Sponsored by:

AOS Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AOS Coolant Leak

My 2004 Carrera coupe has developed a leak. It started after I flushed my cooling system. Rather sure it is around the AOS/associated lines. I've read various opinions about the difficulty of removing the AOS. But what I am interested in doing is just replacing those lines. Any experience or opinions on doing this? Specifically, is it even possible? Especially if this can be done without removing the intake manifold?

Also I am only finding the upper oil separator coolant hose. What about the second one?
Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry but it's the same procedures as replacing the aos. The two coolant lines are at the very top of the aos. You may as well remove the aos.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Sorry but it's the same procedures...The two coolant lines are at the very top of the aos.

Because I live in Japan, I'm anticipsting that ordering the parts online is going to save me quite a bit of money. And the AOS is showing no signs of a problem. Given that the replacement AOS units seem to not fit perfectly, I don't want to order one, have it be incorrect, and thus have more problems to deal with. So my plan was to just replace the coolant hoses without removing the AOS. From some posts this would probably require loosening the bolts n the AOS.

My other option is to pay this one shop to do the work, and pull the engine. And while it was out, replace the IMS, AOS, RMS, and oil cooler seals. But the guy wants $1500 just to pull the engine. I just sent him a fax saying I would pay the $1500 but that would have to include installing the parts, all of which I would provide.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:50 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerpersande

Because I live in Japan, I'm anticipsting that ordering the parts online is going to save me quite a bit of money. And the AOS is showing no signs of a problem. Given that the replacement AOS units seem to not fit perfectly, I don't want to order one, have it be incorrect, and thus have more problems to deal with. So my plan was to just replace the coolant hoses without removing the AOS. From some posts this would probably require loosening the bolts n the AOS.

My other option is to pay this one shop to do the work, and pull the engine. And while it was out, replace the IMS, AOS, RMS, and oil cooler seals. But the guy wants $1500 just to pull the engine. I just sent him a fax saying I would pay the $1500 but that would have to include installing the parts, all of which I would provide.
Shop labor to replace clutch, RMS, AOS and IMS bearing should be about 14 hours.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Shop labor to replace clutch, RMS, AOS and IMS bearing should be about 14 hours.
No clutch, but a Tip. Also asking him to replace the Tip filter and fluid while it is out. Once again, supplying the parts. Any big change in the time estimate there? I'm not trying to low-ball him. And although labor costs outside of Japan can be said to have limited relevance, the required time stays the same. I'll get his hourly rate before approaching it this way.

I'd do it all myself, but no space. Thought about renting an enclosed parking space for a month or so. Big 'if' as to whether anyone would do that. Slowly build blocks under the wheels, then find an engine jack. But that isn't 'normal' here and so it would not be eady to get the space.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

And Ahsai and Jhbrennan....thanks for the input!!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this DYI morphed into one costly job
Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 AM
cobra935o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you military, or work on a base? The auto hobby shop has all the room you would need to do this job. $1500 for a lot of work that is probably not required is a lot. I dont know where you heard that new AOS dont fit or whatever, but I did mine a few years back in my driveway, and while its tough to get out and back in again, and I had no issues with fitment. I had to change mine due to a coolant leak issue as well. On the downside, the rest of the lines that fit into it, are also made of the brittle plastic that cracks very easily, so I would order the AOS, and any of the associated lines that go into it, and just replace it all in one shot, and pay for the shipping all at once instead of making one order, breaking parts, and having to make another order.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by extanker
this DYI morphed into one costly job
Well, the AOS is something I could do myself. The leak just happened to have started right before inspection time, so I was talking to the mechanic about the repair. He wanted to pull the engine to di the AOS, so that's where the $1500 came in. I had been considering the IMS since I bought the car, and already have the Tip filter/ATF fluid. So since he was talking about pulling the engine, I thought I might pay him just do it all at once.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cobra935o
-- Are you military, or work on a base?
-- $1500 for a lot of work that is probably not required is a lot.
-- I dont know where you heard that new AOS dont fit or whatever
-- the rest of the lines that fit into it, are also made of the brittle plastic that cracks very easily, so I would order the AOS, and any of the associated lines that go into it, and just replace it all in one shot,
- Nope, not in the military, so...
- The IMS is what got the ball rolling with all the work. Once that gets put on the table, other stuff should be done while the engine is out.
- Read about fitment here, RennTech or Pelican. Something about a U-shaped bracket blocking a bolt on the air intake.
- The three lines for the AOS will cost me about $115. The 'upper' coolant line is only about $12, but I can't find the other coolant line.

Maybe the way to go is to just buy all 5 hoses, the AOS, do it myself and table the other work. I did pull my oil sump pan to inspect for metal prior to doing the IMS bearing. Perfectly clean with no debris, so that's good.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:45 AM
cobra935o
Instructor

I unfortunately bought into the IMS hype as well, changed out a perfectly good and 100% perfect IMS bearing for no reason. I did my clutch, IMS, RMS, all myself in my garage for about 1700 bucks including the tools, would have been 5000-8000 depending on where I took it from the quotes I got.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cobra935o
-- I unfortunately bought into the IMS hype as well,
-- I did my clutch, IMS, RMS, all myself in my garage for about 1700 bucks including the tools, would have been 5000-8000 depending on where I took it from the quotes I got.
Yep, I'm hesitant too. Not a sign of a problem at about 85,000 km. Found one extremely small sliver/spec of metal deep inside the oil filter when I tore the filter apart last time. So about 8% fail. How lucky do I feel?

Was talking with one provider of the IMS that charges about $3K to change the IMS, including the AOS and RMS. If I can get it all done for $3K, I may do it. Then again, the responses I have received here, maybe just fix what is broken.

Regardless, this is helping. BUT....

There are two coolant hoses on the AOS. Part #'s????
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Here are all the hoses and AOS with part numbers http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=104-10
Old 09-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Here are all the hoses and AOS with part numbers http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=104-10
Thanks very much. Unless the mechanic is really willing to work with me, I think that I am going to buy all new hoses and an AOS and solve the problem that actually exists right now.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:43 PM
cobra935o
Instructor

Auto Atlanta is a few miles up the road from me. I lived in Okinawa for 5 years, but I was in the Air Force.

Quick Reply: AOS Coolant Leak