Sponsored by:

In-Dash Garage Door Opener DIY Install Vid

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 AM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb In-Dash Garage Door Opener DIY Install Vid

Several other projects on my list for my new 40AE that take priority (engine mounts, Gundo, B&M SS, fix a few rattles, etc.), but I thought this was interesting and very clean.

Last edited by Chicago6MT; 08-18-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

First one I have seen showing how to wire two garage doors to the switch. Very cool as I have two doors and have not done this mod yet b/c I wanted to be able to open both. Guess I should get a targa switch!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 AM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Clever and very well done...
Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome and cool hack with a nice video.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

I enjoy watching Franny's videos. She does a good job. Their videos are entertaining and informative.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

If you buy a used home link from most any car, eBay, you can do that hack with it and hook it to the power in the car so no battery replacement in the future.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Thanks for posting and very timely. I bought a switch a couple years ago and was just getting ready to put it in. This video is great -- she covers every detail perfectly and I like how she actually struggles with taking off the horseshoe. It drives me a bit nuts when videos make panel removal look trivially easy because everything has been loosened.

Originally Posted by fpb111
If you buy a used home link from most any car, eBay, you can do that hack with it and hook it to the power in the car so no battery replacement in the future.
This seems like a good idea also. Something like this would seem to work (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAN-ROLLING-...BZloJ1&vxp=mtr), though I don't know if it will fit behind the dash or if it's easy to tap into a power line behind the dash (I don't like to cut wires).
Old 08-18-2017, 09:50 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my list!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:29 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterp
Thanks for posting and very timely. I bought a switch a couple years ago and was just getting ready to put it in. This video is great -- she covers every detail perfectly and I like how she actually struggles with taking off the horseshoe. It drives me a bit nuts when videos make panel removal look trivially easy because everything has been loosened.

This seems like a good idea also. Something like this would seem to work (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAN-ROLLING-...BZloJ1&vxp=mtr), though I don't know if it will fit behind the dash or if it's easy to tap into a power line behind the dash (I don't like to cut wires).
Those work fine I have used them on two of my 996s.
They are HomeLink units, google "programming" it is easy.
Drop it in behind the cubby(s) and hook it to the phone prep plug, plenty of room just run long enough wires, 8 - 10"? You can use single bullet connectors to plug into the female sockets on the phone plug no cutting/splicing required.
Phone prep=
brown - ground, yellow/black - telephone mute, green/black - switched 12v, red/green - un-switched 12v
Old 08-19-2017, 12:20 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp

If you REALLY don't want to have to cut anything, this is the plug that attaches to the telephone connector jack in the lower area of the center stack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-AUX-...4/252389052709

I used one of these for my auto dim mirror ... it provides ground, 12v switched, and 12v constant. Becker Autosound used to have their own Web store ... dunno if they still do.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:40 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fpb111
Those work fine I have used them on two of my 996s.
They are HomeLink units, google "programming" it is easy.
Drop it in behind the cubby(s) and hook it to the phone prep plug, plenty of room just run long enough wires, 8 - 10"? You can use single bullet connectors to plug into the female sockets on the phone plug no cutting/splicing required.
Phone prep=
brown - ground, yellow/black - telephone mute, green/black - switched 12v, red/green - un-switched 12v
Awesome info -- thanks for sharing!
Old 08-19-2017, 04:24 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

I was originally planning to use a "constant" power source, but I think I might actually end up using the "switched" terminal to power the HomeLink, which would be more like OEM and would be a little more secure (nobody could open the garage door without a key). It would also be less of a drain on the battery when the car is sitting, but I would guess that is a very trivial load.

Originally Posted by KoB
If you REALLY don't want to have to cut anything, this is the plug that attaches to the telephone connector jack in the lower area of the center stack:

I used one of these for my auto dim mirror ... it provides ground, 12v switched, and 12v constant. Becker Autosound used to have their own Web store ... dunno if they still do.
Thanks for the additional info. I will definitely use the phone connector, I suspect I can use individual bullet terminals as suggested in the other post, but I'll keep this connector in mind.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB

Does the 996 have a telephone connector jack? I figured that a 997 does but wasn't sure about the 996.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:08 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Does the 996 have a telephone connector jack? I figured that a 997 does but wasn't sure about the 996.
Yup. It's a 4-pin Molex-type connector behind the batwing at the bottom of the enter stack.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:57 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
Yup. It's a 4-pin Molex-type connector behind the batwing at the bottom of the enter stack.
Thanks - now I know what to look for.

Quick Reply: In-Dash Garage Door Opener DIY Install Vid