those drivetrains I couldn't blame him!!!! anyways i figure i would warn anyone on this site, before they bid on it so they have a good understanding of what they will get themselves into. Looking forward to sharing more stories with you guys and cant wait until the weather breaks so i can take the new whip out! go eagles!

Ken
2004 911
Oakmont PA
link to the car- https://www.copart.com/lot/23001208 vin #

WP0AA29902S621082

Old 02-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Avid996buyer
AutoX

cheers
Old 02-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Good looking out, thank you Ken.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:06 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

You should post this in the For Sale section if you're able.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Anybody who thinks they are getting a cream puff or that the car hasn't been stripped down or parts removed before going on carpart is mistaken. I can't believe you really need to make warnings like this, they were totaled cars and people take the good parts off of them before they send them on their way.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Anybody who thinks they are getting a cream puff or that the car hasn't been stripped down or parts removed before going on carpart is mistaken. I can't believe you really need to make warnings like this, they were totaled cars and people take the good parts off of them before they send them on their way.
Sometimes true, sometimes not. I bought one last year from copart. Had 117K on the clock, ended up having a new motor put in by Porsche, that could not have had more than 40K on it (has the upgraded 997 IMS bearing). Also had teqequipment rollbar, GT3 Euro Seats, Fabspeed Intake, and H&R Street Race Coil Overs. I do know that my experience is not typical, but it is possible to get a car that has very little damage, that still has all of its parts.

It takes so little to total these cars, since their value is small, but their parts are expensive, that lots do hit Copart with very little damage. That being said, I don't think I would every buy one from copart with the intention of driving it. I bought mine for the motor and sold everything else.

But OP, thanks for the post, I had thought about throwing a bid or two at this car since it is somewhat local.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Avid996buyer
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Sometimes true, sometimes not. I bought one last year from copart. Had 117K on the clock, ended up having a new motor put in by Porsche, that could not have had more than 40K on it (has the upgraded 997 IMS bearing). Also had teqequipment rollbar, GT3 Euro Seats, Fabspeed Intake, and H&R Street Race Coil Overs. I do know that my experience is not typical, but it is possible to get a car that has very little damage, that still has all of its parts.

It takes so little to total these cars, since their value is small, but their parts are expensive, that lots do hit Copart with very little damage. That being said, I don't think I would every buy one from copart with the intention of driving it. I bought mine for the motor and sold everything else.

But OP, thanks for the post, I had thought about throwing a bid or two at this car since it is somewhat local.
Sounds like you scored! Definitely can score using these sites just wanted to put out a friendly warning! How did you like the gt3 euro seats? they look real nice
Old 02-01-2018, 10:23 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have that on my watch list, close enough to me (WV) that I thought might be a worthwhile little project.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Avid996buyer
AutoX

Talking

Originally Posted by dblvanos
Have that on my watch list, close enough to me (WV) that I thought might be a worthwhile little project.
There is one on IAAI in baltimore with 75k that has minor front and rear damage, black on black. Seems to be a nice rebuilder or good for parts. Wish i could pick one up myself and do a LS1 swap or something, but too deep with cars already . Any threads on them swaps on here?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

There is a Youtuber who has a mainly entertainment based car channel that did this swap in one of his gimmick cars that blew, if you're interested. He's a polarizing fellow on this forum but his videos go over some of the unexpected things he came across both financially and mechanically. (He has a mechanic that is featured on his channel, he doesn't do the work himself.) Here are some links to the series to get you started:

Old 02-01-2018, 11:11 PM
Avid996buyer
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
There is a Youtuber who has a mainly entertainment based car channel that did this swap in one of his gimmick cars that blew, if you're interested. He's a polarizing fellow on this forum but his videos go over some of the unexpected things he came across both financially and mechanically. (He has a mechanic that is featured on his channel, he doesn't do the work himself.) Here are some links to the series to get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imrt...MXjiyE&index=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZArPjtThZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idyRLDxL-FI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfUln_t4MY&t=1s
Thats awesome!, definitely want to look into it for a later project maybe for the next Porsche
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Avid996buyer
Sounds like you scored! Definitely can score using these sites just wanted to put out a friendly warning! How did you like the gt3 euro seats? they look real nice
GT3 Euro Seats and Roll bar were quickly sold. I did not allow myself to sit in them, since I knew I would keep them if I did. The goal of buying the parts car was to get a new motor into my car, and either break even on everything, or make money. Amazingly, it is possible to blow a motor, and make money doing it. You just have to do a lot of work in between.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

op, insurance fraud????????

sure smells like it.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Avid996buyer
AutoX

Originally Posted by Gretch
op, insurance fraud????????

sure smells like it.
Could be, dont know the info of what he actually told the insurance company what happened, or about the trans. Definitely a game im not risking to play

Quick Reply: COPART CAR BEWARE vin #WP0AA29902S621082