Sponsored by:

02 96 C4S To Tune or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Gaffa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 96 C4S To Tune or Not ?

I have an 02 4S that has an IPD plenum, cats removed, Fabspeed X pipe and Gundo hack. I may add a K&N intake but that would be it at this point. Car currently makes some lovely music and feels a bit livelier with the minor mods BUT my question is whether or not I now spend money on a tune or just leave it ? I've been looking at Protomotive, Cobb & Vivid Racing and not sure if one is better than the other or whether at this point it would be a waste of money ?

I plan on selling her later this year as I want a 996TT but still want to have as much fun as possible whilst driving the 4S and the new owner may appreciate the little extras. Cheers !
Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Subscribed as I too am on the fence about this.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

If youre going to sell it I wouldnt spend the money for a tune that would barely be noticeable. Just wait til you get the TT and tune that. The differences are astounding. The cobb AP tuner, as well as other options are definitely worth the money for the turbo, not so much on the n/a imo.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
The cobb AP tuner, as well as other options are definitely worth the money for the turbo, not so much on the n/a imo.
subscribing

but from what i understand, this seems to be the general consensus
Old 01-07-2018, 01:38 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts

Friend with a 997 Carrera 2 got the Revo tune. The car really woke up and he’s very happy having done the tune. More low-end torque and the car revs faster. He claims he gets more gas mileage now also.

The jump is not as big as on the turbos, but it made a difference in the way the car responds.

I would also consider doing an Underdrive Pulley. It will free up some HP and most people feel the difference. Low cost Mod.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PORSCHE...wAAOSwVcFXOgi3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Box...oAAOSwTtpZlc4V
Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM
HNSC4S
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribing as well. I have a 02 C4S with IPD and evo-ms CAI both of which I think I can feel small but noticeable improvements with. Have been thinking of a tune. Ive worried it could negatively impact resale value down the road with marginal benefit. Best mod I’ve done was to lower and put wheel spacers on.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have owned a few NA cars and IMHO modifying them gets you marginal gains. Here in Denver I have always done an intake or high flow filter and a more free flowing exhaust. Breath and exhaust better always helps. Software is a marginal gain for the $$. Now as has been mention on Turbo cars software can make big changes.

We just bought a NA 4S and the mods I do will be minimal due to to years of fiddling and unless you dig into the engine you do not get much for your $$. Now this is all my .02 worth from experience.

Now suspension, brakes and wheels etc. are a different topic.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. Not worth it. NA cars just don’t get much from a tune.

Quick Reply: 02 96 C4S To Tune or Not ?