Sponsored by:

99 m96 3.4 rebuilt motor for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:52 AM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 99 m96 3.4 rebuilt motor for sale

If its frowned upon to list items for sale here, I apologize in advance. That being said, I'm listing my m96 3.4 engine out of my 99 996. Here are some details:

Miles: 121,000
condition: excellent (I'll go into details)
IMS bearing: done at 105K miles LN ceramic dual row
reason for selling: moving to an LS engine and would like to get this lump sold first

I bought the car in April of 2014 with the intention of making it a fun street car and occasional track car. As I do with every car I own, I spent hours on here and various other entertaining places gathering as much knowledge as I could trying to understand the cars inherent weakness. Needless to say, there are a lot of them. a few months after purchasing the car, I took it out on a track day only to find oil pressure drops, high water temps, and just scared for the motors longevity. Needless to say I didnt do that again until oiling mods were done. I got a Mantis 1.2qt oil pan with baffle to help with oil slosh and while installing it, I noticed there was quite a bit of brown plastic shavings in the pan. The cam chain guides had worn and needed to be replaced. I didnt actually tear down the motor for another couple of months until I one day I noticed some black plastic chunks in the oil pan (I pulled the pan again to install AN fitting into the pan to run cooler lines to the front).

Long story short, the IMS chain guide had also worn down and the only way to replace it was to tear down the motor (as most of you know). I had a good friend take on the job (he runs a small indy performance shop in Carol Stream IL). Durring the rebuild, I was able to get a good understanding of what else needed to be replaced while everything was apart. To my relief, the cylinder walls were in perfect condition. they were inspected to ensure they were still round and not oval, no cylinder scoring, no cracks of any kind. Here is what was replaced to the best of my recollection:

Cylinder heads cleaned, 3 angle valve job, new seals new gaskets
all new chain tensioners (all 3)
every single gasket replaced
new rod bearings (old ones actually looked very good)
new AOS
new oil cooler with new seals
new coils and plugs
new chains
new chain guides (every guide was replaced)
new rear main seal
new clutch and flywheel
ARP rod bolts were used and spec'ed by the machine shop
new head bolts (OE)
new header studs were used (old ones were seized and required machine shop to remove)

The motor is very health, pulls strong all the way to redline. Oil pressure is perfect (1.2 bar at hot idle and 5 bar at anything over 3K RPM hot). I have a separate oil pressure sender installed on bank one to monitor oil pressure separately from the oe cluster (which I dont trust). I also have the pan tapped for oil temp which hovers right around 180-190F on regular drives. The total oil capacity of this engine is roughly 11qts without my oil cooler lines. I've always ran DT40 and changed the oil every 3K miles or less.

Engine is still in the car so I can show anything you may want to see. I'll post a video of start up and idle shortly (or whatever anyone may want).

I'm looking for $7000 and I'm able to ship anywhere in the continental US (shipping will be extra).

In the event a sale is made, I will have the motor pulled, placed on a palate and shipped out to you within 48-72 hours.

Please ask any questions.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:11 PM
kondata17
Instructor

here is the dyno after the rebuild
Old 11-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

What are you putting back in it? Wanna trade for a 3.8l track engine? I’d need a little (a lot) of boot though.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slakker
What are you putting back in it? Wanna trade for a 3.8l track engine? I €™d need a little (a lot) of boot though.
I appreciate the offer, but my guess is you're looking for more of a boot than my whole intended project will cost. I'm looking at throwing in a ls1 in it.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

kondata17: You in the Chicago area? When it comes time to put the LS motor in, I want to see in person! Will work for free.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:38 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you get the attention of someone? Wasn't

brwilson

was wondering what to do with his roller? Although I dont remember if he has a .1 or .2
Old 11-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kondata17
If its frowned upon to list items for sale here, I apologize in advance.
The only thing that is frowned upon is selling something on RL and not being a paying member. Pay the $18 and you can post in the classifieds.
Good luck!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:55 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
The only thing that is frowned upon is selling something on RL and not being a paying member. Pay the $18 and you can post in the classifieds.
Good luck!
fair enough, I'll do that.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

fair enough, I'll do that.
Good man!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:42 PM
nckwrnr
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine sounds like a great deal for someone! What did that level of rebuild cost you for the shop to do? Also I would assume new piston rings? I didn't see that mentioned.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM Sent.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 PM
brwilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you get the attention of someone? Wasn't

brwilson

was wondering what to do with his roller? Although I dont remember if he has a .1 or .2
That looks impressive! If I hadn't just bought another car I would probably jump on it, like now. Mine is a 3.4 so I am assuming it would work.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Originally Posted by nckwrnr
Engine sounds like a great deal for someone! What did that level of rebuild cost you for the shop to do? Also I would assume new piston rings? I didn't see that mentioned.
didnt change the rings since that would have required honing the cylinders. the cylinders and rings themselves were in perfect shape. The whole rebuild was just about 6K if I remember correctly.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Livadi
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt change the rings since that would have required honing the cylinders. the cylinders and rings themselves were in perfect shape. The whole rebuild was just about 6K if I remember correctly.
kondata17 I believe you're the one I bought the 997 bumper from!

To any potential buyers, seller is a genuine dude! Ive seen the car in person and will vouch for this motor. It is in great condition!

With that being said here is the pic of the bumper installed I was suppose to send you lol

Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Livadi: That looks pretty cool!!

Post some other shots of that.....how much work was it to put that on?

Quick Reply: 99 m96 3.4 rebuilt motor for sale