996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

'99 Coupe in Dallas for $11.5 - Looks Legit

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

I doubt $11.5k for a 99 is legit. I am in the chicago area and was able to find a local car - there are a lot of cars within 300 miles of here.

I agree on LSD - it's not that you need it, since I have so much traction without it, but having it is kind of a cool bonus.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:49 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Well if the blonde trying to show off her legs more than the car says it's in perfect shape..... maybe you should give her a PPI....
Old 07-29-2017, 01:18 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

$11,500 from a dealer? That's cheap, dirt cheap for a 911. Maybe you will get lucky and the car won't need much, only $2000 - $3000 in immediate work. Or, far more likely, you will purchase an $11,500 911 with few if any service records and pretty much needs everything replaced, which will cost you closer to $10,000. Here are some questions for that dealer -

is the suspension new or recently replaced? No? Okay that's $5,000 right there.
Water pump, thermostat records? No? Add another $1,000
Alternator, starter, wire harness? $600 if you do it all your self (I just did this) and closer to $1,800 at the dealer.
Tires new or less than three year on the manufacture date? No? Add another $800 minimum
Front bumper needs replacement - $500 - $1000 for used
Speakers? $200 for cheapies
Radio? Did you want to use blue tooth or make hands free calls? Add $400 for a new Alpine head unit
I could easily name 10 - 15 more things.

I think it might be worth a gamble, but it's important to realize at $11,500 it probably needs a few things before it will drive like a Porsche should. I purchased my 2002 for around $17,000 but put in more than $8,000 in two years and I can do some of the work myself.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
$11,500 from a dealer? That's cheap, dirt cheap for a 911. Maybe you will get lucky and the car won't need much, only $2000 - $3000 in immediate work. Or, far more likely, you will purchase an $11,500 911 with few if any service records and pretty much needs everything replaced, which will cost you closer to $10,000. Here are some questions for that dealer -

is the suspension new or recently replaced? No? Okay that's $5,000 right there.
Water pump, thermostat records? No? Add another $1,000
Alternator, starter, wire harness? $600 if you do it all your self (I just did this) and closer to $1,800 at the dealer.
Tires new or less than three year on the manufacture date? No? Add another $800 minimum
Front bumper needs replacement - $500 - $1000 for used
Speakers? $200 for cheapies
Radio? Did you want to use blue tooth or make hands free calls? Add $400 for a new Alpine head unit
I could easily name 10 - 15 more things.

I think it might be worth a gamble, but it's important to realize at $11,500 it probably needs a few things before it will drive like a Porsche should. I purchased my 2002 for around $17,000 but put in more than $8,000 in two years and I can do some of the work myself.
That's been my thinking. I prefer a 996.2 to a 996.1, but if I could get a well sorted one for, say, $15k, I may take the plunge. I'm looking for something to drive, not show off. The two '02's I have linked in this thread both have extensive service history (CarFax), and one had major IMS/RMS/Clutch work done at a local shop I'm familiar with. I'm more inclined to add the $8-$10k I would spend getting a '99 up to snuff to the purchase price of a 996.2 that has had the work done.

P.S., the '02 in FL looks pretty good for $23.9k. The blonde is a distraction to the uninitiated. Doing some due diligence on Autohaus of Naples, I found this interesting story of he said-he said (click on complaint at the top right and then click to expand the complaint):

https://www.bbb.org/west-florida/pag...s?noskin&clean
Old 07-29-2017, 02:41 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I'd stay away from Autohaus, looks like they tried to pull a fast one on that guy...
Old 07-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

The '02 here in Chicago is sold. I rode out to Auto Showcase today on my bike ready to knock him down a few grand armed with the Autohaus listing from Naples. The guy I had been speaking to, Andy, said they sold it yesterday for asking, and that the guy paid $1,500 to have an Auto Showcase porter drive it to him the same day. He lives somewhere on the border between Texas and Kansas. Can you believe that ****?

I said, but he could have shipped it for less. He said, I know, but he wanted it that day and shipping would have taken 3 at a minimum.

Unbelievable. I doubt the guy had a PPI done. I hope he drives it for another 200k.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:12 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
He lives somewhere on the border between Texas and Kansas.
Is that the part of the border they call "Oklahoma?"

(Sorry for the stupid question ... up here we're only a couple hours south of Canadia, so some of us don't know a lot about geography south of Jersey or west of Pennsylvania.)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by KoB
Is that the part of the border they call "Oklahoma?"

(Sorry for the stupid question ... up here we're only a couple hours south of Canadia, so some of us don't know a lot about geography south of Jersey or west of Pennsylvania.)
His words, not mine...
I can still name at least 30 of the 50 state capitals from the 8th grade test.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

since you mentioned Midwest Performance Cars, I figured I'd chime in. If you can avoid them, take the car somewhere else. myself and a few other folks I know have had less than stellar experiences with them lately (ever since they switched ownership a couple of years ago).
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by kondata17
since you mentioned Midwest Performance Cars, I figured I'd chime in. If you can avoid them, take the car somewhere else. myself and a few other folks I know have had less than stellar experiences with them lately (ever since they switched ownership a couple of years ago).
Damn that hurts -- a lot. They're a mile from my house. I was planning on them being my go-to shop. Great info, though. Much appreciated...
Old 07-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

What happened? They have good ratings on Yelp and such, and good info from friends' experiences.

I took my car there for a diagnosis that 2 other shops couldn't do. There is a Porsche guy there - his name might be Chris.

That said, I remember the old shop quite well. I cannot remeber if it was Tom or Bruce, but they did mostly air-cooled cars and had quite a small collection of them about 10-12 years ago.

The new shop works on all kinds of cars, not just Porsche, so I'm sure they might not be as detailed as the old shop.

I've used quite a few different shops near Chicagoland over the years. It's hard to find a place that does good work that you don't have to drive too far to.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
What happened? They have good ratings on Yelp and such, and good info from friends' experiences.

I took my car there for a diagnosis that 2 other shops couldn't do. There is a Porsche guy there - his name might be Chris.

That said, I remember the old shop quite well. I cannot remeber if it was Tom or Bruce, but they did mostly air-cooled cars and had quite a small collection of them about 10-12 years ago.

The new shop works on all kinds of cars, not just Porsche, so I'm sure they might not be as detailed as the old shop.

I've used quite a few different shops near Chicagoland over the years. It's hard to find a place that does good work that you don't have to drive too far to.
What about VFC Engineering in North Chicago? I have been talking with the seller of this C4S and he had pretty extensive work done there:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3898/overview/
Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
What about VFC Engineering in North Chicago? I have been talking with the seller of this C4S and he had pretty extensive work done there:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3898/overview/
No Experience with VFC other then a conversation about rebuilding my trans. this is probably not a good gauge of their ability, but they quoted me $1400 to fix it without knowing what was wrong with it or seeming at all concerned. I ended up sending it to G-Box and parts cost alone was $2700.

as far as Midwest performance goes, my girlfriend brought her boxster to them to replace a broken door lock and examine a leaky top. They needed to order a part from Germany (which they marked up 300%) and claimed they could get in 3 days (the 3 day part is why we brought it to them). Took 5 weeks and they charged 2 hours of labor to do absolutely nothing with the top. They also charged a crazy amount to remove the door card and replace the door locking mechanism. Had I known it was going to take that long, I could have just ordered it myself and installed with a buddy over a weekend. when we tried to take the car from them, they already had a $500 bill lined up since they had to remove the door card.

The convenience of being in the west loop was appealing, but after dealing with Chris (the main service writer), theres no way I'll ever bring anything back to them.

Quick Reply: '99 Coupe in Dallas for $11.5 - Looks Legit