Sponsored by:

Teaching Wife to Drive Standard

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
NiveK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teaching Wife to Drive Standard

i figure it really doesn't take that much to teach someone to drive standard, but i figure it takes a while to teach them how to drive well, sayy around a track or under durress driving a standard, so i was going to buy an old 914 and let her tear that up for a while before i turn her loose in a new more powerful car
Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 PM
ProV1
Advanced

here's some advice a very wise man gave me: nevar teach your so/gf how to drive stick or play golf yourself if u wanna preserve the relatoinship
Old 12-08-2003, 03:12 PM
NiveK
Racer

well that's pretty good advice, she does know the basics of it, and i was going to sign her up for driving courses as well, i personally wasn't going to do it , i'd hate to get slapped into next week for the first time i blurt out "what the he|| are you doing?!!!!"
Old 12-08-2003, 03:17 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I have taught my wife to drive stick 3 times...

And she's forgotten how to drive stick 3 times!!! LOL

The last time, we took out my old Sentra SE-R (woo hoo) and smoked up the clutch a bit! Some lucky chap must have my ride now through the Salvation Army.

Thank you Kelley Blue Book write off...
Old 12-08-2003, 03:43 PM
ProV1
Advanced

yep, as long as a girl knows how to "ride" a stick it's all good!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:10 PM
dp35
Pro

One good idea, although maybe a bit expensive and maybe inpracticle, is to get her a car with SMG, and have her drive that first. That way, she can learn how to change gears without learning the clutch at the same time. But it would have to be a true SMG, like the one's in the M3's, Ferrari's, and Toyota MR2's, so she can't put it in "drive".

I went with my gf (who can't drive manual) to test drive a Toyota MR2 with SMG, and she picked it up pretty quick. I think if she drove that every day for a while, then she'd be perfectly prepared to learn the manual.

Then there's always the opposite theory. Get a clunker with a manual tranny, teach her the very basics, then send her off to San Francisco. By the end of the day, she'll either have it dialed or she'll stop bugging you about it.

My gf thinks she's gonna learn to drive manual in my P-car. Don't worry fellas, ain't gonna happen - P-car is safe. I'm thinking this is a great reason to NEVER own a sports car with anything BUT a manual trans. But then again, I'm just an insensitive, self centered jerk, especially with my car...
Old 12-08-2003, 05:59 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"QUOTE"

My gf thinks she's gonna learn to drive manual in my P-car. Don't worry fellas, ain't gonna happen - P-car is safe. I'm thinking this is a great reason to NEVER own a sports car with anything BUT a manual trans. But then again, I'm just an insensitive, self centered jerk, especially with my car...

NO your not selfish or insensitive, your thinking about the well being of your p-car............................I feel the same way, beside if she throws me out there are a lot of women who would like to go for a ....ahum ...a ride in a Porsche..

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey if she can master the shift pattern of a 914 then she can drive anything! If you really want to put her to the test get a tail-shifter! Anyways, kudos to you for letting her share the car. I know lots of guys who won't let their ladies drive their cars. I say "LET THEM DRIVE IT!" Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 12-08-2003, 07:34 PM
CStricker
3rd Gear

Originally posted by dp35
Then there's always the opposite theory. Get a clunker with a manual tranny, teach her the very basics, then send her off to San Francisco. By the end of the day, she'll either have it dialed or she'll stop bugging you about it.
That is so funny, because it's so true! Cheers!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

A 914 to learn on? oh my! You want to teach your girl to drive stick, take some advice from a lady

My b/f's dad gave me a very long lesson in his brother's Ford Ranger (late model, in good shape). In hindshight, that thing shifted like crap and had no useful powerband, and it was a pain to learn on. After a nausiating day puttering around the meighborhood, I had the idea, but couldn't really drive it for ****. Baaad car to learn on.

A bit later - as I was getting ready to buy my 5-speed 928 - a very nice woman from a local Porsche shop gave my a lesson on her co-worker's Accord. Its a very easy car to drive stick, making it a great starter. I was able to drive it well enough to actually go somewhere, learn and practise. That lesson was shorter, and much more productive.

I've been using my 5-speed as a daily driver for over a year now, and am quite comfortable w/ it. People complain that early 928s have long, sloppy throws, and usually suffer badly worn syncros. My b/f just bought a tail shift 914. I haven't really driven it much yet, but its "funkier" to shift than my 928, which is in need of a tranny rebuild (PO was very hard on it, too).

The point is, a 914 is not a good car to learn on. Start her on something that will be easy to drive at first, so she won't get as frustrated when learning the basics. With regular practise, it probably won't take long. Once she's competent enough to get around w/ a stick, she'll be ready for an older P-car to hone her skills on.

BTW, its a shame so many of you won't share your sports cars w/ your SO. I think its worth the toasted clutch to get your love interested in something you're passionate about. You'll be enjoying it together long after the clutch would have lasted with gentle use.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:19 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

For only a little more than the second car you're contemplating to expand your wife's skill set, you could get a girlfriend who already knows how. AS
Old 12-08-2003, 10:31 PM
smk002
Instructor

LOL Alexander
Old 12-09-2003, 07:56 AM
umn
Instructor

Originally posted by Jessa

a very nice woman from a local Porsche shop gave my a lesson on her co-worker's Accord.
I bet her co-worker was pleased: "Can I have your car keys for a bit of clutch smoking and tranny breaking?" "Oh sure, go ahead ..."

Uwe
Old 12-09-2003, 12:08 PM
01-996
Intermediate

My method of madness. I Took my wife in the parking lot and sat her in the car. I told her under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was she to press the gas pedal. The only thing she was allowed to do was let out the clutch. After about 10 times she was driving stick with ZERO DAMAGE to my car. Try it but dont let her touch the gas pedal until she FULLY understand how to drive a stick.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:21 AM
chrisalberts
Intermediate

ding, ding, ding! We have a winner with 01-996!

This is exactly the way to go. Teach clutch control at low speeds in a parking lot, then progress to more normal speed driving in the lot, then see if you can find a lot with inclines to do hill starts. Don't do this in a single session. The first session should be clutch without gas. Then move on over 3 more sessions.

Then go on the road (quiet time of day). No risk of clutch damage with this method.

C.

Quick Reply: Teaching Wife to Drive Standard