Sponsored by:

Cracked Head - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
That's good to learn and thanks for the info. BTW, do you think a cracked cylinder is unlikely given engine is still running with no smoke and intermix?
There was some smoke, but no intermix
Old 01-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Have the mechanic pull the engine - it has to come out anyway. And then inspect. If he just has to swap the head it will be cheaper than the used motor. If the cylinder is shot then put the used motor in. Maybe save yourself a couple grand.

Thanks...If i'm understanding you correctly, a crack in the head means I can just swap heads or repair the head and be good to go, while a crack in the actual cylinder means that it's in the block, and a new head would not fix that? I'm not sure I understand the difference between a crack that requires a new head, and a crack that means the engine is toast.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
Thanks...If i'm understanding you correctly, a crack in the head means I can just swap heads or repair the head and be good to go, while a crack in the actual cylinder means that it's in the block, and a new head would not fix that? I'm not sure I understand the difference between a crack that requires a new head, and a crack that means the engine is toast.
Exactly. The heads (red) are bolted onto the engine block/cylinders (blue). The heads can be removed with the engine in the car (very difficult) or with the engine out (much easier to remove and reinstall).

Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Exactly. The heads (red) are bolted onto the engine block/cylinders (blue). The heads can be removed with the engine in the car (very difficult) or with the engine out (much easier to remove and reinstall).

SUPER HELPFUL!!!! Thank you!!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

A crack in the head can be repaired for a couple grand - give or take.

A crack in the block (cylinder wall) will cost north of $15000 to repair.

Hence the - if it is in the block (cylinder) have him drop in the used engine - line of thinking

And don't feel bad about your expenses. You are still in the minor leagues. I paid $28000 to drive a 996 for 27 months.

Quick Reply: Cracked Head - Need Help