roof rack mounting flap fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:20 AM
vrage
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Fixed.

I removed trim per shop manual instructions, which is to pry front first, then along outside edge. I tried to work with it half way up but it was easier to fully remove it, plus clean inside there. Getting it to snap on wasn't so easy, but it went.

plastic trim removal tools really help. Also, if you read the directions, it says to press/pry along outside edge to release each clip. Everyone, including the dealer, said these clips always break upon removal. Well, not if you pry as directed. The clips don't go in or out in a straight up/down movement, but rather more like a 45* angle from inside to outside. If you examine the clips once moulding is out, you'll see what I mean. Just take it slow.

Could you kindly post the part numbers and pictures again, unable to see them and was hoping to fix one of the flip panels on the rails
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,773 Posts

I'm not sure what you are not seeing because your reply included my pics. I'll try and post again what I have in hopes it will help you. Feel free to email me if you need me to send you pics and instruction printout directly. For P/N's, I'll look, but you can just call the dealer. They know what P/N it is. These break often!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbxq2d3wct...35834.jpg?dl=0
Old 05-10-2018, 06:45 PM
vrage
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You for posting this along with the PDF @AdamIsAdam.
I ordered the parts online thru suncoast, so should be a DIY for the next weekend.

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2018, 07:54 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,773 Posts

Originally Posted by vrage
Thank You for posting this along with the PDF @AdamIsAdam.
I ordered the parts online thru suncoast, so should be a DIY for the next weekend.

Thanks again
You're welcome. Just paying it forward. Enjoy. It's the little things that bring big enjoyment. Flaps that close. My front door and storm that close smoothly and put a smile on my face every time I use them. Yup. Little things.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:50 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

I did two on my car when I first got it. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I didn't remove the trim strips. From what I remember, I opened the flap and removed it, then just popped the white "clip piece" out ( I think it was already broken - hence the flap not staying closed) and popped the new one in... I remember I tried to unscrew the mounting point first, but had no luck (the small flat head screw was totally seized - tried all kinds of penetrating oils). Good Luck
Old 12-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

I too had the droopy flap. I was careful to remove but still had a little challenge figuring out the part numbers - so here you go future users!

The black wedge looks like one part number is for the three pieces - I'll find out when they arrive from Sunset.

These are from an '01 cup.

Regards.

The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (06-20-2020)
Old 12-27-2021, 09:26 PM
JMELZER
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll revive this thread as I successfully repaired my luggage flap today.
1. Remove the roof trim strip by gently prying from the near side starting at the rear using a proper plastic tool. There are five clips that will release to patient firm pressure and probably won't break.
2. Remove the flap from the broken white plastic hinge. If it was like mine it will come right out because the hinge is broken.
3. Pop the hinge out of the trim channel.
4. Install the new hinge and flap by pressing it into place - notice that the hinge fits in the channel one way. Look at the way it clips in, one side has a beveled clip - put the other side in first capturing the rubber edge strip as you push it into place then press the other side into place. I didn't get a photo of this but if you look at the new hinge you will see what I mean.
5. Reinstall the roof trim strip. Align the clips and press down firmly starting from the front of the strip working to the rear. They will snap into place.

Do yourself a favor and purchase both hinges if you are doing one side. It is likely they are very brittle so replace both while you have the roof strip off. They don't cost much.

My flap was pre-chipped.

Last edited by JMELZER; 12-27-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:28 AM
chris8382
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Do yourself another favor….

When I first had this problem (99 C2 over 10yrs ago), I learned that the screws fixed into the roof CAN rust into their mounting (I am referring to the screws which must be removed to attach the roof rack feet). This experience taught me about removing the long trim strip and about the joys of drilling out screws and tapping new holes. Good fun.

So now, with my 03 C4S, I have seen that the screws have changed a bit (some plastic coating on the head), but still are rusting in their holes. Took these out last night and applied oil to reduce corrosion.

My advice: don’t wait until you need to use them. Preemptively remove the screws and oil them now. Your future self or the next owner will thank you.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:41 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by chris8382
When I first had this problem (99 C2 over 10yrs ago), I learned that the screws fixed into the roof CAN rust into their mounting (I am referring to the screws which must be removed to attach the roof rack feet). This experience taught me about removing the long trim strip and about the joys of drilling out screws and tapping new holes. Good fun.

So now, with my 03 C4S, I have seen that the screws have changed a bit (some plastic coating on the head), but still are rusting in their holes. Took these out last night and applied oil to reduce corrosion.

My advice: don’t wait until you need to use them. Preemptively remove the screws and oil them now. Your future self or the next owner will thank you.
I had to replace 2 out of the 4 roof mounts - wasn't too bad of a project and was much better than drilling/tapping badly rusted mounts. Took the time to replace all 4 door hinges and a few of the strip mounts as well. I recommend using some anti-seize on the screws; that will protect the threads long term.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:45 PM
JMELZER
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

To be clear, it is not necessary to remove those often frozen/corroded screws if you are only fixing broken flap hinges.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:52 AM
Krohn
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you all for this thread,...been working hard to figure out how to attach this trim piece....cant wait to try now!!!
Did anyone use locite when they fixed this? I can not find loctite 241, what is an alternative?
Thank you!

Last edited by Krohn; 05-11-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:10 AM
Krohn
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

MY one questions here is did you lay the rubber seal on the roof then press metal into it or did you attach the rubber gasket to the metal piece and then clip to roof?
Old 05-31-2023, 08:49 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Put the rubber seal around the part and then fit strip to the roof.
The following users liked this post:
Krohn (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:24 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 604 Posts

$6 on Pelican Parts:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...559-729-00-OEM

Maybe we could do a group buy?
Old 07-01-2023, 06:35 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Just did this, easier than I thought. I had the car in the sun prior to removal to heat the strip & tabs up. Using plastic tools, the strip popped up, replaced white piece that holds the flap, lined the clips back up and popped the trim back in using the palm of my hand.

Pry up

Piece out and you can see the clips that snap together.

Plastic pieces fit in the underside channel. One side goes in first, the other side has a clip piece than snaps in. It’s obvious when you see it.

My clip had a broken tabs at the top & bottom.

All done

Part #
The following 2 users liked this post by chakka:
hardtailer (07-02-2023), JMELZER (07-01-2023)

Quick Reply: roof rack mounting flap fix?