996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Possible oil in cylinders. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

This is puzzling. At be least it doesn't soumd like you have a cracked head now. Are those green gaskets in place between the plastic intake header and the metal riser? There were cases gasket got pinched and caused air leak.

I think you are right that you should retrace all the parts that you have removed and reinstalled.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:44 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 996Fever
No smoke now, but still running bad. Rough. Idle fluctuates between 1700 and 400, backfiring when it gets low. Only let it run about three of these idle cycles and shut her down. I must have something not right from the AOS change. I'm going to make sure the bellows is on correctly, but what else could it be? Intake leak? Some sensor I disturbed? Thanks in advance.
Randy
I had a wild goose chase figuring out what was causing my idle to hunt. Many things checked, replaced or cleaned.

Turned out to be my AOS. Had it replaced, idle fixed.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM
996Fever
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you. Replacing a bad AOS was how this started. Anyways, runs like a million dollars now. Took it for a short ride half assembled real quick. I had the boots on the plenum right behind the throttle body not on straight it seems, mega intake leak I'm sure. Just put the heat shields, bumper, and tail lights back on and am about to head out to dinner at the drive in with it.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad you got it sorted!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:41 PM
996Fever
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Glad you got it sorted!
Yes, thank you for your help. I took it out to dinner, which means about 35 miles around here, and it ran great. Can't believe I missed the boot being out of whack. The two front (technically rear) tubes on the left and right manifolds aren't exactly in line, so it's a bit difficult, but when I went back in, it was obvious that it wasn't on right. I'm really happy. This isn't the fastest, or the nicest car I own, but it's one of my favorites.
Thank again and happy motoring
Old 08-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by 996Fever
No smoke now, but still running bad. Rough. Idle fluctuates between 1700 and 400, backfiring when it gets low. Only let it run about three of these idle cycles and shut her down. I must have something not right from the AOS change. I'm going to make sure the bellows is on correctly, but what else could it be? Intake leak? Some sensor I disturbed? Thanks in advance.
Randy
Did you perform a handover/ system reset after the AOS work was done?

The DME had adapted to the degradation of the prior AOS, and you must clear the adaptive after the work is completed.

That said, its acting like an intake leak to me, or the plastic AOS vent hose going to the bank 2 cylinder head was cracked during the AOS procedure. These corrugated tube are an achilles heel.

Quick Reply: Possible oil in cylinders. Help!