996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Low beam headlight failed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay I was looking for the pin number on the female side (on the car) on the headlight assembly there are numbers:

1 6
2 7
3 8
4 9
5 10 (these two location appear empty)

I was able to check the voltages successfully. I am getting no power to the low beam pin on the passenger side. I verified I have power to the high beams on the passenger side and for both high and low on the drivers side.
So now does this point to the headlight switch? I guess my next step is to pull the headlight switch.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:17 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Before I pulled the headlight switch,it was suggested I pull the wheel liner to see if the plug was askew. Nothing found but now my parking light and side marker light aren't working. I tried wiggling wires to see if there was any change but alas no change. I really wanted to fix this myself but I seem to be making it worse. I may just throw in the towel on this one.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 764 Posts

Ummm...see if you can trace the Brown wire ground. From the wiring diagram, the low beam and side marker light share a common grounding point, although I'm not sure where it is. If you can see the back of the wiring harness plug, perhaps you can follow the brown wire to a common ground..
Old 12-13-2017, 05:57 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Ummm...see if you can trace the Brown wire ground. From the wiring diagram, the low beam and side marker light share a common grounding point, although I'm not sure where it is. If you can see the back of the wiring harness plug, perhaps you can follow the brown wire to a common ground..
Thanks for the tip I'll look for this.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:32 AM
bornrich
Instructor

Did more test and I think this is a switch problem. So I bit the bullet and order the headlight switch from pelican. I should get it by Wednesday.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:47 PM
bornrich
Instructor

I got the new switch and tried installing it today. Not a bad job if you have the right tools (24mm deep socket, torx screwdrivers). But alas it did not fix my issue. :-(
Back to the drawing board.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Buy a cheap voltmeter and check the voltage at the connector. 12V there means switch is good and something else is wrong. No 12V means the switch is probably bad. Also clean the headlight connections with some electrical cleaner, especially where the headlight seats in the headlamp frame.
Have you cleaned the connectors as yet?
Have you swapped bulbs left to right as yet?
I have HIDs, and after I bought a new bulb, my headlight was still out. I swaped bulbs and they were still out. I cleaned my connector and I have been good ever since.
Testing the voltage from the diagram above would give you a definitive answer though.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Yea I swapped the bulbs and cleaned connectors. I did test the voltage. No voltage for the low beam circuit, good voltage to high beam. Fuses all good. Further research and investigation will follow.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Try replacing the fuse. I just yesterday had a fuse that looked good but wasn't.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:14 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Try replacing the fuse. I just yesterday had a fuse that looked good but wasn't.
I swapped the fuses from one side to the other with no change.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Did you trace the brown ground wire mentioned above?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:28 PM
bornrich
Instructor

I did follow it as far as I could and found no anomalies. I wiggled the wires to see if the light would flicker but no change.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:37 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bornrich
I did follow it as far as I could and found no anomalies. I wiggled the wires to see if the light would flicker but no change.
Unless you follow it from point A to point B you can't rule it out.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:26 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bornrich
Does your meter have a continuity tester? If so, you could run a wire to the ground pin and test it at the fuse block to see if there is a break in the wire. If the ground is good to the fuse block, then test it to the switch. Keep going until you figure it out. If your meter doesn't have a continuity tester, you can rig one up easily enough with a battery and a light bulb, but they are really cheap to buy, or just upgrade your meter. Auto-ranging digital multimeters with lots of goodies have gotten pretty cheap these days.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:06 PM
bornrich
Instructor

I decided to go back and start at the beginning after the new HL switch was installed. Upon checking the fuses again found that that a couple were blown. That fixed the side marker issue. I then rechecked the headlight bulb and it was blown too. Put bulb from the HB in the low beam and,,,voila I had low beams again. I now have my lights back working. Proved that you have to keep reviewing you checks. I was moving in a linear fashion and did this to recheck after each step. Might have saved me from some aggravation. The ultimate failure was probably the switch but things are never easy with electrical issues.

Quick Reply: Low beam headlight failed