Sponsored by:

AOS Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobra935o
Auto Atlanta is a few miles up the road from me. I lived in Okinawa for 5 years, but I was in the Air Force.
No problem with the parts? I'll contact them about shipping costs and identifying 3rd party vs genuine Porsche parts. A big plus is that their site shows part numbers/diagrams.

(I've been to Okinawa a few times. The first ones were near the airport. Went to Ishigaki island the last time and enjoyed that much better.)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Use only genuine parts, period. Also keep in mind even genuine parts may fail out of the box. There are no useful tests to verify it before install for DIYers. In that regard, just fixing the leak may not sound that bad but I dunno.
​​
A tip will be very tight. I've heard people did it with engine lowered but usually with engine dropped. All these sounds discouraging but they're factual.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ahsai
-- Use only genuine parts, period.
​​-- A tip will be very tight. I've heard people did it with engine lowered.....
-- All these sounds discouraging but they're factual.
The replacement Tip pan gasket I have isn't Porsche but the supplier I used said they had sold lots of these and never had complaints. But I intend to use genuine as a rule. Bought a new coolant cap, the 04, and although the Japanese Seller SAID genuine in the ad, showed the genuine part and I made a note that only genuine was acceptable, Jo-Ya of www.jo-ya.com, said I pay postage both ways. You see.

The tightness worries me but if others have done it, well, I have the time. But this may mean I need to look at pulling the Tip. Not only should this make it a simplier process, but it gives access to the IMS and RMS.

Discouraging is okay, if factual. I don't want to get all the way to that AOS, have the intake pulled and expect to have it work only to find that, nope, the Tip says NO ACCESS!

Does anyone have any links to specifics on this Tip/AOS hitch?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:36 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

IF the only problem is a leak in the coolant hoses suggest you investigate/ask about simply disconnecting both coolant hoses from the AOS , cut out the leak, splice together 8mm barb connector.? . If it does not get way below freezing in your area, maybe you don't need the coolant warming the AOS? Just cap off the coolant hose connections on the AOS.
UNB 5-4 ??
http://fittingsandadapters.com/hosebarbunion.html
Originally Posted by Zerpersande
My 2004 Carrera coupe has developed a leak. It started after I flushed my cooling system. Rather sure it is around the AOS/associated lines. I've read various opinions about the difficulty of removing the AOS. But what I am interested in doing is just replacing those lines. Any experience or opinions on doing this? Specifically, is it even possible? Especially if this can be done without removing the intake manifold?

Also I am only finding the upper oil separator coolant hose. What about the second one?

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 09-11-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
[B]
-- IF the only problem is a leak in the coolant hoses
-- If it does not get way below freezing in your area
There are no signs that the AOS is problematic. No excessive vaccum, no smoking. No reason to replace the AOS other than the fact that if I go in that far, then do it for preventive maintenance.

Below freezing? It barely reaches that here. I'll get a thin skim of ice on the dog's water during January/February. In 20 years the snow falls ladt a day or so, 5" was the most. I wouldn't really be afraid of damage if there was only pure water in the cooling system.

SO... BIG QUESTION!!!!

Can these hoses be easily accessed at their respective locations AWAY FROM the AOS? If so, it would be an easy fix, allowing me to take my time in doing the repair properly.

(Thanks very much for this insight. Very, very helpful.)

Quick Reply: AOS Coolant Leak