Sponsored by:

Looking at first Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at first Porsche!

Much appreciate any help given...I've been a Porsche fanatic since very young, and have been saving up for either a 996tt or 997.2, but have my eyes on a 996, thinking I just can't wait any longer to be driving my 911-dream!
So, these are the particulars of this offering. Would love any feedback...would anyone have any hesitation to buy with 111K miles? I figure I may drive it a couple years then sell or trade in for higher-end 911. Do Porsche dealers give decent trade-in value for modified high-mileage 911's like that? Any thoughts on the mods?
Being a noob to the forum, I'm not sure what the etiquette is here for posting, but I'll just post a link to the offering...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...299899286.html

Thanks very much!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,555 Likes on 973 Posts

A dealer will not give you a decent trade in for a car like that, in all likelihood. I would expect a dealer to offer you $10K or less for that car as it is today, and less in a few years.

Don't worry about trade in values. Buy the car you want and enjoy it.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

$25k for an '02 Carrera with 111k is quite high, so you have to decide if the modifications are worth the $6,000-7,000 premium the seller is placing on them. If the seller is able to back up all of the work with receipts, it could be an enticing deal if you were already planning on doing a lot of the same mods yourself.

I agree with Dennis - buy the car you want. If you really want a 997 and you have $25k already, then you could potentially be shopping for a 997.2 by next year's end if you can stick to a budget and save another 25. If you honestly, truly, sincerely like the 996 and can see yourself owning one, keep your eyes on the market for a while. Winter is a boon season for used sports cars. Whatever you do, don't rush yourself into a car. Diligence pays off in the long run with 16-20 year old sports cars.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

He's asking a lot, but looks like a nice car. Around 20k would be a good deal, for buyer and seller. PPI of course.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

The old rule of thumb that it doesn't matter what you put into it, but what you can get out of it is very true in this case. The owner has put a butt-load of money in OEM upgrades (e.g. GT3 aero bumper) and preventive maintenance (e.g. IMS solution) on the engine. But that still doesn't change the fact that it's still a 2002 Carrera with 110K miles on the car. Is it worth $25K? If all the maintenance items can be verified, then "yes". But compared to others on the market at the same year and miles..."No". I've seen many mk2 coupes for well under the $20K mark, but they haven't gone through this much service and upgrades.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 09-11-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:58 PM
zerogt86
Intermediate

If it comes with maintenance records and drives well, i don't think that price is out of the question.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:18 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To answer your question, no. Here's the deal, there is nothing cheap about owning any Porsche 911 of any generation. If you think you are going to get in and out of Porsche 911s (generally speaking) fairly cheaply, you are wrong. Could it happen, absolutely. Are the odds in your favor, no.

The Porsche 996 is probably the best used sports car value on planet earth right now. (pretending corvettes don't exist and new mustangs aren't cool enough). Whatever car you decide to purchase make sure a Porsche expert does the PPI, not just "some guy who knows a lot about cars." Expert means they work on Porsches five days a week almost exclusively and have been doing that for at least 10 years.

The car you are looking at is probably a good deal at $22k max and that is ONLY if there are receipts for all the engine work. No receipts? Then as far as I'm concerned it never happened.

There is a 1999 for $13k in the classified ad right now. If it checks out that would be a good deal for a drive and dump.

Last edited by ejdoherty911; 09-12-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:19 PM
bfong00
Intermediate

That's not terrible for the prices in the bay area. It is modified pretty heavily so you should check if any of the oem parts are included which will make your life a lot easier if you were ever to sell. Another thing to consider since you're probably in california, the Innotech Catless X-Pipe will not pass smog when the time comes for you to do it. Ditto what everyone says about records for all the work and make sure to get a ppi.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Thanks so much, everyone! I may go have a look at it this weekend; I'm about 3 hours from him. I'm in communication to see how good records are. It's a HUGE help to have additional eyes and minds, especially such knowledgable ones!
Will keep you all posted...

Quick Reply: Looking at first Porsche!