Sponsored by:

Glove box handle removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 02:14 PM
muranomike
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glove box handle removal

So I have to replace my glove box handle on my 996 and it sounds like it should be possible without taking out the whole box.

I've read Lorens DIY on renntech where he describes removing a bunch of screws from the felt, and the backing falls away to make the handle easily accessible.

The problem I have is I can't get at the back 2 screws. I think the step I'm missing is to somehow disengage the glove box door from its plastic support struts. They are plastic, and I can't see the inside of the mechanism. I don't want to put too much force in the wrong direction and break them.

What is the correct movement to disengage the plastic support struts on the glovebox??

Thanks - sorry this is probably something super simple.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:51 PM
muranomike
Intermediate

I got impatient and just pulled harder.

There is a small hook on the plastic strut that hooks onto an eye on the felt liner of the glove box. You just unhook it by pulling the plastic strut back toward you.

Maybe this will help someone else. The screws are easy to get to after that.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:29 PM
alabamatoy
Intermediate

Whaaat? 996 Glovebox? Mine (2000) has none. I didnt know such a thing existed. Wonder if its something I can scavenge from a wreck and upgrade mine? I would like to have a glovebox....
Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by alabamatoy
Whaaat? 996 Glovebox? Mine (2000) has none. I didnt know such a thing existed. Wonder if its something I can scavenge from a wreck and upgrade mine? I would like to have a glovebox....
you will have to replace the whole dashboard and the supporting bar behind it.

Quick Reply: Glove box handle removal