Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 2 into 1, cross type exhaust (new garage doors and light..)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
^^ I don't know why you would get more flames with the quieter exhaust.
It is I think unburnt fuel with the ecu trying to protect the engine and running things rich. Maybe the fuel is being 'collected' more or the exhaust flow is such that it can ignite easier with the quieter muffler? I only noticed it on mine in pics and video friends took, usually happens at the end of a straight or when shifting. I think it correlates to coming off the gas after WOT? The throttle body should close when you come off the loud pedal so it should not be getting any more fuel. But maybe the exhaust slows down enough that it can ignite? anyone know?
Yeah probably several factors.
My quiet exhaust was clearly running very warm, to restrictive. Temp may be an issue. It probably aloud more unburned fuel to "collect" in the mufflers if that is possible !

Yes it's when letting off the gaz to shift or at end of straights going from throttle to brakes.

It's pretty cool though !
Old 01-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought you might chime in Mike!
I don't know the expansion coefficients but your math and estimate lengths seems okay to me. I've removed everything but have not started cutting, so I could put it all back together without doing anything. There are no cracks or any problems, I was just thinking..
3/8 seem like a fair amount or do you think that's okay, that's 9mm. That seems like a bit to have the exhaust accept by bending??
I could see how things go with one side and if it's a lot of work, just do one side. Looking at it now, it looks kind of difficult to get things lined up when building and am surprised that I managed to pull off building the thing in the first place. hmmmm.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:27 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

The lights are bright, hard to show in pictures, but it is like daylight. I put in more lights around the lift. The color is 400K, similar to daylight. I'll have to see how the shadows are when I'm working, I can change positions of the strips if need be.
Very nice -- you might consider lighting the floor under the lift illuminating upwards.

Mike
Old 01-20-2017, 03:11 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^good idea thx, will put strips of leds into my wood platform (that I use to get clearance for the lift)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:14 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Have dove in, don't look too closely at the welds, seems my tig skills don't get any better if I only used the welder once or twice a year... just glad I'm not blowing holes in the pipe.
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2017, 03:45 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Check this out re: grey welds - I learned a LOT from Jody on his web site. Really good teacher and welder.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...eel-welds.html

As for my math, one assumption I made is the exhaust system is a uniform 1200F - which I think is way too high. Not sure when your car is back on the road, but it would be interesting to see what the actual temperatures are. I will check my car in early March when its back on the road.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Thx for the link, I noticed that the gas still flows after I take my foot off the pedal...should leave welding head close to the weld as it cools, hadn't been doing that. Probably main problem. I'll do more welding today, I'll see if things improve!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Btw, anyone know if the exhaust flow is spinning when it exits the turbos? And if so in what direction? I ask because I think fluids flow better when spinning don't they? Like a bullet? Was thinking of adding a baffle in the proximal pipe so that the exhaust gases spin but don't want to spin in the wrong direction if already spinning...
Old 01-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Post welding shielding is important - it should be adjustable on your welder. I usually use 3 - 5 seconds. The idea is to shield the weld while it cools from the air - so make sure you have enough gas flow. Too much and you waste argon and you can disturb the weld.

Thx for the link, I noticed that the gas still flows after I take my foot off the pedal...should leave welding head close to the weld as it cools, hadn't been doing that. Probably main problem. I'll do more welding today, I'll see if things improve!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

On the miller diversion there's no adjustment for the post welding shielding, I also have firepower welder that does have an adjustment (among other settings). Looks like I'm getting a little better!? Forget the swirling exhaust, silly idea and don't want parts falling off inside..
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I got the firepower when the miller broke and was off getting fixed. My impression is that the miller works better for aluminum. (Or at least the preprogrammed settings seem to work well for me). It's sort of fool proof as it only has 2 switches and one ****. On/off, steel/aluminum, and amperage.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:47 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Finished the welding, added another small chamber to the mixing chamber. Will work on the bumper tomorrow
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:01 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like your having fun. I'm thinking of replacing my setup
Old 01-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^ yup, too much fun
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Angry

My bench is too small so working with drill press on the floor
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: DIY 2 into 1, cross type exhaust (new garage doors and light..)