Sponsored by:

White smoke on start-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 05:53 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put in 9 quarts and then add the rest with the car running and warmed up until the oil level gauge shows about 2/3 full. When it gets very hot at the track, it will show full.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:45 PM
maxiter
Racer

Originally posted by Jeff 993TT
You'll most likely have residual oil in the intercooler, turbo intake hoses, etc. So you have to clean that out too.

So depending on your level of DIY'ness, it may or may not be an easy procedure. If you've done oil changes yourself before, then it's an easy 1 hour procedure. If not, then it'll be hard to get all the pieces together and you may be better off asking your mechanic to spend an hour to do it.

Also, make sure you don't overfill the car! I ran mine about 1 quart low for 1K miles and then topped it off to where it should be.

I had the 30k service/oil change done 3 weeks ago, and in the 10 times or so the cars been out (maybe 200 miles covered), no problems. Three times today, though, even after sitting for as little as 2 hours. It does clear up after running for 10 minutes or so, but I can still smell it.

Everything else is OK, though. No CEL, full 0.8 bar, etc.

Based on your description of the process, I'm going to pass. Even though I'm mechanically inclined, I'm too green for this stuff. I hope I don't have to argue with the shop too much to get them to fix it.

As suggested, I'll be very explicit about only having 9 quarts put in.

If only viperbob weren't so far away...

Thanks 911/Q45 and Jeff 993TT (did check 993faq, too).
Old 12-21-2003, 11:29 AM
maxiter
Racer

If I can borrow a little more wisdom from you guys...

I checked the intercooler and two of the hoses last night (2.5" on each left and right side of intercooler), and as expected, they are chock full of oil. It's very heavy on the right side (the side I get the most smoke) and moderate on the left.

How good of a job do I need to do cleaning out the oil? Is a good wiping adequate or should I use something like brake clean? And, if you could, just how many things are on the clean me list: hoses, left & right, intercooler. Throttle body?

As an aside, I'm glad I bought that telescoping mirror. It was a fun excursion fishing that metal clip (that each of the 6mm bolts attach to) from the intercooler shroud out of the engine compartment. Now I know to pull them off and keep them away.

Thanks again all.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:21 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't get too **** about it, wiping what you can reach should be OK. The oil will eventually dissipate. The important thing is to correct the source of the oil. That's easy if it was just overfilled, not so easy if the turbo seals are bad. A magnet on a handle is an indespensable tool that gets used a lot in my garage!

Quick Reply: White smoke on start-up