Old 11-16-2017, 04:28 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts
Default PPF

Originally Posted by texcwa
Who would you recommend in the Sacramento, CA area for removal? Depending on cost, I may need to wait for new install but if paint finish is still in great condition I do plan on new.

Thanks
We actually have quite a few in your area. Click this link to see the Installer Locator for the Sacramento Area. Appearance Solutions just helped us out at an event in Monterey with the Porsche club and they do excellent work. - XPEL Installers near Sacramento, CA -

We have seen countless installs and removals here at XPEL and judging by the photos you posted, it looks like you're in good shape and that the film may come off easily. At least easier than what it could be. As another forum member posted in the thread, old clear bra can look cracked and worn. Once it gets to that point is when it becomes extremely difficult to remove. Your film still looks intact and pretty smooth so it may come off easier. You could always try to remove the partial fender piece on your own using a steamer and if it comes off easy then you know could probably tackle the other body panels yourself. If it doesn't, then that's when you'll have your answer on if you should take it to a professional.

When considering coverage for the next install, we typically don't do partial front end kits for sports cars anymore. Now that film is so readily available in 60" sheets, body panels can be done in one big piece. Our XPEL Pre-Cut kits will fit your Porsche perfectly as Porsche is our #1 most popular brand we protect worldwide. After protecting the full front end: full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, and side mirrors, a lot of owners will replace the factory film in front of the rear wheel (also known as the shark fin). The XPEL Pre-Cut Kit will cover more of that body panel to provide even better protection.

Hope this helps, let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:50 PM
QATD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who would you recommend in the Sacramento, CA area for removal? Depending on cost, I may need to wait for new install but if paint finish is still in great condition I do plan on new.

Thanks
If you are interested in the 3M Pro Series, we have many certified installers in California. You can click the dealer locator below to find one easily. All 3M Certified Installers will be able to offer you not only the 10 year warranty but also the 5 year service agreement. 3M is the only company offering a service agreement that covers the paint underneath the film. If a rock actually manages to get through the film, 3M will pay up to $3,500 per incident to remove the damaged film, repair the damaged area and install new film, and it covers used cars as well as new.

Check out the dealer locator to find an installer. http://www.3m.com/ppf-findadealer
Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM
QATD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Be prepared for worst case too...paint may come off along with the film.
Paint will only come off if either the paint isn't adhering to the primer underneath or the paint is damaged from a rock getting through the film, which weakens the paint's overall integrity. We have seen cases where the clearcoat separates from the basecoat, but these instances are rare and are usually caused by one of the previously mentioned reasons. The most common issues we see are body shop repairs and repaints that weren't prepped properly. Just use a steamer and go slow.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:20 PM
texcwa
Racer

XPEL, Thanks for the information
Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 PM
texcwa
Racer

QATD, Thanks for the information
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 PM
QATD
Former Vendor

My pleasure! We are excited to be here and to be part of the discussion. There are a ton of buzzwords out there and a TON of misinformation. To be honest, most of the public has never heard of paint protection film or the word clear bra. We are not here to give you any "corporate" rhetoric. First and foremost we are car guys. We're all installers. So we can give you our advice and info as the "guy on the street", so to speak. We just happen to carry some awesome products too. If you have any questions whatsoever, please let us know.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Say Yes to PPF

QATD, Thanks for the information
Happy to help.

Originally Posted by QATD
My pleasure! We are excited to be here and to be part of the discussion. There are a ton of buzzwords out there and a TON of misinformation. To be honest, most of the public has never heard of paint protection film or the word clear bra. We are not here to give you any "corporate" rhetoric. First and foremost we are car guys. We're all installers. So we can give you our advice and info as the "guy on the street", so to speak. We just happen to carry some awesome products too. If you have any questions whatsoever, please let us know.
Welcome to Rennlist, we're happy to have more people that can help spread accurate information about paint protection.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:26 PM
koobs996
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent some more time removing film today. The vertical parts of the car that haven't received much sun were not cracked and came off pretty easily and in fairly large pieces. Gentle use of the heat gun made pretty easy work of it and the paint is undamaged. I suspect removing yours will not be too bad.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the response. How long had yours been on the car and was it XPEL? Did you use a particular adhesive remover?
It was the old 3M film and had been on my car for 6 yrs. A little bit of Goo Gone removed any excess glue residue. Its probably better to remove it in a warm location.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:54 PM
texcwa
Racer

Thanks for all the responses and although I have not made my final decision on if I will attempt to remove it or have someone with experience do it, I welcome comments from others who have removed their clear bra themselves. I have reached out to a company (that was on XPEL's approved applicators list) in my area and got a cost of between $1600 - $1800 to remove all of existing materials. do a paint correction and install XPEL's new product over entire front of car, side mirrors and behind rear wheels on fenders. This price does not seem to be to bad. Anyone else recently have this perform? If so, would like to know if price seems good.

Thanks

Quick Reply: XPEL Clear Bra Removal