Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AM I a bad owner??

Last week it rained for 3 days.
I left my baby in the garage and drove
my truck everywhere. Sat it cleared up but obviously
there was moisture in the air. I had to go to Bakersfield
to take my son to his soccer game. He begged me to take the
TT. I have not driven it in 4 days now. I said ok.
We have to cross the Sierras to get to Bakersfield. Upon
reaching the summit in Tehachapi IT STARTED RAINING!!
THere was water all over my car!! I drove as fast as I could
but I could not out run the drops!!I actually had to use the
windshield wiper!!Needless to say I was pretty down
at the soccer game, the team sensed that and lost 3-2.
ON the drive back it did not rain but the damage was done.
I can now never say, should I sell, "never even seen rain!"
in my ad! I got home washed off the car and put her back
into the garage. I....I.... feel so ashamed!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad. Mine saw rain when I put my Bilstiens on. I don't even cover mine in garage most of the time and I have been known to carry a cooler od soda on long trips.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:27 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OldGuy,

If you don't drive it in the rain, how are you going to experience the joy of lighting up all four while not damageing first gear!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:48 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

A bad owner would be one who wouldn't drive in the rain. We own cars, if I wanted an artifact I'd get a stamp collection!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:49 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott,

I'm with oldguy... I think the only times I've washed my car in the 11 months of ownership was after the two serious road trips. But there are two other ways one can enjoy the thrill of lighting them up without relying on wet roads:

1. Really hard, really skinny tires. Something off an old minivan might do the trick.

2. A visit to your bank, followed by a visit to Steve W. or Stephen for an infusion of some go-pills... to the tune of 550 HP or so.

uhhh.... lets see. Hmmm.... I think I like option 2 better.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:10 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SinfulSteve, I dont cover mine in the garage either, I still havent
decided on the scratching issue. I california dust it every so often.
My car had a bunch of tiny scratches which I have been taking out.
I think they came from the original owners cover.
So I dont know if I want to put a cover on it or not yet.
I think if you do then you have to put it on and take it off
very carefully. But then you cant just walk out and
take a gander at the beauty with your goose!
SteveOFE does cover up. I am confused.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look, just to make certain I'm getting this...you're kidding right? This IS just a tongue in cheek post, poking a little fun at Garage Queeners........
Old 11-19-2003, 01:30 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John, Yes it is toungue in cheek, but it was the first time I had
the car in the rain. You will notice that I have a very bad sense of
humour. Unfortunately its taken me 500+ posts to even show
a feeble hint at humour!
Old 11-19-2003, 01:43 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Steve:

I am convinced your car is actually made out of sugar and would melt in the rain.
My motto:
Drive it every day. Cover it everyday. Carpe steering wheel!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,

I think the most important thing is how you wash the car. I never use a sponge or dirty towel. I always use a soft large bristle brush and LOTS of water at a generous pressure to remove all accumulated crap. If your car is not dusty when you cover (and your cover is clean), then you have no problems. ALso that's why I have a silver car. My black and red turbos like to kill me trying to keep clean and working on the swirl marks.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:39 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Steve,

I am afraid the damage is done. The outside of the car is easy to fix after a bout in the rain. It is the underside that concerns me. You have now gotten all kinds of road debris all over your suspension. I am afraid a set of PSS9s and new sways may be required to solve your current safety issue....
Old 11-19-2003, 03:11 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob,
Great idea - I have to try that with the wife, cos I would really like a set of PSS-9's and sways. "Honey I bought them because it's a safety issue
all the experts on Rennlist say so"
Wonder if this would work for new turbo's - "eeek, I got a rain drop inside my turbo's have to replace em now"
Man you gota love the rain in Seattle...be the end of the winter, with this argument I should have all my mods done - thxs OG / Bob.

- james
Old 11-19-2003, 03:12 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the california duster is terrible it will scratch your paint noticably on a black car. I am a wacko about that stuff. Quick detailing it will do it also NO NO NO. If you're that much of a wacko you should know that for sure. Research the boards or pm me and I will tell you how to get all of your scratches out of your paint and keep it like a mirror. It took me probably about 10h or research on autopia the detailing boards and another 7h of detailing but the results are rediculous. I have pics to prove it. If you're worried about rain spots vinegar and water in a low solution takes them out, assuming you've already stipped your wax and are committed to redoing the detail right.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:35 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys drive your cars? Rain? I don't even drive it during high dust and pollen days.

I even know a guy who has taken the wipers off his car because there was absolutely no chance he would drive it when there was a possibility of rain.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:28 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I got a couple of requests on my detail method so Here is how I detailed my car-

sorry they deleted my posts on it on both the detailing board and here as it was old. WEAK!!! I had a nice write up on it before but Here is the process

Things needed you can get all of this stuff from CMA classic motoring accessories for the most part. The porter cable you can get elsewhere from coastal tool supply for the cheapest.

Wash the car with microfiber mit only and dawn blue; it strips everything off wax etc.
Dry with Micro fiber drying towels only!!!! Use the blue super ones they're great.
Then clay the car with a good clay and quick detail that goes with it. I liked the blackfire kit. Very pliable clay and easy to work with; the spray is good and smells nice to boot.

Next wash the car again with dawn and mirco fiber towels to dry only!

Next assuming you have a porter cable if not get one and use the oversized pads and hook backing re 6.5" much better !!!

Start with the yellow pad to remove swirls with 3m's smr swirl mark remover. You should run it on 1 to smooth on then 2-3 to work. Don't stay on one area and be careful on the edges. Most pro's tape the edges as it makes it easier on the cleanup. Whatever I am lazy.

Buff out with the green 220 microfiber towels

Then check the finish there shouldn't be any scratches or swirl marks period. If there are go over it again following the same process

Next use a polish/sealant. The best for black is blackfire 2
I did 2 coats of it with simular application and removal. I however used a white pad for the first coat and a grey pad for the second.

I was skeptical as after the first coat it was unbelievable!! BUT an additional coat did yield a little more depth yet.

This product adds so much depth in the paint it is unreal!!

Lastly the wax coat is applied. I used p21s. I liked it's results although it was a pain to put on!

I nuked it in the microwave and used the foam pad to spead it and then went over it with the grey pad to even it out I did this at about 1-1.5 speed.
I did 2 coats of p21s.
Remove with the microfiber towels. Always use new towels for each different product.

At this stage also follow up with the ultra microfiber towel to make sure you got it all. It's actually a more dense weave yet still.

Now sit back and be astonished.

For problems like rain spotting a mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle will take care of those pesky calcium deposits. Do this after the dawn then dawn again. Read up on autopia to find out more about this, I haven't done it-.

This process is a lot of work but if you want to see the results go on the gallery and see my car it's under sean's 996 or spr's 996 I think the first one. The results are insane.

Quick Reply: AM I a bad owner??