Sponsored by:

Durametric question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:28 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Durametric question

Apparently i need to source one of these in order to do a brake fluid flush given i have PASM and need something to actuate the valves. My question is, will the enthusiast model accomplish this or do i need the pro version? I've searched and looked with no definitive answer, thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

May want to wait for someone to double check as I have not personally owned one but everything I read says that the only real difference is the amount of Vins that can be linked. The pro is unlimited or something and the enthusiast model allows for use on 3 vins I believe..

But someone will chime in and confirm.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:55 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Yes, it does do the brake bleeding activations. Get the enthusiast version and you will be good to go. http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx
Old 11-16-2017, 11:07 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Like DBJoe said, it will actuate the PSM for your flush. However - it technically isn’t necessary unless you got air in the abs system. When I was doing my front brakes I had to remove both calipers for several days. After reinstalling I used a motiv bleeder and flushed the system (didn’t have a durametric at the time) and it worked perfectly. Granted there may be a little old fluid left so it may not have been a 100% flush.

Charlie
Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Thanks gents, enthusiast model it is.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:19 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jllphan
Thanks gents, enthusiast model it is.
Dont forget you’ll need windows to use it. For some this can be a headache.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

And the correct cap (Pelican Kit has this)
https://www.motiveproducts.com/pages/application-guide
Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Guess i need to do some more research, I only plan on pads and a flush for now so perhaps i can do that without the Durametric? Is it only if you pull calipers off (or otherwise introduce air into system) that opening the abs valves is necessary? I'm gonna repaint the callipers in the spring, so i may just rely upon my torque app for any scanning needed until then (realize i can't open valves with torque).

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Dont forget you’ll need windows to use it. For some this can be a headache.
The only headache for me is buying another laptop, but i need to do this anyway as the aftermarket amplifiers require windows based software to program -Pcpu, lol.

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
And the correct cap (Pelican Kit has this)
https://www.motiveproducts.com/pages/application-guide
Good lookin out, but i had planned on just (mostly) draining the reservoir and then bleeding at the caliper with my speed bleeder (not motive). I don't have to pressurize the reservoir do I?

Last edited by jllphan; 11-18-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:26 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't remember whether a simple flush will go through most of the system but if it's only 'til springtime an 80% job will do anyway?
Old 11-18-2017, 01:58 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

I removed both front calipers for a week - they dripped and drained the fluid reservoir completely. I used a Motive power bleeder and no durametric and it worked fine - 0 issues. So, if you're not evening removing calipers and just want to flush through fluid - then you definitely don't need it. It may not get every last drop of the old fluid, but especially if you're going to be doing this again in the spring - I wouldn't bother.

I'm not sure what speed bleeder you have - but if you've used it before and are happy with it, no reason to think it wouldn't work. The only caveat is that if it screws onto the reservoir you need the correct cap to thread to it. I bought a Motive with the porsche/euro cap on Amazon for $50 last year and it is the greatest thing ever. If you've ever bled brakes the old fashioned way (ie, someone sits in the car and presses the pedal while you loosen and tighten the bleeder vales) then you know it is a nightmare and generally a complete waste of time. I've installed a new slave cylinder + flush and then did a full brake system flush, alone - with the Motive and it all worked flawlessly the first time. No spongy brake pedal and having to go back and redo it due to bubbles.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

+1 on motive and not needing durametric. You will definitely want to pressurize the system to flush it.

Also, don’t put the fluid in the motive. Bleed the reservoir down part way, remove the motive, refill reservoir, pressure it back up. It’s a much cleaner way to do it.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:39 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I removed both front calipers for a week - they dripped and drained the fluid reservoir completely. I used a Motive power bleeder and no durametric and it worked fine - 0 issues. So, if you're not evening removing calipers and just want to flush through fluid - then you definitely don't need it. It may not get every last drop of the old fluid, but especially if you're going to be doing this again in the spring - I wouldn't bother.

I'm not sure what speed bleeder you have - but if you've used it before and are happy with it, no reason to think it wouldn't work. The only caveat is that if it screws onto the reservoir you need the correct cap to thread to it. I bought a Motive with the porsche/euro cap on Amazon for $50 last year and it is the greatest thing ever. If you've ever bled brakes the old fashioned way (ie, someone sits in the car and presses the pedal while you loosen and tighten the bleeder vales) then you know it is a nightmare and generally a complete waste of time. I've installed a new slave cylinder + flush and then did a full brake system flush, alone - with the Motive and it all worked flawlessly the first time. No spongy brake pedal and having to go back and redo it due to bubbles.
Great to know, thanks. Not sure of the brand off the top of my head, but my speed bleeder works reverse to the motive i guess, it sucks at the nipple as opposed to blowing on the reservoir (lol, y'all have fun w/ that one). Conceptually, this makes more sense to me, because i don't have to depressurize to refill the reservoir, i can just keep an eye on the level and refill as necessary. I"ve honestly never used my speed bleeder on a car, only my bikes several times w/o issue. I've always done the manual two person version w/ one pumping the brake pedal and the other manning the caliper nipple.

Quick Reply: Durametric question