996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Considering a '03 4S with 100k - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Considering a '03 4S with 100k - Help?

Looking at a car with 100k for $25k - which is about as high as I'd like to extend my budget. It will be my only vehicle but I take public transit to and from work so mainly looking for a fun weekend car.

According to the owner, IMS/RMS is replaced, recent new clutch, new suspension, new tires. I will have a PPI done before purchase, but is there anything I should be aware of or look out for with a car with this mileage? How's the price? I've seen a few 4S for around $25k but it is rare, and even fewer are local.

Any advice appreciated!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

A lot of going to come down to the condition of the car. I'm sure some people will tell you that 25k is on the high side, but it isn't necessarily true. I paid slightly less for mine with just under 100k miles on it, and then pretty much immediately spent $8k on IMS Solution, clutch, flywheel, front brakes, rear tires, engine mounts and some other goodies. Having all that done right out of the gate is nice and lets you jump in and drive.

Parts and maintenance can add up super quick - so I'd pay more attention to that vs. the mileage.

Don't be afraid to offer less - but in my opinion it isn't a bad deal. Just comes down to the condition.

Oh and good luck with your shopping and purchase! They're awesome cars!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 PM
GTsilber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be listing my car soon, 2002 C4S with 107k miles for $26k. It might seem high but I literally had all the preventative maintenance done over the past year, changed oil twice and only put 1500 miles on the car. There are absolutely zero issues with it mechanically, a few cosmetic items but the body is straight with a clean title and runs like a top. I have receipts for every part I bought and a spreadsheet documenting every part changed with cost and mileage.

PM if your interested, but I'd say 25k is inline with a well maintained C4S. I'm only selling because I have a newborn and bought a 2018 VW Atlas, I don't get to enjoy the 996 at all anymore
Old 08-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

I am tossing back and forth on selling mine. All updates have been done, but it just rolled 120k, and i want track time. Love the car, but i feel like i need a cayman for track beating.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
I am tossing back and forth on selling mine. All updates have been done, but it just rolled 120k, and i want track time. Love the car, but i feel like i need a cayman for track beating.

What wheels are those? They look good
Old 08-10-2017, 10:46 PM
GTsilber
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
looks great, love the aero kit!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd look real close at the one Jake just finished for "Stonegate"
Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

What wheels are those? They look good
Avante garde 510

Originally Posted by GTsilber
looks great, love the aero kit!
Not an aero kit, just a C2
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GTsilber
I'm going to be listing my car soon, 2002 C4S with 107k miles for $26k. It might seem high but I literally had all the preventative maintenance done over the past year, changed oil twice and only put 1500 miles on the car. There are absolutely zero issues with it mechanically, a few cosmetic items but the body is straight with a clean title and runs like a top. I have receipts for every part I bought and a spreadsheet documenting every part changed with cost and mileage.

PM if your interested, but I'd say 25k is inline with a well maintained C4S. I'm only selling because I have a newborn and bought a 2018 VW Atlas, I don't get to enjoy the 996 at all anymore
Would be interested, I'm out in CA and that'd be quite a trek however. PM me when it goes up for sale!

Nice car, Jeremy - but I'm looking specifically for the C4S
Old 08-10-2017, 11:49 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sixfiveoh
Looking at a car with 100k for $25k - which is about as high as I'd like to extend my budget. It will be my only vehicle but I take public transit to and from work so mainly looking for a fun weekend car.

According to the owner, IMS/RMS is replaced, recent new clutch, new suspension, new tires. I will have a PPI done before purchase, but is there anything I should be aware of or look out for with a car with this mileage? How's the price? I've seen a few 4S for around $25k but it is rare, and even fewer are local.

Any advice appreciated!
See if you can get it a little cheaper, also ask for receipts/photos and proof of the work. Which IMS bearing also and at what mileage?

I believe higher mileage 996's are the best to buy as long as you don't overpay for them.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever the maintenance state of the car is or the outcome of the PPI, even if all looks rosey make sure you set aside 5k for maintenance. You don't want to be on a tight budget here. Does not mean you will spend it, but you got to have the means to fix things if something comes up. Another example could be suspension. The car runs good, passed PPI with flying colors but still you want it better after a while so you'll spend 2-3k to improve things. The mileage is OK but the car would need maintenance. Now, if you'd be buying a 30k garage queen you also would need maintenance, just different maintenance! :-)
Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Racer

My car has about 98K on it and I've been offered $23k for it from a used car dealer. The place that did the work on my starter recently had another C4S in there that the owner paid around $28k for. Mileage is also approaching 100k. This all in Georgia.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:57 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by 03996
My car has about 98K on it and I've been offered $23k for it from a used car dealer. The place that did the work on my starter recently had another C4S in there that the owner paid around $28k for. Mileage is also approaching 100k. This all in Georgia.
IMO, $23,000 would be closer to retail on your car. Has it been wrecked? Have you changed out the IMS or any other preventive maintenance beside the starter? Personally, if you got a solid offer for $23K, then that's really good. I've seen many C4S for that amount retail. Even one from a Porsche dealership and the car had less than 60K miles. Now if you have a C4S with lower miles and the IMS solution installed, you could probably get closer to $30K, but in my opinion, I'm going with Hagerty on this one and the national average on your car is $25K depending on condition,miles, etc. The GA Dept of Revenue only appraises the car at $11,975.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
IMO, $23,000 would be closer to retail on your car. Has it been wrecked? Have you changed out the IMS or any other preventive maintenance beside the starter? Personally, if you got a solid offer for $23K, then that's really good. I've seen many C4S for that amount retail. Even one from a Porsche dealership and the car had less than 60K miles. Now if you have a C4S with lower miles and the IMS solution installed, you could probably get closer to $30K, but in my opinion, I'm going with Hagerty on this one and the national average on your car is $25K depending on condition,miles, etc. The GA Dept of Revenue only appraises the car at $11,975.
The one just done by FSI has 60K miles!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
The one just done by FSI has 60K miles!
Facebook Post

Quick Reply: Considering a '03 4S with 100k - Help?