996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 IMS retro fit make the motors safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:26 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 996 IMS retro fit make the motors safe?

Looking at picking up a 996, read that there is a IMS retro fit that will solve the grenade potential on the motor? They are just priced so low I figure just add $1500-$2k for the ims change. Correct?

Last edited by titan7; 01-01-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:41 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of online discussion of this subject - on this forum and many others.

There's a pretty general consensus that the IMS Solution from LN Engineering is a permanent fix. The cost of just the parts can reach $1500, and the labor will typically be more. It more or less requires that the engine be removed, which is time-consuming (and thus expensive) but allows other jobs to be done at the same time (e.g. RMS, AOS, clutch).

The IMS Solution is by no means the only choice - Googling will reveal plenty of others, with varying reviews. None is quick and easy to install.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:08 PM
todcp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow....big and complex question. Do your homework on this site. Also go to the PCA website for the video on IMS done with Jake of flat 6 innovations. Jake is the expert. Also go to flat6innovations.com site. Jake is a sponsor and has a ton of info on his site.
Prior to picking up my 2001 C4 I had the 6/75,000 Pro bearing from LN Engineering installed. Cost was $1750 total but I added a new clutch and RMS so paid just over $2300. The smart solution long term use is "the solution" from LN Engineering.

And I am crazy about my 996.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Makes the motor safer, possibly. Safer in it will be less likely to suffer an IMSB bearing failure. The engine is only as strong as its weakest part. Upgrade the bearing and you've just brought another threat to engine longevity to the top of the list. That rod wtih a tiny inclusion in it may be at the top of the list. Or a weak link in a cam chain. Or slightly less than perfect rod bolt.

Be aware that Porsche has jumped onto the IMSB replacement bearing bandwagon. My info is Porsche offers an IMSB upgrade/kit that sells for a couple of hundred dollars. Includes a new/improved bearing and some other stuff. 'course, the transmission has to come out of the car and the flywheel be removed and the proper steps followed to remove the old bearing and install the new bearing.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Makes the motor safer, possibly. Safer in it will be less likely to suffer an IMSB bearing failure. The engine is only as strong as its weakest part. Upgrade the bearing and you've just brought another threat to engine longevity to the top of the list. That rod wtih a tiny inclusion in it may be at the top of the list. Or a weak link in a cam chain. Or slightly less than perfect rod bolt.

Be aware that Porsche has jumped onto the IMSB replacement bearing bandwagon. My info is Porsche offers an IMSB upgrade/kit that sells for a couple of hundred dollars. Includes a new/improved bearing and some other stuff. 'course, the transmission has to come out of the car and the flywheel be removed and the proper steps followed to remove the old bearing and install the new bearing.
Got any more particulars on the Porsche factory upgrade kit?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
+996 on being curious about a Porsche IMS kit
Old 01-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
The factory ims bearing replacement kit contains a sealed, silicon nitride "ceramic" 6204 series single row ball bearing. This kit would be equivalent to the LN Classic Single Row IMS Retrofit. The main difference between the Porsche single row ceramic and LN single row ceramic kit is that the Porsche one has a larger center stud, like what was used on the 06-08 bearings, but the LN kit comes with an open bearing rather than a sealed one. Otherwise, load capacities are the same. I dare say the Porsche IMS kit has a prettier flange, but otherwise, function is the same.

What I find interesting is that Porsche came to the same conclusion as we did, however about 10 years after we did, for whatever that is worth.

We hardly sell any of the Single Row Classic IMS Retrofits anymore, as the Single Row Pro has double the load capacity for the same price or the IMS Solution provides a permanent solution to the IMS problem.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

titan7 - They're really spectacular little cars. I think you'll find one to be a nice compliment to your 991. Most of us get the LN replacement bearing which is not a permanent fix as it has to be changed out on a service interval of 6 years or 75,000 miles. The IMSB is not the only issue we fret about on this forum but it is certainly the issue that most of us take preventative steps to fix. If you're budgeting I will share that I paid $3,000 at a local independent shop to have my LN bearing installed along with a new clutch. I needed my new clutch but lots of folks here change out their clutch and sometimes flywheel regardless of need as a "while I'm in there" kind of deal.

As others have said - this isn't a simple issue. But if you're just stewing on the idea of adding a great Porsche at a great price to your stable, then yeah plan on doing $5,000ish worth of work to address some issues on a tired old 16-20 year old car, IMSB retrofit included for peace of mind.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:41 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The factory ims bearing replacement kit contains a sealed, silicon nitride "ceramic" 6204 series single row ball bearing. This kit would be equivalent to the LN Classic Single Row IMS Retrofit. The main difference between the Porsche single row ceramic and LN single row ceramic kit is that the Porsche one has a larger center stud, like what was used on the 06-08 bearings, but the LN kit comes with an open bearing rather than a sealed one. Otherwise, load capacities are the same. I dare say the Porsche IMS kit has a prettier flange, but otherwise, function is the same.

What I find interesting is that Porsche came to the same conclusion as we did, however about 10 years after we did, for whatever that is worth.

We hardly sell any of the Single Row Classic IMS Retrofits anymore, as the Single Row Pro has double the load capacity for the same price or the IMS Solution provides a permanent solution to the IMS problem.
When did this become available? When I was chewing the fat with the service manager at my dealer about a month ago, he still said their official position was that they would not replace an IMSB because Porsche offered no replacement part for it.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:47 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkraige
When did this become available? When I was chewing the fat with the service manager at my dealer about a month ago, he still said their official position was that they would not replace an IMSB because Porsche offered no replacement part for it.
It's been available now for about 5 months roughly if I were to take a stab.

Obviously they missed the memo and the class action suit.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 117 Posts

What year and mileage are we talking about? The dual row '99s have a very low rate of failure.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:02 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure I'd want this handled at a dealer anyway since their techs may be doing this job for the first time and figuring it out as they go; would prefer somebody who's done it dozens of times before.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:31 PM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 165 Posts

So basically, Porsche has a kit, and it is fairly cheap, but its not worth it as its the same thing as the single row classic? Seems like if anyone was swapping out, it would be worth the effort to just do the solution and be done with it. I actually may have spoken to you on the phone recently. I just bout a 2001, and the IMS has the bearing done with one of yours, but it was purchased and installed prior to your website keeping track of the serial numbers/model. I am unsure as to the model of bearing, and may just swap it out again at some point for the solution. The job was completed years ago, but the car only has 2000 miles on it since.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,582 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Interesting....This is the first I have heard of the Porsche upgrade. It didn't make a big splash when introduced. I have been retired from Porsche dealership for over 2 years now , but keep up pretty well on some things, especially IMS related since I own 3 cars with M96 engines.

I was under the impression Porsche was "done" with the IMS situation after the class action suit, but seems if someone chooses to preemptively replace their IMS with the Porsche approved upgrade, it would put them "back on the hook" again for a period of time during the warranty period.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Interesting....This is the first I have heard of the Porsche upgrade. It didn't make a big splash when introduced. I have been retired from Porsche dealership for over 2 years now , but keep up pretty well on some things, especially IMS related since I own 3 cars with M96 engines.

I was under the impression Porsche was "done" with the IMS situation after the class action suit, but seems if someone chooses to preemptively replace their IMS with the Porsche approved upgrade, it would put them "back on the hook" again for a period of time during the warranty period.
Price is $629.51 as of last July. Here are some pictures of the kit as well. There are no service bulletins with instructions, tools required, or recommended service interval that anyone can find. I guess they are expecting dealerships to just use the IMS Pro Tool kits they have used the last 10 years with the procedure we developed :-)

I would like to point out the date of manufacture on the labels. Bearings are from 2013 and the flange is from 2014. There are a few theories floating around. The most plausible is they came up with the kit thinking that the class action suit may result in their having to replace IMS bearings through some sort of recall. The kits themselves have a date stamp of 6/30/2017, so they were not kitted and ready for sale until this year.

It is reassuring that their engineers came up with the same answer we did going with a ceramic hybrid bearing and that they still believe lubrication is not a problem since they still are including a grease seal on the bearing.

Quick Reply: 996 IMS retro fit make the motors safe?