heater core leaking coolant = $200

Door latch = $400+

headlight switch = $200

coolant reservoir, hoses and coolant = $500

seat belt receptacle = $200

Joe Gibbs oil changes are NOT cheap.

CV boots= $80 × 2

​​​​​clutch, RMS, IMS = $2500

never mind the full $20k engine rebuild due to scored cylinders.

and I'm sure I am forgetting a lot....

it's depressing to go through the list.
Wow, I thought you had bought a Jeep until I got to the RMS and Scored Cylinders....

Funny Story about Jeeps, My brother has sold cars for 40 +years, his dealership owner also has a large jeep dealership that he worked the Finance/Business Mgr desk for 6 months until they found right person. One of the sales guys sold this customer a loaded C7 to a first time buyer. It turns out it was in the shop almost every week for 2 months. He tried invoking the States lemon law, but it wasn't same thing every time. The customer came in so angry one time to service dept to the point his rants spilled over to sales area and let new customers know his displeasure with purchase. He came into my brothers office and started yelling at him because, he had financed it for him. (like it was his fault he needed it financed ) Then it became combative, as my brother is pretty even tempered , but can make a person look like a dick if challenged. Customer turned into Volcano mode. It was first time he had ever been "threatened" all because they wouldn't take back the Jeep, because it was a POS. 2 days later guy drove it through front Window of dealership to "return it". Needless to say, he was wearing a new Tennessee orange jumpsuit for a while.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:42 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Yup. I have the service records. I included wear items in the total, like tires and brakes, as well as my IMSB upgrade when my clutch was changed. I looked at it more as a total expenditure as opposed to maintenance vs. repairs.
same here. I actually forgot the front brake job I just did in my list.

and that's just parts for the most part as I do the labor myself. So that $500/month could actually be closer to $800-$1000/month
Old 10-27-2017, 10:45 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dkraige
At $500/month or $6k per year, isn't there a pretty good argument for just doing ZERO maintenance and buying a new car every couple years?
I get winters off since I don't winter drive it.

lol.

ugh.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:47 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
Wow, I thought you had bought a Jeep until I got to the RMS and Scored Cylinders....
a jeep is reliable when compared to my car.

and these are pretty common issues. Pelican pretty much has a how-to for all of those issues
Old 10-27-2017, 12:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally I never include wear items in my "maintenance" numbers as not only can they vary wildly based on usage, but any car needs those things.

Interestingly our first oil change (from a Porsche specific Indy) for the 996 cost $75 and the first set of PS2s cost almost $4k. Now oil changes are about $300 and we pay $1200 for a set of PS2s. Kinda funny to think 18" wheels aren't a large and uncommon size any more...
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
Personally I never include wear items in my "maintenance" numbers as not only can they vary wildly based on usage, but any car needs those things.
it's not like I use a different way to calculate my running costs on each of my cars. It's consistent.

Cost me money? It gets recorded. Gas even gets recorded but on a different tab on the spreadsheet
Old 10-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
it's not like I use a different way to calculate my running costs on each of my cars. It's consistent.

Cost me money? It gets recorded. Gas even gets recorded but on a different tab on the spreadsheet
+1

It's easy to convince yourself that you're coming out ahead if you don't have a loan on your car. I paid cash for my 996 when I bought it, so maintenance and repairs were my only expenses associated with the car. I felt like I was ahead because I had no car payment. I don't record my spending for fuel, but pretty much everything else gets recorded.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
At $500/month or $6k per year, isn't there a pretty good argument for just doing ZERO maintenance and buying a new car every couple years?
Yes! That's why there's a 991 in my garage now.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AWDGuy

Sorry, I meant for discussions like the OP asked about how much it costs to maintain.

Yes I can quote you of the top of my head to within a few hundred of what we have spent on the 996 since new for everything but gas. It's not a pretty number and it's even worse when I include that original check I wrote for it

The key for me sleeping well at night is that I don't regret a single penny and even 16.5 years in it is still absolutely worth it!
Old 10-27-2017, 01:45 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rockpoint, are you high? Based on what you state you want to do with the car this 140,000 mile 996 is not a good choice.

"700+ mile drives across the rocky mountains with potential to be in major snowstorms."

You can only have one car and you are "deciding" between a 17 year old 140,000 mile sports car and a 2015 WRX? WRX all day long for the reliability, resale, 4wd, ground clearance. Most 996s are toys, second or third cars. Sure some are perfectly suitable for daily driving, but not this one, not based on how you will use it.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:56 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
The key for me sleeping well at night is that I don't regret a single penny and even 16.5 years in it is still absolutely worth it!
I have many regrets but what helps me sleep at night is knowing I don't have monthly payment for the actual car.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:00 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,905 Likes on 1,041 Posts

My Volvo is boring. It never breaks. Without a 996 in my life, what am I going to do with my spare time on the weekends?

On a different note... With all this new AWD/Jeep/Subaru talk, I guess I'm not such a d!ck (as Gnat mentioned) for suggesting it in the first place.

Back to lunch.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:23 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

A 3 year old WRX will keep up with a C4 996 on the highway.

If I was looking for something that will gobble up highway miles in any weather, that would be my pick.

The 996 isn't a Toyota Camry. On average, it will not give you 300,000 trouble free miles with just basic maintenance.

I have many friends who have blown up their STIs and EVOs. The difference is that a new STI motor won't set you back $20K.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:33 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

I blew up the HG on my WRX. This was after doubling it's horsepower with modifications.

The cost of a new HG and weekend in the garage, I was back at collecting doors in no time. You can buy an entire drive train for $6k
Old 10-27-2017, 02:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by b3freak
I'm not such a d!ck (as Gnat mentioned)
I said "bit of" and I stand by that

Quick Reply: help a noob - 996 carerra 4 purchase