Sponsored by:

key replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Any reputable locksmith can cut the key blade. As others mentioned, the two steps that require technical intervention are pairing the remote transmitter to the car and then pairing the transponder chip to the car. You don't have to spend $400+ to get this all done.
I'll spend the extra money knowing it is done correctly from the dealer.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:07 AM
brianbbs67
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I imagine its done correctly if it works.
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (05-19-2020)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:55 PM
jeffsnavely
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here's the definitive cheapest way to get replacement key:

Just bought a '99 C4.

Bought key fob remote head (one button for '99) from Sonnen (cheapest of the online dealers for this part) www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com - $143

Ordered key blade from keysinthpost.com as mentioned above. So easy - just attach a photo of your blade for them to copy, with shipping was 26 pounds = $34. To attach to the transmitter head pry open the head and use a small screwdriver to pull back the small sliding pin on a spring then push in key blade. I needed a hard surface to push against as it was pretty stiff.

These two items (remote & blade) would have totaled $321 after 10% PCA discount from Tysons Porsche vs. the $177 I paid online.

-Do NOT order the one-piece key with black handle (no remote button) from keysinpost.com (called Porsche Car Key up to 2004 with Transponder Chip - it's $70 w shipping). A service writer told me this would not work. The dealer needs the transponder code tag from Porsche. It's not worth taking the chance with this, especially if you end up paying $180+ to try to get it programmed and it doesn't work -the OEM fob is only $75 more.

-You MUST go to a dealer to program the new transmitter fob - make sure you bring the attached key tag with the codes on it and keep the tag for future use if any problems.

I spoke to an Indy shop who said they could try to program it but further research showed that the dealer must send a request to Porsche to program the key. Again, I wouldn't risk the time/money trying to get this done at an indy as it probably/definitely won't work.

I called several dealers and got quotes of $156-180 to program the key. I went to Tysons Porsche (Northern VA area) and they didn't charge me for it as I was also having a brake flush done. They definitely earned my future business from this nice gesture! They had previously told me over the phone (different service writer) that they would only program a key that I buy from them, but I just brought in my key from Sonnen in the OEM parts bag with sticker and key tag attached and they didn't ask where I bought it.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

My 99 came with both keys plus the valet key, but one of the keys with the fob is missing the blade. The P.O. said the blade fell out after it got loose and was lost. It sounds like I just need to buy a cut key blade and one of the fobs from sonnenporsche, since I don't trust the current fob to hold a blade. Should be about $200 all in. Thanks for the links.

Last edited by Splitting Atoms; 08-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I wonder if a key from a totalled 996 could be reprogrammed to another one?
Old 08-04-2018, 08:14 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffsnavely
Just bought a '99 C4.

Bought key fob remote head (one button for '99) from Sonnen (cheapest of the online dealers for this part) www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com - $143

Ordered key blade from keysinthpost.com as mentioned above. So easy - just attach a photo of your blade for them to copy, with shipping was 26 pounds = $34. To attach to the transmitter head pry open the head and use a small screwdriver to pull back the small sliding pin on a spring then push in key blade. I needed a hard surface to push against as it was pretty stiff.

These two items (remote & blade) would have totaled $321 after 10% PCA discount from Tysons Porsche vs. the $177 I paid online.

-Do NOT order the one-piece key with black handle (no remote button) from keysinpost.com (called Porsche Car Key up to 2004 with Transponder Chip - it's $70 w shipping). A service writer told me this would not work. The dealer needs the transponder code tag from Porsche. It's not worth taking the chance with this, especially if you end up paying $180+ to try to get it programmed and it doesn't work -the OEM fob is only $75 more.

-You MUST go to a dealer to program the new transmitter fob - make sure you bring the attached key tag with the codes on it and keep the tag for future use if any problems.

I spoke to an Indy shop who said they could try to program it but further research showed that the dealer must send a request to Porsche to program the key. Again, I wouldn't risk the time/money trying to get this done at an indy as it probably/definitely won't work.

I called several dealers and got quotes of $156-180 to program the key. I went to Tysons Porsche (Northern VA area) and they didn't charge me for it as I was also having a brake flush done. They definitely earned my future business from this nice gesture! They had previously told me over the phone (different service writer) that they would only program a key that I buy from them, but I just brought in my key from Sonnen in the OEM parts bag with sticker and key tag attached and they didn't ask where I bought it.

Just went to Sonnen's site, which one of these is for a 2003 base Carrera Coupe?

Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

@sasilverbullet you need

996 637 244 42

The version for the Boxster has 3 buttons, the one you need only has two, see here:

https://www.5150motorsport.com/facto...37-244-42.html
Old 08-05-2018, 06:20 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

My ‘99 has only one button, but The only place I’ve seen them is here. Anyone have experience with these guys?

https://www.remotesremotes.com/Produ...%2D1B&CartID=1
Old 08-05-2018, 06:39 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
My ‘99 has only one button, but The only place I’ve seen them is here. Anyone have experience with these guys?

https://www.remotesremotes.com/Produ...%2D1B&CartID=1
I wouldn't buy that. They can be found here or even the dealership:

https://www.5150motorsport.com/factory-keyless-remote-1-button-1999-2000-996-637-243-01.html
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

I called my dealer, they want $468 for the key plus $160 to program it, $628 total! Based on that, I went ahead and ordered the transmitter from Sonnen and the blade from keysinthepost. I called every indie in my area, none can link it to my car. Worst case I’ll have to give it to the dealer, but only as a last resort.
I have some days to expand my indie search.

@splittingatoms: you’re not too far from me, do you know any indie that can do the programming?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
@splittingatoms: you’re not too far from me, do you know any indie that can do the programming?
I don't know any good Indies for electronics. I haven't attempted getting my key fixed yet. Since I have the fob with the functional transmitter, I won't need to get mine programmed. I just need the blade and case.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:32 AM
smuko
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If somebody need I can learn used key fobs ( from ebay for example ) for all types cars 996 986 ,Or I can program new 24 character code to used key fob ,after this is possible learn again it to each car . You need only know 6 character pin code from PAS unit ,it's easy for all .
Best regards

Last edited by smuko; 08-19-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:20 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
My 99 came with both keys plus the valet key, but one of the keys with the fob is missing the blade. The P.O. said the blade fell out after it got loose and was lost. It sounds like I just need to buy a cut key blade and one of the fobs from sonnenporsche, since I don't trust the current fob to hold a blade. Should be about $200 all in. Thanks for the links.
If you have a fob (without blade) that works why would cost you $200? you should just get a key from keyinthepost and then put some glue on the blade and stick it in your fob....would cost $34. I have done this. Alternatively, you can just buy a fob case on ebay for less than $10....have done that as well in the past.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by smuko
If somebody need I can learn used key fobs ( from ebay for example ) for all types cars 996 986 .
How much does that cost?
Old 02-06-2021, 01:33 PM
NYGLOBAL
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
How much does that cost?
some usefyinfo

-Key remotes need to be programmed by a Porsche dealer to work.

-Porsche dealers only accept to program key remotes that are new and purchased from a Porsche authorized dealer. Most will require proof of purchase.

- As of 2021 a dealer can request with your Vin a remote with key that comes from Germany preprogramed ready for your vehicle. I would recommend this route.

- Most Locksmiths cannot cut a key blank for a porsche. So call in advance to confirm.

- you need a remote (programed transponder chip) for a porsche to start the engine. A copy with blade only would only open doors but will not start the vehicle.

The cost for me was 1. $200 remote + $30 blde from suncoast Porsche 2. $30 to cut the key , 3. 1hr labor at the dealer $200.

Quick Reply: key replacement