Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 06:54 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean,

Thxs for the write-up.
Have you tried the Zaino products, I just detailed my Black S with these and the car came out great.
I used basically the same process - Dawn wash, then Clay bar with Spray.
Re-wash with Dawn.
4 x Coats of Zaino - Clearcoat swirl mark remover
then
4 x Coats of Zaino - Show Car Polish.

Through all of this, I took Zaino's recommendation to use Cotton Bathtowels (white, no-labels and no edge trim)

Also, no washing with a sponge...I tried a bathtowel to wash with, but this was inconvenient so now I am using a sheepskin wash mit.

I am seriously considering microfiber cloths, less chance of scratches and no fluff to leave on the paint finish.
Do you have a good source for these ?

Thxs

- james
Old 11-19-2003, 08:19 PM
msobota
Advanced

I like to drive my car when it's perfectly clean (if possible) and on nice days with minimal traffic. I generally commute before morning and evening rush hour so it's not difficult to stay out of the stop and go traffic but when it's raining, I like driving the SUV.

I would like to try an AMG ML55 or X5 4.6 for those rainy days but right now I'm in a Jeep.

When I have just cleaned my car, people are falling all over themselves to admire the car - they stop me in traffic and anywhere else too. It doesn't get near the attention in dirty form.

I understand the idea that a car is a car but this aint no daily driver.

Mike Sobota
Old 11-19-2003, 08:20 PM
msobota
Advanced

I like to drive my car when it's perfectly clean (if possible) and on nice days with minimal traffic. I generally commute before morning and evening rush hour so it's not difficult to stay out of the stop and go traffic but when it's raining, I like driving the SUV.

I would like to try an AMG ML55 or X5 4.6 for those rainy days but right now I'm in a Jeep.

When I have just cleaned my car, people are falling all over themselves to admire the car - they stop me in traffic and anywhere else too. It doesn't get near the attention in dirty form.

I understand the idea that a car is a car but this aint no daily driver.

Mike Sobota
Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup sure have tried zaino before these products and they don't give near the results. The zaino system does not do a good job at all at removing swirls period. It does contain a lot of oils that fill the scratches only to be seen after a couple of waxes when the wax comes off. The products that I have used are the best in their respective application as researched on autopia etc. Zaino is good stuff but it is just not the best.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

It always rains within 6 hours, after a car wash
Old 11-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OG,

Don't feel bad. Mine sees snow and salt every winter (and track days all summer), so your pride and joy leads a charmed life by comparison.

I didn't buy the 993 to shine it, which is probably why it's spent the past 2+ months in the shop after the spin in the infamous Kink at RA. Honestly, the warts, bumps, and bruises just make me love it more, because they remind me of all the fun we've had together.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:38 AM
SLVR
Pro

I am with Rick Lee, drive it like you stole it!! Includes rain. Draw the line at salt. Been there, done that (not with a P-car), salt makes everything much harder to work on in the long run.

I use mine through the year and wash it once a quarter if I have time. Never came up looking any worse. Though I wonder what it'll look like by end of November after crossing the Atlantic.....
Old 11-20-2003, 12:49 PM
F355993TT
Track Day

Well, I hate to admit it but most of the time I drive my TT through a brushless car wash. Shame on me. However, when it gets really dirty I spend half a day detailing it by hand.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Seljan
Pro

This picture should ease your pain...that is REAL dirt!

Quick Reply: AM I a bad owner??