996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Subaru motor in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

This type of swap is very interesting, even if the scooby motors aren't 'bulletproof' they are very available with lots of options on aftermarket fixes and upgrades. Parts are probably much cheaper than porsche tax.
Size should make fitting in a 996 less of a headache than the stock motor.

I would think a small charge cooler cooled by a 3rd radiator in the front bumper would make packaging easier.

EDIT: if you need a few drawings done for perhaps block to tranny adapter, I have solidworks and I don't mind chipping in an hour here or there to help out. PM if you want some help. I have done this before with a electric motor to VW transmission adapter plate.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
Why is it you think its too fragile for the track?
I've experienced a failure, and I've seen enough of them fail at the track to come to this conclusion.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:06 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
This type of swap is very interesting, even if the scooby motors aren't 'bulletproof' they are very available with lots of options on aftermarket fixes and upgrades. Parts are probably much cheaper than porsche tax.
Size should make fitting in a 996 less of a headache than the stock motor.

I would think a small charge cooler cooled by a 3rd radiator in the front bumper would make packaging easier.

EDIT: if you need a few drawings done for perhaps block to tranny adapter, I have solidworks and I don't mind chipping in an hour here or there to help out. PM if you want some help. I have done this before with a electric motor to VW transmission adapter plate.
Cool, thanks. Keeping my eyes open for a boxster or 996 roller for cheap.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I see cheap boxters all over the place...
Old 11-09-2017, 02:25 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

You can build a very powerful LS engine for way less than 4 or 5k depending on what you start with especially if you start with a 5.3. Plenty of magazine and internet articles on this. It's not the cost of the LS platform but the cost of good integration that's expensive. If I keep my n/a 944 it's probably going to end up LS powered. I think this would be a lot safer than tracking my 996. The cost of the swap is all in the integration and the hardest portion of the labor. Motor mounts, clutch parts etc. are all figured out and ready for purchase.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:12 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

I don't want to do a LS though, figured that was pretty clear.

Last edited by AWDGuy; 11-09-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I don't want to do a LS though, figured that was pretty clear.
maybe but you mentioned you'd need 4 to 5 for an LS engine, plus swap kit.

I'm considering a 5.3 for my 944. Swap kit. $500 for 5.3 and $800 for all new alt, p/s, and ac plus brackets that fits 944 chassis, and $1500 for intake manifold, ecu, tuner, throttle body and injectors. That's less than 3k leaving a lot to spend elsewhere, probably on a cam to wake up the truck motor. Pretty easy 325-350 at the wheels. Even more with head work.

I will probably get stupid and sell the 944 though and buy a 951 because.....

I'm also considering a 3rd gen RX7 too.

For sanity I probably should go the LS powered 944 for a driver / track toy.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Cool. You should start a thread or something.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:33 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Cool. You should start a thread or something.
I will start a thread if I start ordering swap parts. The shop in TX that makes kits is nearby. I should probably visit there first. By napkin math the all in driving total cost is in the 10k range including needed brake upgrades etc. I'm trying to decide if 10k plus lots of labor plus my 944 beats owning a 951 or other car. 10k plus my 944 buys a clean 951.

For track survivability, it's probably quite logical to go LS 944. One of the major hurdles is finding a late 951 oil cooled trans with a LSD for a good price. That's an expensive hurdle for something's that will probably need a rebuild.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I will start a thread if I start ordering swap parts. The shop in TX that makes kits is nearby. I should probably visit there first. By napkin math the all in driving total cost is in the 10k range including needed brake upgrades etc. I'm trying to decide if 10k plus lots of labor plus my 944 beats owning a 951 or other car. 10k plus my 944 buys a clean 951.

For track survivability, it's probably quite logical to go LS 944. One of the major hurdles is finding a late 951 oil cooled trans with a LSD for a good price. That's an expensive hurdle for something's that will probably need a rebuild.
aren't you the guy that wigged out over hoovie putting an ls1 in his 996? but you want to put one in a 944? Isn't that hypocritical?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
aren't you the guy that wigged out over hoovie putting an ls1 in his 996? but you want to put one in a 944? Isn't that hypocritical?
Yes. This is a technical forum and we demand moral consistency from all the contributors.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Thats your opinion. I did voice displeasure with the disgusting forum Hoovie lovefest. And as I pointed out Hoovie didn't do it. He paid someone else to do it. I have no problem with enthusiasts doing what they like with their cars, but Hoovie is click bait. Folks looking up to him as any sort of car guy may as well look up to Harvey Weinstein for their moral compass.

That was and always was and has been my issue with Toolvie. He's a tool masquerading as real car guy. What I don't get is willful destruction of good cars for lulz which he does as nauseum.

But your point of view is your reality.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Old 11-10-2017, 10:54 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Lol. Incredible
Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 PM
thebutterson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought this was a thread about subaru engine swaps?

AWDGuy - did you find the build threads for the boxster EJ swaps? I looked into this a little while back when I was bored. I think photobucket has screwed us yet again:
http://www.build-threads.com/build-t...rsche-boxster/
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2047734

He ended up putting an Audi V8 in there for a more flat torque curve that was better for his race class:

The subaru engine seems like it'd be a good way to go. It would keep the weight low, probably move the CG forward, and shouldn't require cutting the body. You can set them up to produce power just about any way you'd like it.
If someone were to design the swap components to make it a bolt on job with minimal fab and wiring it would be a good alternative to the LS swap. But if I had to take it all on myself I'd rather go for an 818C.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Thats your opinion. I did voice displeasure with the disgusting forum Hoovie lovefest. And as I pointed out Hoovie didn't do it. He paid someone else to do it. I have no problem with enthusiasts doing what they like with their cars, but Hoovie is click bait. Folks looking up to him as any sort of car guy may as well look up to Harvey Weinstein for their moral compass.

That was and always was and has been my issue with Toolvie. He's a tool masquerading as real car guy. What I don't get is willful destruction of good cars for lulz which he does as nauseum.

But your point of view is your reality.
That's worthy of Kellyanne Conway. Bravo!

Quick Reply: Subaru motor in a 996?