Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Topgear Cats w/muffler bypass for little dough...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:04 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Topgear Cats w/muffler bypass for little dough...

I decided to replace what I believe to be the original cats and O2 sensors in my '99 C2. I've never had any cels pointing to either. The mufflers did show some seam rust/rot on the bottoms.
Rather than spend $2k plus on a pair of 200 cell x-pipes, I decided to give a a pair of Topgear non x pipes a try. They were only $577 shipped to my door. The quality of of the welds and the overall appearance is fantastic for this price point. The fit and installation was spot on with no issues.
I also had a buddy do a muffler bypass on a pair of good used stock mufflers. The cost was $200 including the stainless tubing.
All in I'm at $777 dollars. The car sounds fantastic and seems more responsive and no CELs. It could be the cold air, since it was about 14 degrees today.
I also at this time replaced all 4 O2 sensors, new spark plugs and late style coils.
We'll see how these cats last vs the $2k versions.
Also, I am at about 3500 miles on a full Stage 1 FSI engine reconstruction w/IMS solution.
Today is most likely the last drive until spring, so I'll try to get some sound clips and update then.
This winter I plan to start replacing front suspension wear items.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:43 PM
Vfrealtor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Topgear Cats w/muffler bypass for little dough...