Sponsored by:

AOS - Disconnect the cooling circuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 AM
moburki
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

drill out the plastic to fit male to male nipple

Last edited by moburki; 09-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobra935o
...autobacs should have everything you need, lol.
Not so sure about AutoBacs. I wanted some Loctite gasket sealant such as 5900/5920, but figured they would have some Permatex UltraBlack or Copper. Nope. Not a thing. AutoBacs is for pimping out your ride.😜
Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Word on the interweb google machine is that a 3/8" brass coupler does the job too. I'll find out tomorrow.
The 3/8 brass coupler fit. I drilled out the plastic piece to hold it, but snapped it upon installation. So, I made a standoff out of thin stainless steel. It should do the job.

If you don't want to fabricate, the prefab one for $40-ish is a decent deal.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cds72911
The 3/8 brass coupler fit. I drilled out the plastic piece to hold it, but snapped it upon installation. So, I made a standoff out of thin stainless steel. It should do the job.

If you don't want to fabricate, the prefab one for $40-ish is a decent deal.
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm using a woodworking joint bracket and air hose type connectors. This will allow me to use nipples filled with epoxy/silicone at the top to remove the AOS from the cooling system. Then when I replace the AOS I just have to buy a couple more nipples at $1.50@ and connect the hoses.

As for the pre-fab, it looks very cool, but since I am not tricking out my engine bay, it is super overkill.

(I'll post some pics later. For some reason I can't post pics from my iPad.)
Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

The bracket seemed to be in very good shaped. I was able to pry off the hose without any damage. So rather than cut the crimped on hose, I left it in place. After taking a 10cm section of hose and putting some silicone inside, I put a section of 8mm dowel in, pushing the silicone ahead to make a solid plug, and clamped it. Dowel wasn't my initial plan, but it will work until I either replace the AOS or decide that the heating effect of the coolant isn't needed in my climate. The same sort of plug was used on the other hose to the AOS. I then blew through one of the hoses to both clear the lines and ensure that I had the right two hoses removed.

Took it out for a drive and the leak is gone. Almost certainly one of the coolant lines has a leak.

NOTE: I found some 9mm stainless steel stock so I cut a couple of small pieces, pulled out those makeshift dowels and plugged it up right. It is SO difficult to find any DIY automotive parts here in Japan. You can change your oil, some filters or buy a battery, but past that everything sees to be about just pimping your ride with fur, air freshners and blue LEDs.

Last edited by Zerpersande; 09-18-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Adding a change I made to the repair and keeping it all in one place.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:45 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you got it sorted for now.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Glad you got it sorted for now.
Thanks. Now I can at least drive it to the golf course on Fridays. The weather here in the Kansai area of Japan is still rather warm to hot. Yesterday it was 27C, so I'm not worried about condensation.

I'm getting ready to tackle the replacement job next. The mechanic I was talking to is out. He did my car inspection and the wheel bolts came back tightened to 160~180 N-M, 35~50% over spec. If the guy can't work a torque wrench, I don't want him working on my engine.

Quick Reply: AOS - Disconnect the cooling circuit