996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

When all the glitters is not gold....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 02:38 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Now the real question, why did the PO change the bearing and why is the new bearing failing at less than it's intended lifespan?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:16 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Good thing you had the non-bypass filtering system on it, probably no debris got to the crank/bearings.
Yes, looking like that was a very good investment!! Clearly works based on all the checks around the engine showing no debris. Big thanks Jake and LN!!

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Go buy a lottery ticket 'cause you've dodged a big bullet! Still need to rebuild but at least you can reuse most of the internal components.
With the lack of debris anywhere I could find, how crazy would it be to replace the bearing and do a few flush oil changes and monitor for debris? Pushing luck?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Now the real question, why did the PO change the bearing and why is the new bearing failing at less than it's intended lifespan?
I was told the prior owner changed the bearing as a preventative measure. I have no evidence that this is or isn't accurate, as he had the car a couple of years, but only put very low mileage on it. Bearing was changed prior to sale, along with clutch and a couple of other small items identified in another potential buyer's PPI. Could have been the installation process, prior debris, material failure/defect, the tech might have dropped it on floor while putting it in damaging it, or it could have been fairies for all I know. I don't believe in blaming anything or anyone without evidence to support it. No conspiracy theories please, and no product bashing. I will see if LN wants the bearing back for assessment, but I don't blame them.

Last edited by JTT; 02-18-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:56 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Double post, sorry

Last edited by JTT; 02-18-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

I was thinking more in the lines of shaft and bore trueness from the factory. But all those other things you mention could play a part in it all I guess...
Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,360 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Well with this information we can assume a couple of different things.

One is that the PO changed the IMSB AFTER finding debris in his motor. And we would have to conclude that the engine ran 22k without wearing any other parts (except the LN ceramic bearing) as oil analysis is still clean and engine shows no other symptoms, no debris in sump, oil pumps look good, only debris caught in filter from ANOTHER IMSB failure.

Option 2 would be that the PO DID change the IMSB preventatively, and that the bearing just failed for whatever reason.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
I was told the prior owner changed the bearing as a preventative measure. I have no evidence that this is or isn't accurate, as he had the car a couple of years, but only put very low mileage on it. Bearing was changed prior to sale, along with clutch and a couple of other small items identified in another potential buyer's PPI. Could have been the installation process, prior debris, material failure/defect, the tech might have dropped it on floor while putting it in damaging it, or it could have been fairies for all I know. I don't believe in blaming anything or anyone without evidence to support it. No conspiracy theories please, and no product bashing. I will see if LN wants the bearing back for assessment, but I don't blame them.
If he installed it badly and put some kind of shock or load on the inner shaft during installation this will cause impressions of the ***** in the races, setting them up to be doomed sooner rather than later.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

What did you decide to do with this? put in a new bearing, do a few oil change flushes, and roll the dice?

Or do a rebuild?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

I am going to replace the bearing and flush a few times. As there is no evidence of debris anywhere I could find and I use the no bypass LN spin on filter adaptor, I’m going to hope that it indeed caught everything. Bearing did not catestrophically fail either, it was caught at a very early stage it seems.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT
I am going to replace the bearing and flush a few times. As there is no evidence of debris anywhere I could find and I use the no bypass LN spin on filter adaptor, I’m going to hope that it indeed caught everything. Bearing did not catestrophically fail either, it was caught at a very early stage it seems.
I think that is a wise choice.I have the same scenario and have chosen the same remedy. I have 3 Porsche's , a 99 Coupe a 99 Cab and an 02 986 with a "S" engine.

The 99 Cab I just discovered yesterday had a little ferrous metal in the filter. I DO have a non-bypass filter on it !! I have only had the 99 Cab for about a year and have done 4 oil changes on it before every track day. Last track day was in November and no debris in the oil filter. It has not even been driven since. I was getting it ready for another track day when I saw the debris, very light and ferrous. Removed the transmission and flywheel and IMS bearing and it still has the original Dual Row with the seal still in tact, but there is looseness and roughness on the OUTER ROW , the inner row still seems smooth. The engine only has 70k on it and has had a hard life, even before I got it and I haven't let up on it.but to those who think the dual rows don't fail, never let your guard down !! I caught this very early, just as you did, and have a non-bypass filter, so I'm pretty sure the engine will be fine.

The clutch disc was worn down about to the wear limit and I already had a Kevlar clutch disc and pressure plate waiting to go in, (flywheel is in great shape) so this will all work out nicely. Plus my second gear was a little hard to engage when cold, and I already had a 2nd gear synco to install ( only minimal disassembly since 2nd is near the rear of the gearbox). So I'm killing quite a few birds with this stone.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:55 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I’m hoping for the best. My clutch is in great shape, so no need to do anything there. Considered doing the AOS while tranny is dropped but it is working well at this point and Ive been hearing of new installs failing, so think I will stay with the known entity ans risk having tomdrop the transmission again if necessary. Really not a terrible job in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

It's been a while, so I thought I would update this thread. I changed the IMS bearing with a new IMS Pro. Replaced RMS as well. Bolted it all back. First oil change after 15 mins of run time on stands. Filter and oil clean. I've got about 350kms on the car now and have replaced and inspected filters three times now, all with clean results (well, two bits of sealant from sump plate). Looking good so far.

In reflection, besides gratefulness for the LN zero bypass filter adaptor, I was wondering if maybe a failure of a ceramic bearing like mine, might give a bit more breathing room. With the ***** being so hard, the race clearly is what started to fail. I can't help but think, a steel ball bearing might have strewn more debris, as it would have been shedding not only from the race, but also the bearing? I wonder if if played a role in detecting failure before total devastation?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:57 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
It's been a while, so I thought I would update this thread. I changed the IMS bearing with a new IMS Pro. Replaced RMS as well. Bolted it all back. First oil change after 15 mins of run time on stands. Filter and oil clean. I've got about 350kms on the car now and have replaced and inspected filters three times now, all with clean results (well, two bits of sealant from sump plate). Looking good so far.

In reflection, besides gratefulness for the LN zero bypass filter adaptor, I was wondering if maybe a failure of a ceramic bearing like mine, might give a bit more breathing room. With the ***** being so hard, the race clearly is what started to fail. I can't help but think, a steel ball bearing might have strewn more debris, as it would have been shedding not only from the race, but also the bearing? I wonder if if played a role in detecting failure before total devastation?
Its a fair point you make, on a regular bearing the two surfaces destroy each other, making it faster and more severe. With the ceramic ***** being so hard the race takes the beating but the ***** keep their shape much more than a steel ball would; hence the failure is slower and gives you more time. It probably saved your engine.

Have you installed bearings before? installing them correctly is really very important.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:51 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ It's so important, I'd go so far to say that I suspect a lot of premature failures for aftermarket bearings are likely due to improper installation. Just my .02 from watching "technicians" work on bearings my past 25 years in the industry.

I'm also not convinced in the slightest about the benefits of ceramic bearings for this application.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:09 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Yes, in fact I used the LN Faultless tool, which pretty much makes it foolproof. I left the mallet on the bench I do agree, that improper installation is a very likely issue in many failures, particularly with aftermarket installations not done at factory.

Quick Reply: When all the glitters is not gold....