Slave cylinder dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Slave cylinder dead?

All,

Just curious if anyone knows if you push the clutch pedal all the way down, while it isn't connected to the transmission, if it kills the slave cylinder.

While the engine and trans were out of the car, I had friends sit in it and push in the clutch to row through the gears. Smh

The slave push-rod is extended all the way and the rubber boot is full of fluid.

Curious if it is ruined.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:26 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

Yes, it is ruined. Do not push on the clutch pedal if the slave cylinder has been removed and is just hanging there. Blows the internal seals. You should get a new one - P/N here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=301-05

If the engine/trans are removed, why would you have someone "row through the gears" when nothing is attached? That doesn't make sense. You wouldn't even need to push the clutch because the shifter linkage is not attached to anything. Anyway, the slave cylinder is toast.

Last edited by DBJoe996; 07-27-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Also, you can buy the SACHS one which is less money. It is the exact same part, just with the Porsche logo grinded off of it, at least on the one I ordered.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Yes, it is ruined. Do not push on the clutch pedal if the slave cylinder has been removed and is just hanging there. Blows the internal seals. You should get a new one - P/N here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=301-05

If the engine/trans are removed, why would you have someone "row through the gears" when nothing is attached? That doesn't make sense. You wouldn't even need to push the clutch because the shifter linkage is not attached to anything. Anyway, the slave cylinder is toast.
Thanks guys!

That's what I figured. As soon as my friend got into it, he pushed in the clutch. I was like......"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

It actually does make sense why he did it. Most people don't sit in cars without engines/transmissions. Even after being told the trans is not in the car, it's a habit to try to row through the gears when you sit in a car. Pushing in the clutch is part of that habit. I don't fault him. Easy mistake to make.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:54 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

Stuff happens. I have driven my car for years and the startup is somewhat habit. Did a starter replacement and got all done. Sat in the car, turned the ignition, nothing. I sat in the seat thinking about what I had done wrong. Ummmm...forgot to push in the clutch pedal!

Anyway, fortunately it is not an expensive part to replace. Would recommend getting it installed while the engine/trans is out. It's a bear in situ.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:27 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I had mine blow out after re-installing the transmission (it wasn't aligned properly with the release fork). I replaced the entire cylinder as others have recommended. I found that for me it was easier to install the slave cylinder to the transmission while they're both out of the car, then reconnect the line and bleed after everything is back in.

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder dead?