Sponsored by:

2004 996 Preventive Maintenance Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:54 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2004 996 Preventive Maintenance Advice Please

I have an '04 996 40th Anniversary Edition that will turn 85K on the clock when I drive her next (see pic). I only put about 3,500 miles a year on the car. I'm thinking of taking the car to a local indy shop that I've used in the past, which specializes in Porsches of all vintages, to have a series of preventive maintenance items done. I'd like some advice from folks here as to things that they've had done on a preventive basis. I've already had that indy shop proactively replace the IMS with the LN ceramic bearing about 4 years and 15K miles ago. I had the RMS replaced at the same time. I was going to have the clutch replaced, too, but when they took the car apart they told me that the clutch had >50% life left so I left it alone. The alternator crapped out on me about three years ago and I had that replaced. Battery replaced earlier this year. Knock on wood, I just fill the car with gas, change the oil once a year, and drive.

I was thinking of having them do these things:

1. Clutch
2. Motor mounts
3. Replace my shocks, springs and sway bars using a set of all of those I bought from another 40th anniversary that was totaled due to cosmetic damage with only 20K miles

I've heard guys talk about replacing the water pump and AOS.

What recommendations do you all have? I'd like to keep the car stock but I've heard good things about short shift kits. Anything else?

Thanks.

Ted

(For you 40th owners I'm going to post this in our thread, too)
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

+ 1 on the shift upgrade
I've been using the 997/GT3 Shift Console upgrade for 3 years now
highly recommended

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997SCU.html

treat yourself to a weighted shifter too, I went with Function First
they're adjustable to a point, the height, which plays into the distance
pretty sure Rennline has them too
makes everything feel more modern

Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

For sure I'd replace your water pump at 85k miles. Mine was recently replaced at 74k miles and I'm glad I did.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:45 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Suggested ideas for Kms
  • Spark plugs
  • Coils
  • LN magnetic drain plug
  • LN Spin on filter adaptor
  • Low temp thermostat
  • water pump
  • AOS

If they are dropping the engine for any reason, I"d also consider having them replace all the little vacuum lines and fittings (like coolant fitting behind alternator) as these seem to get brittle over time and fail. Easy and cheap to change with engine out....PIA with engine in. Lots of threads about failures of these things it seems.

If you are doing suspension, don't forget about bushings.

I did the "Ben's" shifter kit. Google it, for lots of info. Replaces all bushings with proper bearings. Very nice addition, and much cheaper than many of the alternative kits. Easy DIY.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:53 PM
jb1007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why suspension? is it shot?
I agree with all the above. Just had my 03 4S plugs done and coil packs. Upgrade the shifter to the 997. If your happy with current one , leave it. Motor mounts shot? Your indy should be able to help you with the must do's. Remember the LN bearing is 75k or 6yr if you got the single row pro. Might want hold on clutch til IMS needs it again.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:05 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Suggested ideas for Kms
  • Spark plugs
  • Coils
  • LN magnetic drain plug
  • LN Spin on filter adaptor
  • Low temp thermostat
  • water pump
  • AOS

If they are dropping the engine for any reason, I"d also consider having them replace all the little vacuum lines and fittings (like coolant fitting behind alternator) as these seem to get brittle over time and fail. Easy and cheap to change with engine out....PIA with engine in. Lots of threads about failures of these things it seems.

If you are doing suspension, don't forget about bushings.

I did the "Ben's" shifter kit. Google it, for lots of info. Replaces all bushings with proper bearings. Very nice addition, and much cheaper than many of the alternative kits. Easy DIY.
This is a nice list. The only things I would add to it is trans fluid, brake fluid, belt, motor mounts, and remove & clean rads. If you do get the trans out, go ahead with the LN IMS bearing.

BTW, there is a 90k mile service guide in your owners manual.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about chain tensioners and chain guides?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:03 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
This is a nice list. The only things I would add to it is trans fluid, brake fluid, belt, motor mounts, and remove & clean rads. If you do get the trans out, go ahead with the LN IMS bearing.

BTW, there is a 90k mile service guide in your owners manual.
Good catch doc! I took fluids for granted. Cleaning rads and roof drains is another important one. Roof drains clog with debris and cause water to get into cabin damaging vital electronics.

Guides and tensioners are a bit more invasive, but would be nice if going all the way. Then again, so would Nickies

Quick Reply: 2004 996 Preventive Maintenance Advice Please