Sponsored by:

New Member/Owner : Any advice / recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:02 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member/Owner : Any advice / recommendations

Just got into the porsche game with my first. It's an '00 C4 Cabriolet Silver/Black w/53k miles.

Once I take delivery of it, first thing I plan to do is get an DOF IMS Kit installed at/by TuneRS. Luckily, they're right by my house.

After all the reading i've done, I really like the idea of oil injection for the same price practically as an LN kit.

I ordered a Foxwell NT510 also so I can read codes (if any) and make sure I'm not flying blind to any issues.

I bought the car online, so, aside from a bunch of pictures, videos, carfax, and blind faith, I haven't seen it up close myself yet.

What do you all recommend I look at and, any information you think I need to know in advance? I've tried to read as much as possible before buying a 996. I think I understand the caveats and probably understand 4 or 5 of the 100000000000 MOF's, but, as has been said before, i think most cars have some sort of fatal flaw in them. Particularly high performance cars driven .. well.. in high performance ways. lol.

It's supposed to look like this. i guess we'll soon find out!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

I bought mine sight unseen other than pictures a couple states away and didn't opt for a PPI. I did a pretty basic inspection from under the car checking basic wearable items, for leaks, and anything that might have been worrisome. Everything was dry, RMS was leaking a little bit but nothing worth fussing over.

If you can, at least get the car up in the air and get a good look underneath if you aren't have a PPI done, other than that you're limited in what you can actually inspect.

Can't really note on the DOF system as I went with LN after I purchased the car, maybe someone else can chime in that's used that product.

Aside from that, what do the service records look like? Looks like a solid example of a C4 cab, and if it comes with the hardtop that's a nice addition as well.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:22 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

would never, ever recommend any body buy a car with out a complete inspection, unless it is at a dealer and you are getting a factory warranty.
youre on your own
Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by okbarnett
would never, ever recommend any body buy a car with out a complete inspection, unless it is at a dealer and you are getting a factory warranty.
youre on your own
so, if you get an inspection at a dealer , you're NOT on your own? C'mon man. Get over yourself.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Billup
I bought mine sight unseen other than pictures a couple states away and didn't opt for a PPI. I did a pretty basic inspection from under the car checking basic wearable items, for leaks, and anything that might have been worrisome. Everything was dry, RMS was leaking a little bit but nothing worth fussing over.

If you can, at least get the car up in the air and get a good look underneath if you aren't have a PPI done, other than that you're limited in what you can actually inspect.

Can't really note on the DOF system as I went with LN after I purchased the car, maybe someone else can chime in that's used that product.

Aside from that, what do the service records look like? Looks like a solid example of a C4 cab, and if it comes with the hardtop that's a nice addition as well.
Thanks, the place looks pretty good. A+ reviews on BBB, clean carfax, etc. I mean, its an 18 year old $20,000 Porsche with 53k miles. We know what we're getting into at the end of the day.

There was no history of IMS/RMS/AOS work done, so, looks like that's on my very short list of things to get done as soon as i take delivery.

I just got my paperwork (Title, etc), so, ... so far so good.

Fingers crossed... and thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yamasaki
so, if you get an inspection at a dealer , you're NOT on your own? C'mon man. Get over yourself.
Well that's a nice way to friends.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:55 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Well that's a nice way to friends.
perhaps. however, there are nicer ways to make introductions as well.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yamasaki
perhaps. however, there are nicer ways to make introductions as well.
You're the one doing the intro followed up by a wise *** comment. Good luck with the car. Looks like it has an aero front bumper and sideskirts. Looks good.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:03 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
You're the one doing the intro followed up by a wise *** comment. Good luck with the car. Looks like it has an aero front bumper and sideskirts. Looks good.
gotcha. so the "you're on your own" comment was totally necessary by this guy.

whatever.

just delete this thread admin.

sorry i bothered to post on your site.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Thanks for all the positive private messages. My faith in humanity has been restored. lol.

reopening my thread.. was just bummed my first thread degraded into negativity in .000003 seconds.

lets move on..
Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 PM
texcwa
Racer

Glad to see you back online. Hope to see some more pic when you get the car. Enjoy and keep us up to date. These cars are just a blast to drive and you can never learn enough about them.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:26 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by texcwa
Glad to see you back online. Hope to see some more pic when you get the car. Enjoy and keep us up to date. These cars are just a blast to drive and you can never learn enough about them.
thank you. I gotta say, I'm pretty excited. Gonna be a big difference from what I'm used to. Currently have a '70 F100 390FE and Dodge Ram 1500 with 37" tires.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 PM
texcwa
Racer

Yes, big difference, Ram 3500 Diesel, Ford F250 Diesel, Toyota FJ40 & 1949 Dodge B1PW "Power Wagon" here. my Porsche is the only non 4wd vehicle I own (guess I should of got a C4, lol)
Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Congrats! Keep a close eye on all plastic bits and hoses in the engine bay as they are most likely original.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a car if they have no prior experience servicing them either, but if you're at least fundamental you can do a basic inspection yourself, but, it obviously will only tell you a very small story, and yes it can be a gamble on these cars. As is with any. However, doesn't mean you're on your own, happens quite often.

and by records, are there service records available for maintenance over the course of the 53k miles? If not, it's another toss of the dice.

Quick Reply: New Member/Owner : Any advice / recommendations