Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSS9 Bilstein Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003 | 01:34 PM
F355993TT
Track Day

Default PSS9 Bilstein Kit

Anyone have this kit on your 993TT. I recently purchased the kit for my car but am apprehensive on putting it on. My local Porsche Performance Shop said I wouldn't like the ride for the street even on the softest setting because it would still be much stiffer than stock. I also have a back problem which makes me more sensitve to the bumps. Please reply with your personal experience on the kit. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2003 | 01:42 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Hi F355993TT, welcome to the board.

Many people have the pss-9 setup for their TT on this board.

These threads may help you get started: http://p-car.com/susfaq.html

You can also search on this board and on the 993 board. There's tons and tons of information. The shocks were the same for the turbo and normally aspirated cars.

If you have a back problem, why don't you just stick with the stock springs and shocks? Or another option would be to just upgrade to the Porsche Rest of World springs, which are progressive.
Old 11-05-2003 | 01:42 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Do a search. EVERBODY who has it seems to love it.
Old 11-05-2003 | 10:13 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

F355993TT,

Usually your ride improves when you add the PSS9s as they add dampening back into your car. Most people wait until they literally have no shocks left (so the car is basically bouncing on the springs) until they change them. With good shocks, even a higher spring rate can be damped to give a nice ride. The PSS9s are a very good, complete solution. You do not have to worry about about a thing. It also give you the ability to adjust the ride height of your car.

So welcome to the board. Where are located?
Old 11-07-2003 | 01:10 AM
cwlred911
Intermediate

The shop that told you that the PSS9s will be too stiff even at their softest settings DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. You will get a much better ride with the PSS9s if you set them at about 6 front, 7 rear (1 being most stiff). The ride will improve because your car will no longer have sharp pitching motions.

By the way, do not allow that shop to do your suspension.
Old 11-07-2003 | 11:37 AM
F355993TT
Track Day

Default PSS9

Thanks for all the good advice Viperbob, Jeff, Johnfm, and cwlred911. I am going ahead with the install next week.
Old 11-07-2003 | 12:21 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I think you are going to be very pleased with the results.... You'll have to give us an update with some pictures after the 'transformation'.
Old 11-17-2003 | 11:57 PM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Help! I am about to install the PSS9 on my '97 TT. However there is a missing part with my set.
The missing part is suppose to be a linkage between the shock and the car. (the extra link extending from the lower shock). The shop told me if I install the RS rear sway bar (which mounts lower than stock bar), I'll have enough clearance and therefore I do not need the missing linkage.
Is this true?

With -1.5 degree front and -1.8 degree rear camber as Steve suggested, would it be too much on the tires? I do 20% track and 80% normal driving. I don't mind a little wear. but not too much.

With 20% track driving, should I go with 6 Front and 7 Rear (Stiffness adjustment) as CWLRED911 mentioned?

THanks!

Old 11-18-2003 | 02:56 AM
cwlred911
Intermediate

CS2CC6, congrads on the purchase of the PSS9s. The ride at 7 frt and 6 rear is not too firm IMO (I had the settings backwards on my original post). It will depend on the type of road surfaces you are driving on. Whats nice about the PSS9s is that you can change the damping quite easily to adjust to your liking. I do about 20% track driving also, and I adjust the damping to 5 frt and 4 rear for the track. I am running on Kumo R compounds on the track, and with the extra tire grip, the extra shock damping is very useful.

I hope you can solve your install problems. P.S. I have RS sways on my car.

Calvin
Old 11-18-2003 | 03:43 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by CS2CC6
Help! I am about to install the PSS9 on my '97 TT. However there is a missing part with my set.
The missing part is suppose to be a linkage between the shock and the car. (the extra link extending from the lower shock). The shop told me if I install the RS rear sway bar (which mounts lower than stock bar), I'll have enough clearance and therefore I do not need the missing linkage.
Is this true?
Ahh, the famous Bilstein drop link issue.

You can use the stock sway bars, but you have to be very exact on where you mount the sway bar mount. In exact, I mean you have to count the exact # of threads from the bottom of the shock to the bottom of the sway bar mount.

With the sway bar mount in the correct position, you can use the short bilstein drop links and juuuuust get enough clearance. But it's cutting it pretty close, probably a few MM's clearance at best. You can change the height of the sway bar mount, but then you push the ride height of the rears up a bit. It's a bit of a balanceing act.

Coupled with the problem of when you want to adjust your sway bar mount requireing you to remove/replace the shock everytime == added frustration.

Another quick ( and cheap ) option is to get shorter drop links. Viperbob has a set that are shorter than the stock bilstein ones and much, much stronger. We did an install of the shorter drop links and the OEM sway bar last weekend and didn't have any clearance issues and the install was very clean. Contact viperbob if you want a set.

So the short answer is that you DO NOT need RS bars for everything to work. However, you'd probably WANT RS or TRG bars because they will reduce understeer and are adjustable. With the RS/TRG bars, the drop link issue is moot, since the bar is below the suspension arm and there's plenty of clearance then.
Old 11-18-2003 | 07:22 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

C2SCC6.

The thing that Jeff didn't mention is that the Drop Links I sell are adjustable. So if your Sway Bar mounts are close on both sides, you can adjust the links after your alignment to insure NO sway bar preload. A lot of time you do not want the shock mounts at the same point, but there is no way to know until after your alignment, and then to modify this you have to remove the shock which then throws off the Kinematic Toe. Kind of a Catch 22.

These are what I install next to the stock Bilstein Drop Link.

PM me if you have any questions. Good luck with the install.....
Old 11-18-2003 | 10:29 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have it on mine. No problems so far, ride is great. I have moine set on 2 but am going to go to 4 next week.
Old 11-19-2003 | 03:01 AM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Thanks for all your input!

I decided to go with the RS bar and should be getting the car later today! can't wait.
However, I only got the rear bar. Would that be a problem on the track?

thanks,

Quick Reply: PSS9 Bilstein Kit