Sponsored by:

I smell a little oil burning after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I smell a little oil burning after oil change

I did a DIY oil change last week. It was an easy, even pleasant experience.

However, it ended up taking 10 quarts instead of the 9 specified to fill it to the full line on the dipstick.

Since then, I smell a little oil burning when I'm driving; especially at a stoplight with the top down. No leaks or drips noted. The exhaust tips are not black.

I'm a little worried about over filling and overwhelming the oil separators... I've heard that these things don't work particularly well.

So, do you fill till full on the dipstick, or fill to 9 qts total?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred

However, it ended up taking 10 quarts instead of the 9 specified to fill it to the full line on the dipstick.

Since then, I smell a little oil burning when I'm driving; especially at a stoplight with the top down. No leaks or drips noted. The exhaust tips are not black.

I'm a little worried about over filling and overwhelming the oil separators... I've heard that these things don't work particularly well.

Don't know the answer but did my first oil change a several weeks ago and I too used 10 qts of oil to fill. I used my dipstick for measurement and my dash reading was 1 bar down from full (same reading I had before change). Do not have any oil burning smell, also switched from Mobil 1 0-40 to DT40 5-40w. Great feeling to cut open oil filter and find nothing,, my Indy says he always cuts filter open but this was the first time I had a look at it.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Any that might have spilled while you were filling it can end up dripping on the exhaust.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred

Capacity per 996 owner's manual is 8.7 liters with filter so not sure why you added 10 quarts. I usually add just 8 liters, drive for a short period, let the car sit and then re-check level both electronically and with the dipstick. After the short drive the 8 liters showed one bar low on the electronic gauge so I topped off with about 300 ml after which gauge shows full.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You are safe if your dip stick shows to line and your electronic shows (when warm) half or higher but not full. If you think you have overfilled it then take out the screw on filter and empty it right there. Easy job.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Watch our for liters vs quarts! Not the same thing. My stock engine M96/01 oil change takes 10 quarts plus a little bit more probably because I have the LN oil filter adapter. If you are not beyond the full mark on the dipstick you are okay. Check your oil filler pipe carefully for cracks.

Quick Reply: I smell a little oil burning after oil change