Sponsored by:

suggestions for modifications for trackday car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:12 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
I've got a guard in my car , great but expensive . Bang for the buck a wave track is a much better option than tracking a car with a stock open diff . You get off the line and out of corners much faster , especially with the wavetracs preloading , something a quaif diff and similar doesn't have .
A torque sensing diff isn't supposed to help on braking , it's not designed to, to expect this reflects a lack of understanding how the technology works.

is a guard plated diff better ? Yes
but to say a wavetrac is useless (compared with an open diff ) is simply not true .
I've been tracking cars with various types of locked diffs for more than 30 years, and I finally understand what you are talking about... what the diffs actually "feel" like!
The current car I race (non-porsche) has a torsen. It has 2 noticeable bad habits. The first was a "jerky" application of power when coming out of a tight corner... it was as if the clutch was slipping. I changed the clutch, but no change. It was recommended that I increase the rear spring rate so I could soften the rear bar... didn't understand the logic until now, (apparently the insider rear must have been coming unloaded and allowed the diff to unlock)... I changed the springs/bar and it did the trick.

The 2nd evil is now also understood; loose in the rear under hard braking. Apparently, as you pointed out, the Torsen doesn't work in reverse, so when I'm under threashold braking while I'm downshifting; one tire gets the force of braking and the other gets the braking force + downshifting force... and locks up.

Kind of long winded... but thank you. Old dogs can learn new tricks.

Quick Reply: suggestions for modifications for trackday car