Sponsored by:

C4 on a dyno -- total Disaster!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:06 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 on a dyno -- total Disaster!!

I posted the following on the 993 board and several found it useful, so I am putting it here where everything is four-wheel drive.

This is a follow-up to my post regarding the NY State Inspection where they put my 1995 c4 cabrio on the dynometer. It still seemed to run fine after the test, but members of this board told me that the viscous fluid may have burned up.

I took it to the shop and they were able to test drive it to ascertain whether the four-wheel-drive was working -- it wasn't.

The replacement of the coupling was started, and then the mechanic called me to say that the transaxle was sheared! Cut in half! Amazing. He is now replacing this (I inspected the damage myself -- ) as part of the fix. He will also check the entire drivetrain/tranny back to the engine for additional problems.

Obviously, these are costly repairs. The original guy who did the inspection is trying to say that NY State says the owner is responsible for any damage on a dyno -- I will have to sue him to get him to pay.

All of this sucks so bad because I had just gotten the car -- it is my first Porsche -- and now it is in the shop for two weeks -- just missed an Indian Summer weekend in New York!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:08 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this the dyno for getting it smoged? If so probably the independent shop or state would be responsible for the damage, so a lawsuit should name both parties?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:48 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads up to that. It had occurred to me, but I will discuss it with the attorney when we meet.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:44 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In New York State, they need to test emissions while the car is going at forty mph -- dyno is the way they do it. According to DMV website, 4WD cars are exempt, but my jerk inspector "forgot" this and it ended up costing me $5K which I am suing him for. It should be an open and shut case because the machine takes a photo of every car it tests!

Quick Reply: C4 on a dyno -- total Disaster!!