Sponsored by:

White smoke on start-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 02:23 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White smoke on start-up

I have read Jeff's posts on this issue. I did not have this problem until my most recent oil change. I understand that the filters are accused of being at fault. I have two new filters at home. One has a 3 suffix and I am assuming this is a good one for turbos. The other filter ( I can't remember if it is the long or short filter) has a 2 as the suffix. Do I need to exchange this one for one ending in a 3?

Viper Bob is doing my 30k service in a couple of weeks and I want to address this issue while the car is up on his jack stands.

Thanks!
Hal
Old 11-18-2003, 03:10 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hal,

I had the same problem at each oil change. It usually goes away after about 10 starts. I asked Don from CT Automotive this question and he said it happens a lot and it has something to do with the filters as you said, but it goes away and it's nothing to worry about.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nothing to worry about if the problem DOES go away. But for Jeff and me, the problem only got worse. In my case, the filter was the correct one, but it hadn't been tightened properly (first hand-tighten it and then add 1/2 turn with a filter wrench). Once tightened properly, the smoke no longer was a problem.

So before you change the filters, you may want to make sure they have been tightened correctly.

To answer you question on the serial number of the correct filter, I recommend you contact the service dept at your local dealer. Part numbers can change. The dealer will have the most current part number.

Dan
'97 993tt
Old 11-19-2003, 07:28 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Dan,

Thanks for the information. In my case, the problem is getting worse.

Viper Bob will be helping me to do the 30k service in a few days so we can check the filter tightness issue then.

Regards,
Hal
Old 11-22-2003, 01:37 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done two oil changes under the auspices of Snake-handler Bob -- he supplied the filters and fresh crush-washers -- and my car doesn't smoke. Once you get the major service done, I expect the engine will be back to normal.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

For future reference:

http://www.993faq.com/archives/cat_engine.html#000310

Good luck with solving this problem, Hal.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:22 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Well Jeff, we solved the problem. When I took off the Intercooler oil just dripped out. And I mean BIG time. There was oil everywhere. You could then see the oil on the cold side air intake tubes rubber gasket. There was even oil leaking out onto the wastegate rods. His turbo bearings are DONE. Hopefully we can remove then and get them rebuilt. When they get this bad, it can cause too much internal damage. On the hot side, you could see the housings had been getting white hot (from burning off the oil inside). Major bummer. Hal also mentioned that it has been using a quart of oil every 500 miles recently. That makes sense now.

Apparently the car was owned by a Hollywood woman movie producer. So do you think those turbo bearings ever saw a 2 minute cool down in the first 25K miles? Doubtful.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:51 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob,

Is Kevin going to do the turbo rebuild? Are you going to leave them stock, or are you going to "viperboberize" Hal's car? My TT with 59000 miles uses 1 quart in 5000 miles, no smoke, and runs great. But I know those turbos can't last forever, so someday I'll be doing a rebuild, and I certainly won't do them stock. What other work will you be doing in conjunction with the turbo rebuild?

BTW, my driving routine always has me driving the car very easily for at least 5 minutes after I exit the freeway (where I may be jumping on the boost). I presume this is a sufficient cool-down?
Old 11-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

great detective work bob.... Let me know when the rebuilt gets done.. I'm thinking of doing the k16/k24 hybrid conversion at some point in the future.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:41 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff & Bob - I'm looking at the same thing in the near future. Probably replacing the turbos would be more interesting... What should I get? My goal would be 500hp
Old 11-30-2003, 08:38 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

jeff,
ever considered the titanium twin scroll turbos...
kinda like the evos8 setup... low spool high output... good at all almost any rev range
would be interesting
Old 12-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Superyellowfly;

Are you talking about something like this? Titanium Zero Clearance....

Last edited by Kevin; 12-04-2003 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there somewhere to see high resolution pics ... I think I've found my calling.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:57 PM
maxiter
Racer

Sheesh. Add me to the white smoke club. Passenger (right) side.

My invoice says these part numbers:

993-207-201-02 Large Oil Filter
993-107-203-03 Oil Filter

Based on what I'm reading, these are indeed the correct filters, aren't they? As I'm a noob with this stuff what's the chance I can check the filter tightness myself?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:17 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by maxiter
Based on what I'm reading, these are indeed the correct filters, aren't they? As I'm a noob with this stuff what's the chance I can check the filter tightness myself?
The engine oil filter is pretty hard to get to. You have to jack up the car and have the appropriate oil filter adaptor. You most likely will have to use a 22mm ( or 24 mm ) socket and then put a long extension on it. There are a few ventilation clamps to remove too.

And even if you get to it, you may not know how much it was tightened to begin with. You may want to just replace that one filter all togehter.

You'll most likely have residual oil in the intercooler, turbo intake hoses, etc. So you have to clean that out too.

So depending on your level of DIY'ness, it may or may not be an easy procedure. If you've done oil changes yourself before, then it's an easy 1 hour procedure. If not, then it'll be hard to get all the pieces together and you may be better off asking your mechanic to spend an hour to do it.

Also, make sure you don't overfill the car! I ran mine about 1 quart low for 1K miles and then topped it off to where it should be.

It's just a hunch, but it seems like the oil volumne is not constant. Maybe due to heat expansion, or ???.

Quick Reply: White smoke on start-up