Sponsored by:

Marketplace for Porsche parts - user to user

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:50 AM
Andrewck
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Marketplace for Porsche parts - user to user

Ok, so in my latest search for snow tires, I realized how painful the process of buying/selling lightly used Porsche parts actually is.
  1. There's no one location to see everything and keep organized (I have 20 bookmarks). I find myself looking at (996 forum, RL classifieds, ebay, craigslist, other sites)
  2. Communication is often slow or poor and I'm often confused if a listed item has been sold or is still available
  3. Sellers aren't always reputable and I worry about the quality of parts, legitimacy of transaction (mostly public listing sites)
  4. All I want as a buyer is to have a clean, organized marketplace to compare parts and have a straightforward transaction
As a seller, I face similar frustrations
  1. My quality listings get lost in the classifieds or buried among spam and other listings
  2. I answer tons of questions about the product and never hear back from potential buyers (or get lowball offers)
  3. I have to refresh or bump my listings on a weekly (or more often) basis to prevent them from going away
  4. All I want as a seller is "set it and forget it" and to recoup some money to spend on more parts
Having this problem over the past couple years, I just got fed up this evening and decided to build a marketplace to see if I can create a better solution: Flat Six Market. This is a marketplace for new and used Porsche parts made for Porsche enthusiasts, by a Porsche enthusiast. It's clean, simple, and populated by members of the Porsche community.

If this works and serves as a good resource for the community, I'll keep it up and continue to refine it. If not, then I'll let it expire and go back to crawling the various classifieds, forums and auction sites for parts. I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, so queue the burn...

https://porsche-parts.sharetribe.com/
Old 11-21-2017, 05:59 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. The one part you have listed (window regulator) has no description/details, though.

I have huge piles of 996, 986, and 914 parts I would like to off-load.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

It's definitely a good idea, only problem I see is gaining enough public interest to really expand. People (myself included), have pretty much given in to the fact that finding stuff usually means having to have multiple online resources. I see this as just that, another resource, so it has potential if it gains traction.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Its a techie joke, but seems applicable...

Good luck though. It would be nice if it works out.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Sounds like a good idea. The one part you have listed (window regulator) has no description/details, though.

I have huge piles of 996, 986, and 914 parts I would like to off-load.
Yup, it was added as a test when I put the site together last night. Added a more detailed description and will add more photos later today.

Hey, here's a good excuse and place to list some of those parts you want to off-load.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billup
It's definitely a good idea, only problem I see is gaining enough public interest to really expand. People (myself included), have pretty much given in to the fact that finding stuff usually means having to have multiple online resources. I see this as just that, another resource, so it has potential if it gains traction.
Agree with the uphill battle on educating people for a new outlet, but it doesn't hurt to try. The worst thing that happens is I put my heart and time into trying to make it work and get my dreams and confidence crushed.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:38 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewck
The worst thing that happens is I put my heart and time into trying to make it work and get my dreams and confidence crushed.
Well as a 996 owner you should already be used to such

Old 11-21-2017, 02:21 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Well as a 996 owner you should already be used to such

Harsh!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Dang it, I was going to post that!

Originally Posted by gnat
Its a techie joke, but seems applicable...

Good luck though. It would be nice if it works out.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:14 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice idea, is it local only or international too?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan_189
Nice idea, is it local only or international too?
As long as seller is willing to ship international. Or there's a large enough local market.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewck
As long as seller is willing to ship international. Or there's a large enough local market.
Nice, would be good to have a flag or some indication if the seller is willing to post internationally.

Giddy up!

Quick Reply: Marketplace for Porsche parts - user to user