996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Member/Owner : Any advice / recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:53 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like my "dim" headlights were just both low beam bulbs were burnt out. That makes more sense now. lol.

Fun weekend in the 996. I put about 150 miles on her this weekend. To my surprise, the wife LOVES the car! This makes my life so much easier/better. She feels safe in the car and has no objections rolling around town running errands in her.

I found a screw in one of the tires today , so I had to do a little tire patching today as well. Feels good starting to get my hands a little dirty here and there with the car already.

The wife and I did a little tag teaming on the hard top too over the weekend.

All in all, so far so good. Tomorrow I make my IMS/RMS/AOS/Clutch/tstat/etc appointment.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:14 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Good stuff. Having your spouse involved with the car is definitely a plus if you work well as a team. I settled for "I'm happy you have it and do whatever, just leave me out of it."

With regards to your headlights - was it the fogs acting as a backup to your blown bulbs? Or were you in a total blackout situation?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:12 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Good stuff. Having your spouse involved with the car is definitely a plus if you work well as a team. I settled for "I'm happy you have it and do whatever, just leave me out of it."

With regards to your headlights - was it the fogs acting as a backup to your blown bulbs? Or were you in a total blackout situation?
LOL.. yeah.. my wife usually hates every car I own. She's kinda like that too, which is why this really surprised me. I couldn't believe she was helping me take that hard top on and off (and with a positive attitude!!!).

So, I was kinda in a half-denial state-of-mind where i was telling myself the headlights normally worked that way and you're supposed to pull the switch out when driving at night (i was purposely avoiding that section of the manual while i'd look up other stuff). I didn't want to admit to myself that i had no functional low beams. I finally got over it today and went to work on the lights. It was even easier than the posts/videos online make it out to be!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:19 PM
derv88
Rennlist Member

You get over that IMS fear pretty quickly with the key in your hand and your brand new to you porsche within an arms length. It's a challenge to keep to the plan which basically goes flying out the window.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:00 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Dropped her off today for the IMS DOF Kit install, AOS, RMS, Clutch kit, Low temp tstat, and oil/filter change. Hopefully I don't get a call tomorrow for a longer list of items needed. :-)

Old 01-04-2018, 12:11 AM
texcwa
Racer

Since your in to it, plugs are due at 60k miles!, also you did not mention a new water pump or brake bleed! The list just keeps on going.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:14 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by texcwa
Since your in to it, plugs are due at 60k miles!, also you did not mention a new water pump or brake bleed! The list just keeps on going.
There was an invoice from the PO sitting in the passenger seat when the car was delivered last week.. He dropped $5,000 in service in May of 2017 and a water pump and brake bleed were in there. As well as plugs, a battery, a couple of CV boots, hydraulic rams for the frunk/engine, all new speakers, etc.. a bunch of misc stuff
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 AM
texcwa
Racer

Sounds like your going to be ready to hit the road. Enjoy the twisties and all other enjoyment from your new car.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Sounds like your going to be ready to hit the road. Enjoy the twisties and all other enjoyment from your new car.
thank you sir. trying to be semi-responsible since i got yelled at already for doing things the wrong way once or twice already. :-) j/k.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:51 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Alright gents. I've been blooded in by the holy ritual that separates 996/997 NA porsche owners from large stacks of hundred dollar bills. IMS DOF kit is in and I'm ready to run with the pack.

Original Dual Row IMS bearing and RMS were still in car

Artists rendering of new IMS DOF kit being installed

Fancy shiny marketing brochure that lured me and my debit card in
Old 01-04-2018, 08:19 PM
texcwa
Racer

If that's your mechanic then I need to be thinking of changing indy's
Old 01-04-2018, 08:27 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

If that's your mechanic then I need to be thinking of changing indy's
she told me my exhaust bearings were bad. I believe her.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:29 PM
mrjonger
Pro

You might want to have them check the engine mounts and coolant reservoir while the engine is out. They should be able to cut you a deal on the labor for the engine mounts, seeing as how there's no incremental labor. A bit late, but here's the link for the IMS prequal http://imsretrofit.com/pre-procedure-qualification/ Should be fine if there as no metal in your oil and the IMS looked good when pulled. Dual row failures are very low anyhow.

Make sure you check oil (via dipstick) and coolant levels regularly - manual says at every fill up (I like to do it after the engine has cooled down after reaching full temp). Some oil consumption is common.You might want to condition the soft top if it hasn't been done in a while. You want to operate the soft top regularly to keep in working properly. Regarding the drain plugs, there was a TSB where they removed the lines - this greatly reduces the likelihood of clog and makes maintenance a lot easier.

Congrats and happy trails
Old 01-07-2018, 10:57 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrjonger
You might want to have them check the engine mounts and coolant reservoir while the engine is out. They should be able to cut you a deal on the labor for the engine mounts, seeing as how there's no incremental labor. A bit late, but here's the link for the IMS prequal http://imsretrofit.com/pre-procedure-qualification/ Should be fine if there as no metal in your oil and the IMS looked good when pulled. Dual row failures are very low anyhow.

Make sure you check oil (via dipstick) and coolant levels regularly - manual says at every fill up (I like to do it after the engine has cooled down after reaching full temp). Some oil consumption is common.You might want to condition the soft top if it hasn't been done in a while. You want to operate the soft top regularly to keep in working properly. Regarding the drain plugs, there was a TSB where they removed the lines - this greatly reduces the likelihood of clog and makes maintenance a lot easier.

Congrats and happy trails
Thanks for the time/advice. Much appreciated.

So far so good.. the mounts looked ok. I was more than willing to put in new mounts if it needed it. The coolant reservoir is one of those projects I intend to do at home. I want to start doing more of the work myself. I just really wanted the peace of mind of having the first major service done by professionals.

The wife and i have been taking off the hard top and spending the weekends driving around with the soft top up/down. I want to buy a new plastic rear window and have it professionally sewn/glued in. There's about a 1 inch section along the bottom seam I dont trust.

I need to read up more on the drain plugs. I'm not familiar with this issue/TSB.

My wife was not happy with me driving on the highway yesterday at 85 and taking a call on my cell (could have been my office), so, she "made" me buy a new double din stereo with bluetooth. That's my current next project. :-)
Old 01-08-2018, 03:32 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

The IMS bearing now lives alongside my piston of shame on my desk at work

I tried building up one of my 200X motors as crazy as i could and i overlooked the fact that I put in a high compression piston (flat top) as well as a cam with a lot longer duration. Oops.

Quick Reply: New Member/Owner : Any advice / recommendations