Sponsored by:

Sat for 3 Years, Pre-Start Advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Ask Jake the recommended procedure. Since he builds engines that have never run, or have been totally rebuilt, his advice is what I would go on. Basic premise, you want oil circulating as quickly as possible, but that only happens when the engine runs. So a few quick starts and shut off is not really going to do anything bad except get the oil pump primed and oil circulating where it needs to be to minimize wear. I think the main difference is "my car has sat for 3 years and now I need to start it" and "a rebuilt engine that is pre-lubed in specific locations, such as cam lobs and lifters". The 3 year sitting motor is going to need some coaxing and priming because all of the surfaces have no lubrication.
Just because someone does something out of habit, and is an acknowledged expert doesn’t mean everything they do is perfect. If X picks their nose before they start every engine and has never had any issues will you post a YouTube of yourself digging for green gold every startup?

Use science..... science says cold starts kill engines so why do 3 of them back to back? At least the oil film won’t have time to drain back after the first one...

And lastly since when in the frick is a positive displacement oil pump difficult to prime? It’s not like trying to prime big centrifugal pumps.... but I’m sure I don’t know anything about pumps either according to you guys because I don’t have enough rennpostingcred.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Short of installing a pre-oiler, there’s not much that can be done.

With respect to the tensioners, not much there either. It’s the design of this engine that oil get to the tensioners pretty much last.

Quick Reply: Sat for 3 Years, Pre-Start Advise.