Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Durametric trouble shooting on 993tt

Help please from our currently knowledgable tuned 993tters

So I've put the 993 back into service, had a spanner check which revealed nothing serious, prob $1K work of stuff, refilled with Mobile 10-60 motorsport and new MOT (emissions cert) issued.

On the engine dyno (back in 2006) the car made its max power at about 1 bar boost with IAT around 55C with loading similar to sixth gear.

The car was last out in 2014 where it hit 201mph an an event so was definitely producing all horses.

On the road the car is hitting just under 1 bar in second and third but in higher gears the ECU is pulling the boost back to around 0.8bar.

I never really noticed before what boost the car would make in the higher gears (didn't look in 2014 either) so I don't know if there is a problem or not, it certainly feels quick enough.

I plugged in the Durametric, first time I've used it on the 993. What can I say the logging is so damn slow so I tried to log just a couple of items on each test run but still it is sloooowwww.

Firstly on the % throttle value the maximum I am seeing is 77% is that correct/normal ?

Can anyone say what sort of "load signal" number a 580hp engine should give, I am seeing about 9 at peak torque and 7 at peak power.

What is encouraging is that I am capturing mass air readings maxing at 1550kg/hr with lots of (19deg) timing at peak power, in my experience this sort of air mass seems about right for 580hp.

So I am am currently thinking that because my engine was tuned at 1 bar at 55C then at the current IAT of about 26C the ECU is reducing boost to hit the mass targets although a 0.2 bar reduction sounds like a lot to me but as I said the 1540kg/hr seems ball park ?

If there is a problem what is the best way to diagnose with the Durametric, which value is the one(s) to watch ?

Could I have some thoughts from our gurus please
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,403 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Can't help you. Good luck getting it sorted. But, be careful running 3 year old fuel. I am assuming most of the fuel is that old. The octane is going to be down. Among other potential issues.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Can't help you. Good luck getting it sorted. But, be careful running 3 year old fuel. I am assuming most of the fuel is that old. The octane is going to be down. Among other potential issues.
Excellent point, I hadn't thought of that, however I filled up with fresh 50 litres of 99RON so I think the fuel should be OK....
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM
July1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also fighting with mass flow and can't answer that.
My car is producing 570bhp so we should get the same flow.. but I'm over fueling and so my readings may not be right.
But concerning the TPS, the normal reading according to the Porsche manual is 84° +/- 3° so you should check the that you have the full travel of the throttle and probably adjust the cable. Either on the pedal or in the prop tunnel.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throttle position on the Durametric always seems to max at around 77%; normal reading.

I thought my TPS was faulty when I first saw the reading so forked out for a new sensor, was about £125 (5 years ago) but new one read exactly the same.

Can't help too much on the other readings apart from I recall the Head temp was about 142 C at maximum. Sorry not much help!

Are you the guy that beat all those "modern super cars" with your 20 year old 911?

Quick Reply: Durametric trouble shooting on 993tt