Considering a '03 4S with 100k - Help? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

996 Forum

Considering a '03 4S with 100k - Help?

Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM
  #1
sixfiveoh
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Post Considering a '03 4S with 100k - Help?

Looking at a car with 100k for $25k - which is about as high as I'd like to extend my budget. It will be my only vehicle but I take public transit to and from work so mainly looking for a fun weekend car.

According to the owner, IMS/RMS is replaced, recent new clutch, new suspension, new tires. I will have a PPI done before purchase, but is there anything I should be aware of or look out for with a car with this mileage? How's the price? I've seen a few 4S for around $25k but it is rare, and even fewer are local.

Any advice appreciated!
sixfiveoh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM
  #2
charlieaf92
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
charlieaf92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 385
Default

A lot of going to come down to the condition of the car. I'm sure some people will tell you that 25k is on the high side, but it isn't necessarily true. I paid slightly less for mine with just under 100k miles on it, and then pretty much immediately spent $8k on IMS Solution, clutch, flywheel, front brakes, rear tires, engine mounts and some other goodies. Having all that done right out of the gate is nice and lets you jump in and drive.

Parts and maintenance can add up super quick - so I'd pay more attention to that vs. the mileage.

Don't be afraid to offer less - but in my opinion it isn't a bad deal. Just comes down to the condition.

Oh and good luck with your shopping and purchase! They're awesome cars!
charlieaf92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 PM
  #3
GTsilber
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 176
Default

I'm going to be listing my car soon, 2002 C4S with 107k miles for $26k. It might seem high but I literally had all the preventative maintenance done over the past year, changed oil twice and only put 1500 miles on the car. There are absolutely zero issues with it mechanically, a few cosmetic items but the body is straight with a clean title and runs like a top. I have receipts for every part I bought and a spreadsheet documenting every part changed with cost and mileage.

PM if your interested, but I'd say 25k is inline with a well maintained C4S. I'm only selling because I have a newborn and bought a 2018 VW Atlas, I don't get to enjoy the 996 at all anymore
GTsilber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:56 PM
  #4
Jeremy Hazeltine
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jeremy Hazeltine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tampa, florida
Posts: 166
Default

I am tossing back and forth on selling mine. All updates have been done, but it just rolled 120k, and i want track time. Love the car, but i feel like i need a cayman for track beating.
Attached Images
 
Jeremy Hazeltine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 PM
  #5
murphyslaw1978
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
murphyslaw1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,222
Default

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine View Post
I am tossing back and forth on selling mine. All updates have been done, but it just rolled 120k, and i want track time. Love the car, but i feel like i need a cayman for track beating.

What wheels are those? They look good
murphyslaw1978 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:46 PM
  #6
GTsilber
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine View Post
I am tossing back and forth on selling mine. All updates have been done, but it just rolled 120k, and i want track time. Love the car, but i feel like i need a cayman for track beating.
looks great, love the aero kit!
GTsilber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 PM
  #7
808Bill
User
 
808Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,299
Default

I'd look real close at the one Jake just finished for "Stonegate"
808Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 PM
  #8
Jeremy Hazeltine
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jeremy Hazeltine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tampa, florida
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978 View Post

What wheels are those? They look good
Avante garde 510

Originally Posted by GTsilber View Post
looks great, love the aero kit!
Not an aero kit, just a C2
Attached Images
 
Jeremy Hazeltine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM
  #9
sixfiveoh
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by GTsilber View Post
I'm going to be listing my car soon, 2002 C4S with 107k miles for $26k. It might seem high but I literally had all the preventative maintenance done over the past year, changed oil twice and only put 1500 miles on the car. There are absolutely zero issues with it mechanically, a few cosmetic items but the body is straight with a clean title and runs like a top. I have receipts for every part I bought and a spreadsheet documenting every part changed with cost and mileage.

PM if your interested, but I'd say 25k is inline with a well maintained C4S. I'm only selling because I have a newborn and bought a 2018 VW Atlas, I don't get to enjoy the 996 at all anymore
Would be interested, I'm out in CA and that'd be quite a trek however. PM me when it goes up for sale!

Nice car, Jeremy - but I'm looking specifically for the C4S
sixfiveoh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:49 PM
  #10
Chris(MA)
User
 
Chris(MA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: California
Posts: 236
Default

Originally Posted by sixfiveoh View Post
Looking at a car with 100k for $25k - which is about as high as I'd like to extend my budget. It will be my only vehicle but I take public transit to and from work so mainly looking for a fun weekend car.

According to the owner, IMS/RMS is replaced, recent new clutch, new suspension, new tires. I will have a PPI done before purchase, but is there anything I should be aware of or look out for with a car with this mileage? How's the price? I've seen a few 4S for around $25k but it is rare, and even fewer are local.

Any advice appreciated!
See if you can get it a little cheaper, also ask for receipts/photos and proof of the work. Which IMS bearing also and at what mileage?

I believe higher mileage 996's are the best to buy as long as you don't overpay for them.
Chris(MA) is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 AM
  #11
Volkert
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Posts: 235
Default

What ever the maintenance state of the car is or the outcome of the PPI, even if all looks rosey make sure you set aside 5k for maintenance. You don't want to be on a tight budget here. Does not mean you will spend it, but you got to have the means to fix things if something comes up. Another example could be suspension. The car runs good, passed PPI with flying colors but still you want it better after a while so you'll spend 2-3k to improve things. The mileage is OK but the car would need maintenance. Now, if you'd be buying a 30k garage queen you also would need maintenance, just different maintenance! :-)
Volkert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM
  #12
03996
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 266
Default

My car has about 98K on it and I've been offered $23k for it from a used car dealer. The place that did the work on my starter recently had another C4S in there that the owner paid around $28k for. Mileage is also approaching 100k. This all in Georgia.
03996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:57 PM
  #13
b3freak
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
b3freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Gawga DAWG Country
Posts: 2,575
Default

Originally Posted by 03996 View Post
My car has about 98K on it and I've been offered $23k for it from a used car dealer. The place that did the work on my starter recently had another C4S in there that the owner paid around $28k for. Mileage is also approaching 100k. This all in Georgia.
IMO, $23,000 would be closer to retail on your car. Has it been wrecked? Have you changed out the IMS or any other preventive maintenance beside the starter? Personally, if you got a solid offer for $23K, then that's really good. I've seen many C4S for that amount retail. Even one from a Porsche dealership and the car had less than 60K miles. Now if you have a C4S with lower miles and the IMS solution installed, you could probably get closer to $30K, but in my opinion, I'm going with Hagerty on this one and the national average on your car is $25K depending on condition,miles, etc. The GA Dept of Revenue only appraises the car at $11,975.
b3freak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:15 PM
  #14
808Bill
User
 
808Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,299
Default

Originally Posted by b3freak View Post
IMO, $23,000 would be closer to retail on your car. Has it been wrecked? Have you changed out the IMS or any other preventive maintenance beside the starter? Personally, if you got a solid offer for $23K, then that's really good. I've seen many C4S for that amount retail. Even one from a Porsche dealership and the car had less than 60K miles. Now if you have a C4S with lower miles and the IMS solution installed, you could probably get closer to $30K, but in my opinion, I'm going with Hagerty on this one and the national average on your car is $25K depending on condition,miles, etc. The GA Dept of Revenue only appraises the car at $11,975.
The one just done by FSI has 60K miles!
808Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 PM
  #15
808Bill
User
 
808Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,299
Default

Originally Posted by b3freak View Post
IMO, $23,000 would be closer to retail on your car. Has it been wrecked? Have you changed out the IMS or any other preventive maintenance beside the starter? Personally, if you got a solid offer for $23K, then that's really good. I've seen many C4S for that amount retail. Even one from a Porsche dealership and the car had less than 60K miles. Now if you have a C4S with lower miles and the IMS solution installed, you could probably get closer to $30K, but in my opinion, I'm going with Hagerty on this one and the national average on your car is $25K depending on condition,miles, etc. The GA Dept of Revenue only appraises the car at $11,975.
The one just done by FSI has 60K miles!
808Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rockpicker
964 Forum
20
08-04-2017 07:39 PM
yanik
Vehicle Marketplace
2
07-02-2017 10:17 AM
randerson22
Vehicle Marketplace
3
03-26-2017 06:56 PM
isport
911 Forum
6
09-22-2016 07:50 PM
JoeFromPA
997 Turbo Forum
93
12-26-2015 04:45 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: